Rebuild MVC\A10

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Rebuild MVC\A10

Postby Someone_Else » January 9th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Assuming Creighton, Xavier, Dayton, STL, and Butler go to the Catholic Conference could we build a new conference after scrapping the MVC and A10 conferences and picking up George Mason\Davidson and try for a new TV deal since NBC\Fox\CBS needs content?

West - Bradley, Ill State, Ind State, Mo St., N Iowa, WSU, So Ill dropping Evansville and Drake from MVC
East - VCU, St Joe, La Salle, Richmond, Umass, GW, George Mason, St Bon dropping RI, Fordham, and Duquesne from A10.
Someone_Else
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Rebuild MVC\A10

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Rebuild MVC\A10

Postby Haha » January 9th, 2013, 2:14 pm

First off you can't simply kick schools out of a league. Seems like a lot of trouble for Valley schools when they will only be hit with one loss and the A-10 will be hit pretty hard. One positive, I believe, for the Valley will be taking a perm step in front of the A-10 if Butler, Xavier, Dayton, Saint Louis all exit. Also I doubt UMass will be staying around long at all. I see them going to the nBE.

Now I wouldn't mind seeing VCU, Richmond, George Mason, Davidson, and Belmont added to Valley for a 14 team Valley.

West:

Wichita State
Drake
Missouri State
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Illinois State
Bradley

East:

Indy St
Evansville
Belmont
Davidson
VCU
Richmond
George Mason

I would like to add that I think the Valley should really just stay at 9 schools and this is all fantasy talk but thats my two cents. Also if I believed a new league all together was possible then I would want something different than this but I don't.
Haha
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 9th, 2013, 3:21 pm

See, if the C7 adds who we think they will add...I think the MVC can overtake the A-10 in basketball quality, so why merge with them?
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby WhiskeySierraUniform » January 9th, 2013, 3:55 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:See, if the C7 adds who we think they will add...I think the MVC can overtake the A-10 in basketball quality, so why merge with them?

Reason #1 = $
Reason #2 = $
Reason #3 = $
"I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." Anthony Kiedis
WhiskeySierraUniform
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Someone_Else » January 9th, 2013, 4:07 pm

If you simply added to the MVC or to the A10 you would fall under the existing TV contracts. If you dissolved the leagues you could pick and choose who you wanted and could negotiate a new TV contract for the new league. It's all about the $.
Someone_Else
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 9th, 2013, 4:15 pm

But if you change membership within the league you can renegotiate the TV contract anyways.

Plus, remember the C7 is doing this in part because all of their autobids are secure because the same 7 teams are staying together. Either 7 MVC or 7 A-10 teams would have to band together as part of this.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby pafan » January 10th, 2013, 8:39 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:See, if the C7 adds who we think they will add...I think the MVC can overtake the A-10 in basketball quality, so why merge with them?

This was an interesting idea, so I grabbed the numbers. (Details below, summary at the bottom)

Current Average Sagarin Ratings for the A10: 78.05 (8th place)
Current Average Sagarin Rating for the MVC: 77.25 (9th place)

When you remove Butler (2nd place), Temple (3rd place), SLU (4th place), Dayton (5th place), [Charlotte, 7th place] and Xavier (10th place) from the A10, you're left with an average of 75.63. That puts this league between the WCC and the Horizon.

When you remove CU (1st place) from the MVC, you're left with an average of 76.06, just below the newly depleted A10.

For giggles, a 12-team conference composed of the Catholic 7 and the teams mentioned above would have an average Sagarin number of 80.13, just ahead of the SEC.

For even more giggles, the Big East with its scheduled 2014 members (Cincy, UCONN, UCF, USF, Memphis, SMU, E. Carolina, Temple, Tulane, Houston) would rate at 78.09 and rank just below the SEC

To review, if the conference realignments were in effect now, the conferences line up this way:
6 -- Jesuit El-Heaven plus Butler :Beer:
7 -- SEC
8 -- Big East
9 -- WCC
10 -- MVC
11 -- A10
12 -- Horizon

update #1: Removed Charlotte from A10 per DJA
Last edited by pafan on January 10th, 2013, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 10th, 2013, 9:02 pm

pafan wrote:When you remove Butler (2nd place), Temple (3rd place), SLU (4th place), Dayton (5th place) and Xavier (10th place) from the A10, you're left with an average of 76.19. That puts this league between the WCC and the Horizon.

You can take out one more from the A10. Charlotte is leaving after this year to join another conference for its FB program.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » January 10th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Fixed. Removing Charlotte allows the MVC to leapfrog the A10. Thanks DJA.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby squirrel » January 11th, 2013, 8:33 am

I'd be interested in Bradley latching on to a A10/Horizon (plus Drexel and Oakland) hybrid if St. Joseph's and LaSalle, and either Dayton or SLU are involved.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball