Can everyone just act like adults here please?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Can everyone just act like adults here please?

Postby rjl » January 11th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Now that we're all "act[ing] like adults," I think we can all agree that we've scored a moral victory here.

And after all, isn't that what most of this conference is about?
rjl
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby RoyalShock » January 11th, 2013, 3:23 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:Independent of the post you're asking about, the end of the path you're taking with this question is having a policy that any and every post that could be considered questionable gets deleted, without comment or discussion.

Well, in all fairness, that does seem to be the policy that was followed this morning.

Are you not able to see the difference between one fan posting positive current and historical accomplishments of his team (totally independent of your team), and you starting a new topic to list another team's infraction history?

Either you're being intentionally obtuse because your issue is really with the other poster, or you've become irrational. Perhaps it's time to take a self-imposed hiatus from the board.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby C0|db|00ded » January 11th, 2013, 3:28 pm

RoyalShock wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:Independent of the post you're asking about, the end of the path you're taking with this question is having a policy that any and every post that could be considered questionable gets deleted, without comment or discussion.

Well, in all fairness, that does seem to be the policy that was followed this morning.

Are you not able to see the difference between one fan posting positive current and historical accomplishments of his team (totally independent of your team), and you starting a new topic to list another team's infraction history?

Either you're being intentionally obtuse because your issue is really with the other poster, or you've become irrational. Perhaps it's time to take a self-imposed hiatus from the board.

+1

He is so angry he doesn't even know when to stop trolling. I hope everything goes well for DoubleBJ's team on the 19th or we could see the barriers of sanity strained on this fine forum.

T

...:cool:
C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby C0|db|00ded » January 11th, 2013, 3:35 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
shoxrox wrote:The original thread by ISASO actually didn't incite anybody. It was more of a toot your own horn type of thread. It wasn't anything like what the BJ fan created this morning. Now that was a straight bait thread.

Just to be clear, I agree the original thread start by ISASO wasn't what warranted the locking - it was the derailment of the thread later on that caused it. The other 2 I locked were both bait threads from the start.

I'm sure you've learned now that it's best to just leave the vast majority of threads alone. Once you delete or lock one, you are most likely going to piss off the same amount of people that were already offended and whom you were trying to placate by addressing it. Now, if your actions were self-imposed and there was no ground-swelling of complaints to lock those threads... well then.. bad move. You got yourself caught up in the natural order of things and made the place worse this morning. In that case you should sit in the moderator's penalty box for a brief period and think about what you've done.

T

C0|db|00ded
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 11th, 2013, 3:37 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:

This morning, I saw a couple threads that were clearly veering badly. I didn't even blame or ban or even warn any individual. It was pretty obvious those threads were headed nowhere good fast.

It was a judgment call. And a call that didn't indict any single poster of any wrongdoing.

Feel free to question my judgment on it.

Out of curiosity, why was that thread not considered a bait thread? What other possible purpose could that thread have been started for?

I saw it as a pro-WSU thread. I didn't see it going after any particular person or fan base. It would take some hell of a context to say that that type of thread was a thinly veiled shot at another program.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheAsianSensation » January 11th, 2013, 3:45 pm

C0|db|00ded wrote:I'm sure you've learned now that it's best to just leave the vast majority of threads alone. Once you delete or lock one, you are most likely going to piss off the same amount of people that were already offended and whom you were trying to placate by addressing it. Now, if your actions were self-imposed and there was no ground-swelling of complaints to lock those threads... well then.. bad move. You got yourself caught up in the natural order of things and made the place worse this morning. In that case you should sit in the moderator's penalty box for a brief period and think about what you've done.

T

It looks like passive is indeed better. I will say there was at least one reported post this morning stemming from all that, so I felt idling by was too risky.

But you are correct. I won't keep pushing back out in the open like this. Consider my mouth shut on the issue (PM box is open if anyone needs it).
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby shoxrox » January 11th, 2013, 7:13 pm

RoyalShock wrote:Are you not able to see the difference between one fan posting positive current and historical accomplishments of his team (totally independent of your team), and you starting a new topic to list another team's infraction history?

:+1:
USA Today Coaches Top 25 Poll Conference Breakdown:

MVC: 1
WCC: 1
Atlantic Ten: 1
MWC: 1
Big East: 1

The Big East is Big Time.
shoxrox
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » January 11th, 2013, 10:13 pm

C0|db|00ded wrote:
Thus, we rely on others reporting questionable or inappropriate posts/topics.

Now you've done it. Prepare for 3 million post/thread reports over the foreseeable future.

I would have said something like: The moderators do their best to remain fair and impartial. Please understand that any perceived imbalance in moderative actions was not intentional. KTHXBAI!

T

Cold being reasonable and moderate?? Good lord!! Are you campaigning to be a moderator? :lol:
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 11th, 2013, 10:32 pm

ihsi wrote:No further message.

Liberal.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball