Post-Game comments UE defeats WSU

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Aargh » January 14th, 2013, 11:05 pm

The game thread took an unfortunate turn, so my comments don't fit in with the hijack tht went on there.

1) UE has good team. UE took WSU out of their offensive patterns. That frustrated WSU's perimeter players and those players responded poorly.

2) UE gets some credit for the massive TO's, but there were a lot of silly (at best) TO's by WSU.

3) On that court on that night, UE was the better team.

4) WSU's guard play is too inconsistent for WSU to be a top-25 team. A top-25 team will not fold on the perimeter like WSU did against the D that UE presented.

5) This is a bad loss for WSU. UE may be a top-100 rpi team this year, but in the general opinion of the national media and public, WSU may as well have lost to any team whose name ends with "ville" - like Jacksonville.

6) This loss could be a legitimate problem for WSU's resume if WSU is on the bubble for an NCAA invite.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Post-Game comments UE defeats WSU

Postby Comin' Up Aces » January 14th, 2013, 11:28 pm

You have restored my beliefs that not all WSU fans are blinded by arrogance. I'm glad you posted this in its own thread, or I may have missed it amongst the hate flinging, which of course comes from both sides.

As to your post, I think that if Wichita finishes 2nd, they'll still be fine as a bubble team. If UE continues to win, finishes in the top 4, and nears 20 wins, this may not end up being a "bad loss" according to RPI by season's end.

In reality, it seems very possible that the loss @Tennessee is more likely to be the bad loss for the Shockers, although I know what the polls think when they see Evansville vs when they see Tennessee. However, come tourney time, the selection committee does take into account RPI, and as of right now, according to realtimeRPI, UE-78 and UT-99.

And if that still doesn't make you feel safe, well, the Shockers have a BIG opportunity to make a splash with Creighton coming to Wichita soon. Win that, and you are securely in the tourney, Barring any monumental let-downs the rest of the way
Comin' Up Aces
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Bball Junkie » January 15th, 2013, 8:26 am

From the original post above (Aargh)

5) This is a bad loss for WSU. UE may be a top-100 rpi team this year, but in the general opinion of the national media and public, WSU may as well have lost to any team whose name ends with "ville" - like Jacksonville.

So, I guess you would consider a loss to Louisville as a bad loss too based on perception?
Bball Junkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shockem » January 15th, 2013, 10:51 am

Nothing we can do can get that game back, everyone will drop a game they shouldn't, that's just how it goes. At this point, WSU needs to win 2 game this week to restore the media's faith and pray that Evansville has a strong season. There's no reason they can't finish 3rd in the conference and start turning some heads.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MoBraves » January 15th, 2013, 12:44 pm

The Shockers will be just fine no matter how Evansville does the rest of the season.
They might lose a couple more, but 3 or even 4 losses in the Valley should not be detrimental.
MoBraves
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball