Creighton @ Wichita State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby CBB_Fan » January 16th, 2013, 10:30 pm

As a Wichita State fan, this spot is supposed to be where I predict a Shocker blowout and Early out-playing McDermott. But my head is telling me that is not how this game will go.

Right now, Creighton is a team with an identity. They have their rotation set, their roleplayers know their roles well, and as a team they know what they need to do to win. Wichita State is not at that point yet. This is due partially to the lack of D1 experience on the team and partially due to the injury situation.

Wichita State is not the team that they will be in March. They are trying to incorporate a lot of moving pieces into a cohesive unit, and still have time to go to fully grow as a team. A lot of what they do well will be negated by Creighton's ability to flat shoot the ball, so they really need to have Early and Wiggins step it up and take away some of Creighton's advantage from long-range.

If this game is close, I think defense and home-court advantage will let the Shockers come away with a W. If it is a blowout, it will not be in the Shockers favor. Wichita State will need to play their best basketball of the season, and this game will get ugly quickly if they have the foul or turnover problems they've experienced recently.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Creighton @ Wichita State

Postby DUBulldog » January 16th, 2013, 10:32 pm

Any TV for that game? Should be a real good one.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Shockerfan13 » January 16th, 2013, 10:36 pm

DUBulldog wrote:Any TV for that game? Should be a real good one.

ESPN2
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ShockJones » January 16th, 2013, 10:36 pm

ESPN2 at 3 PM.
ShockJones
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Shockerfan13 » January 16th, 2013, 10:39 pm

On the post game tonight Marshall said that Creighton is the best MVC team he has seen in his 6 years of coaching in the Valley. Unfortunately I would have to agree. I have a feeling the Shox might be wearing down some having to play so many newcomers not used to the Valley grind. Creighton, on the otherhand, is staying the course.

This one should probably be a 10-15pt Creighton win. I hope I am wrong and the Shox can somehow pull it out. I feel confident that the Shox can beat any other team in the Valley. This one, not so confident. I will be there cheering loudly though. GO SHOX!
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CBB_Fan » January 16th, 2013, 10:40 pm

I hope it is. This is the sort of game that may end up defining the regular season for these two teams, especially because it will put a lasting impression on the people watching it from outside the conference.

Wish Wichita State was ranked for it. I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar to last year happen with Wichita State and Creighton getting wins on each other's courts, simply because Wichita State will be a much better team in a couple of months.

Ultimately, the Shockers are still just making too many mistakes right now to give me much confidence, but a lot of that is just the weird way their season has played out. They'd played well in big games so far though.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby musiccitybulldog » January 16th, 2013, 10:53 pm

On one hand something tells me Creighton will win by 14-16.

But, after years of watching big games at the Round House something tells me the Wichita fans aren't going to let that happen. That alone could be the difference.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CBB_Fan » January 16th, 2013, 10:56 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:On one hand something tells me Creighton will win by 14-16.

But, after years of watching big games at the Round House something tells me the Wichita fans aren't going to let that happen. That alone could be the difference.

If you look at the way the teams are playing, Creighton should be reasonably expected to win by about that margin.

For the good of Wichita State, the MVC, and the joy of watching a close game on national television, I hope that isn't the case. Somehow, someway, I hope the team (and the fans) manage to steal this one.
CBB_Fan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby iSASO » January 16th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Despite being in one of the Top 10 College Basketball Destinations in the country, Creighton will win. They are simply the best MVC team since the 1982 Wichita State team that advanced to the Elite Eight.

Creighton will score relentlessly on Shocker turnovers. Doug will have another of his typical star-studded performances against WSU, reminding Shocker fans of Oscar Robertson.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 16th, 2013, 11:27 pm

For Creighton the keys will be 3 pt shooting, not turning the ball over and handling the press. I do worry greatly about WSU's superior athleticism and the full court press. I also have no idea who will defend Early.

I hope WSU sticks with the recent trend of lots of fouls turnovers.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball