Should Drake and Evansville be encouraged to leave te MVC?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby getreal4 » January 21st, 2013, 5:31 pm

Both programs currently lack the financial commitment of mid pack MVC Men's BB programs. Neither school appears to have the necessary administration commitment to increase men's basketball resources.

Would it be healthier in the long run for the Valley overall to force both schools to increase Men's BB financial commitments or leave? Not doing anything eventually forces the better teams to look at other options. Or is the MVC doomed to Summit League level after Creighton leaves?
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Should Drake and Evansville be encouraged to leave te MV

Postby pafan » January 21st, 2013, 5:41 pm

getreal4 wrote:Both programs currently lack the financial commitment of mid pack MVC Men's BB programs.

If you were going to vote out the two schools who spend the least on Men's BB, you'd be voting out Missouri State and Indiana State.

Both of these have larger total athletic budgets than Drake and Evansville, likely on account of FCS football.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby DUShock » January 21st, 2013, 5:48 pm

Drake is the oldest member and therefore, in my opinion, remains until it desires a departure.

Go Valley!

Go Shocks!!
DUShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » January 21st, 2013, 5:54 pm

Drake has become a boat anchor.

Worst arena in the league, worst fan support in the league, an AD who is obviously incredibly stubborn or simply out of touch. They simply fit much, much better in the Summit League. They would be able to compete with the Western Illinois' of the world. Remember they dropped balloons and confetti when Dr Tom clinched a .500 season.

This is a school that has employed both Rudy Washington and Kurt Kanaskie as their head coach for long periods of time.

You can't even blame Phelps for this. If I was still getting paid, I'd keep showing up too.

Evansville is an interesting case. They play in a nice building, they have a new practice facility. Marty is great on the bench, but doesn't appear to be a great recruiter. Their profile probably fits the Horizon league a bit better, but they aren't killing the league like Drake is.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » January 21st, 2013, 7:35 pm

No, let them stay. I would hate for Shocker fans to get spoiled by having interesting games, like when Creighton visits, every night.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 22nd, 2013, 10:11 am

BCPanther wrote:Drake has become a boat anchor.

Worst arena in the league, worst fan support in the league, an AD who is obviously incredibly stubborn or simply out of touch. They simply fit much, much better in the Summit League. They would be able to compete with the Western Illinois' of the world. Remember they dropped balloons and confetti when Dr Tom clinched a .500 season.

This is a school that has employed both Rudy Washington and Kurt Kanaskie as their head coach for long periods of time.

You can't even blame Phelps for this. If I was still getting paid, I'd keep showing up too.

Evansville is an interesting case. They play in a nice building, they have a new practice facility. Marty is great on the bench, but doesn't appear to be a great recruiter. Their profile probably fits the Horizon league a bit better, but they aren't killing the league like Drake is.

Fire the female AD and things will get better. There are few female executive managers, who are visionaries. Female managers are process oriented. They love policies and procedures. They love flow charts and task teams. They love QA, JIT and other acronyms. It is just the way they were raised and the dictates of their genes. :D
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rjl » January 22nd, 2013, 10:33 am

Ricardo del Rio wrote:Fire the female AD and things will get better. There are few female executive managers, who are visionaries. Female managers are process oriented. They love policies and procedures. They love flow charts and task teams. They love QA, JIT and other acronyms. It is just the way they were raised and the dictates of their genes. :D

The tryouts for Mad Men were last week.
rjl
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Ali » January 22nd, 2013, 10:35 am

Certain posters should be encouraged to leave the board.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby FearDaTrees » January 22nd, 2013, 10:46 am

I think both should stay put. Personally, Ithink we need to add 2 teams like NDSU and SDSU...both play in MVC in football and NDSU has lots of cash and alumni.
FearDaTrees
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 22nd, 2013, 10:57 am

pafan wrote:If you were going to vote out the two schools who spend the least on Men's BB, you'd be voting out Missouri State and Indiana State.

Is that right? I'm not shocked by INS, but would have never guessed MSU. I've been saying for years that football is the main thing that keeps this conference from being better across the board.

The interesting thing here is that Drake and INS both have NCAA tourney births in the past several years (and Drake even has a regular season crown), whereas schools like MSU, ILS and Evansville do not, although MSU does have a regular season title.

I don't think anyone should be forced to leave, per se.

I think a better option would be to implement a certain minimum financial commitment level. If a school can't meet that, then they are booted. I can't fault a school just because they make a bad coaching hire as everybody does that at some point in time. Maybe even add a clause that indicates that if the school still makes the NCAA tournament despite not having met the minimum investment threshold, they are given a greater time period to comply, provided they have an actual plan for doing so. That way you aren't punishing somebody who is using their limited resources effectively.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball