NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby BCPanther » February 8th, 2013, 3:14 pm

squirrel wrote:
BCPanther wrote:Is Bradley really paying Geno $700k??

If so, good job Braves...

Yep. It's believed incentives can push it to 950-1M

Admirable. Very admirable. Nice job on investing in a guy who seems to 'get it'. Early returns point to Geno being very successful in this league...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Lakesbison » February 8th, 2013, 3:21 pm

NDSU new arena will bring 6000-7000 avg. New coach at $250k would be hired. NDSU football coach gets $375k since they win natty titles!
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Fargobison » February 8th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Mikovio wrote:
Fargobison wrote:I'm not sure what the issue with football is, NDSU football is not like most programs. It sustains itself and feeds money into the athletic department. I think that is a reason why NDSU has always had strong success in athletics across the the board. Most schools spend a ton of money on football and don't come close to meeting expenses.

The issue with football is that NDSU values its football program over its basketball program. If it turns a profit, great, but where is the profit going? Probably reinvested back into the football program, along with whatever revenue the basketball program churns out.

Case in point: SDSU is raising $28 million for a football indoor practice facility--

http://www.sdstate.edu/news/articles/sdsu-sandford.cfm

Meanwhile the basketball team plays in a dumpy half filled 6k seat arena that's actually had its capacity significantly reduced over the last 20 years.

NDSU pays its football coach $206k, along with a cut of ticket sales and performance bonuses. But its basketball coach would be far and away the lowest paid in the MVC.

Mens basketball coaches salaries
Creighton $1.35M
Wichita $900k
Bradley $700k
UNI $500k
ISU Red $375k
MSU $241k
SIU $300k (but they were paying Lowery $750k IIRC)
Drake $274k
ISU Blue $219k
Evansville $180k
SDSU $152k
NDSU $135k

I'm pretty sure our coach was paid $135k six years ago when he was hired and NDSU was just moving into a conference. I'm pretty sure he has gotten an extension since then, not to mention his contract calls for an annual raise.

SDSU is building that facility because they need it. Their basketball arena is ok but they need an indoor practice facility for football, baseball, track and softball. Those sports have nowhere to go but I'm guessing the basketball arena during the winter months.

Basketball is the priority right now at NDSU, the arena will be completely renovated and it will add a practice facility as well just for basketball. Football has everything it will need for at least the next 10 years. Plus I don't think locking up a good football program is a bad idea, maybe some day the MVC will want to go FBS. It would certainly open the conference up to some new membership options.
Fargobison
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Jays26 » February 8th, 2013, 3:29 pm

Lakesbison wrote:NDSU new arena will bring 6000-7000 avg. New coach at $250k would be hired. NDSU football coach gets $375k since they win natty titles!

We have found the equivalent to Cold in the Dakotas! :Bam:
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rbus » February 8th, 2013, 3:48 pm

I have no problem with the dakotas, but I don't see how them joining the MVC benefits anybody but XDSU. I couldn't care less about football exposure and they would not help our basketball profile at all. Major market exposure? No. Tradition of winning? No. Natural rivalries? No. Within existing footprint? No. Additional expenses for all sports? Yes.

I'd pass. Then again, it's not up to me. :D
rbus
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Jet915 » February 8th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Jays26 wrote:
Lakesbison wrote:NDSU new arena will bring 6000-7000 avg. New coach at $250k would be hired. NDSU football coach gets $375k since they win natty titles!

We have found the equivalent to Cold in the Dakotas! :Bam:

I don't think I would be able to handle another Cold, I sure hope if this happens, Creighton is long gone...
Last edited by Jet915 on February 8th, 2013, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » February 8th, 2013, 4:39 pm

Fargobison wrote:
Mikovio wrote:
Fargobison wrote:I'm not sure what the issue with football is, NDSU football is not like most programs. It sustains itself and feeds money into the athletic department. I think that is a reason why NDSU has always had strong success in athletics across the the board. Most schools spend a ton of money on football and don't come close to meeting expenses.

The issue with football is that NDSU values its football program over its basketball program. If it turns a profit, great, but where is the profit going? Probably reinvested back into the football program, along with whatever revenue the basketball program churns out.

Case in point: SDSU is raising $28 million for a football indoor practice facility--

http://www.sdstate.edu/news/articles/sdsu-sandford.cfm

Meanwhile the basketball team plays in a dumpy half filled 6k seat arena that's actually had its capacity significantly reduced over the last 20 years.

NDSU pays its football coach $206k, along with a cut of ticket sales and performance bonuses. But its basketball coach would be far and away the lowest paid in the MVC.

Mens basketball coaches salaries
Creighton $1.35M
Wichita $900k
Bradley $700k
UNI $500k
ISU Red $375k
MSU $241k
SIU $300k (but they were paying Lowery $750k IIRC)
Drake $274k
ISU Blue $219k
Evansville $180k
SDSU $152k
NDSU $135k

I'm pretty sure our coach was paid $135k six years ago when he was hired and NDSU was just moving into a conference. I'm pretty sure he has gotten an extension since then, not to mention his contract calls for an annual raise.

SDSU is building that facility because they need it. Their basketball arena is ok but they need an indoor practice facility for football, baseball, track and softball. Those sports have nowhere to go but I'm guessing the basketball arena during the winter months.

Basketball is the priority right now at NDSU, the arena will be completely renovated and it will add a practice facility as well just for basketball. Football has everything it will need for at least the next 10 years. Plus I don't think locking up a good football program is a bad idea, maybe some day the MVC will want to go FBS. It would certainly open the conference up to some new membership options.

According to USA Today, you paid him only $121k in 2009. The highest figure I can find anywhere is $135k but please show us otherwise.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/printedi ... /index.htm
http://www.mylosingseason.net/2012/10/c ... aries.html
http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/0719%20Salaries.pdf

Nobody who builds an IPF "needs it." It gives your football and baseball teams an advantage over northern teams who aren't able to hold full practices in seasonably cold winters. It's something football schools do.

There is always more ways to spend on football. Always. Whether it be paying head coaches, paying assistant coaches, skybox upgrades, jumbotron upgrades or whatever. Especially if you're considering a move up to FBS. That ambition among the FCS schools in the Valley will kill basketball and lead to a Big East-style split.

Where is the announcement about a mens basketball practice facility? It's nice that you feel NDSU is going to make a basketball commitment in the future, but what we see right now is a football school that hires cut rate basketball coaches to coach in front of 3k crowds in a 5.8k stadium because its football coach wins (lower division) "nattys."
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby flybird1 » February 8th, 2013, 5:02 pm

You guys are being way too of seeing the glass half empty types, All I know is that these people are flush with cash because of the oil business, and money talks right? Who knows where this program, they've just been going up, up, and up, geography is a problem though, just remember San diego state was in the big east not too long ago, as far as geography I do want to know what the easternmost members think about this. Indiana State and Evansville. if NDSU can ease transportation costs, maybe it's not a problem.
Last edited by flybird1 on February 8th, 2013, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flybird1
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BCPanther » February 8th, 2013, 5:09 pm

I thought NDSU had money, but I am starting to rethink that.

They play football in an off campus facility that they don't own.

UNI is a good comparison with the successful football program. We are paying Farley 294k and Jake gets 500k. Even with 'nattys' they are only paying Bohl 206k and whoever the hell their basketball coach is only making 135k.

Hmmmmm. Seeing the numbers is really starting to change my views on NDSU...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Fargobison » February 8th, 2013, 5:18 pm

Mikovio wrote:
According to USA Today, you paid him only $121k in 2009. The highest figure I can find anywhere is $135k but please show us otherwise.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/printedi ... /index.htm
http://www.mylosingseason.net/2012/10/c ... aries.html
http://legacy.inforum.com/pdfs/0719%20Salaries.pdf

Nobody who builds an IPF "needs it." It gives your football and baseball teams an advantage over northern teams who aren't able to hold full practices in seasonably cold winters. It's something football schools do.

There is always more ways to spend on football. Always. Whether it be paying head coaches, paying assistant coaches, skybox upgrades, jumbotron upgrades or whatever. Especially if you're considering a move up to FBS. That ambition among the FCS schools in the Valley will kill basketball and lead to a Big East-style split.

Where is the announcement about a mens basketball practice facility? It's nice that you feel NDSU is going to make a basketball commitment in the future, but what we see right now is a football school that hires cut rate basketball coaches to coach in front of 3k crowds in a 5.8k stadium because its football coach wins (lower division) "nattys."

The city of Fargo pays to upgrade our football stadium, at least when it comes to suites and jumbotrons. I guess we would pay our coaches more. Here are the plans for basketball arena project, you can see the practice facility in the blueprints...

http://issuu.com/ndsuathletics/docs/edge

We paid him $135,000 in 2009, he gets an annual raise. I'm guessing he is at least north of 150k and if he wins he will make more. Bohl didn't get $300k when he first took the job, he was nowhere near that figure.
Fargobison
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball