NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby nokota » March 15th, 2013, 1:26 pm

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and when I read Jacksfan29 post, I felt I had something to contribute to the conversation.

The 4 Dakota schools are completely different... well, mostly. All four schools came from the Division II North Central Conference (NCC). Since all four of the schools have arrived in Division I in the past 10 years, I am using some Division II info for reference.

I am graduate and fan of the University of North Dakota, which is known for it's hockey, http://www.theralph.com/. Grand Forks is 70 miles from the Canadian border and is filled with Canadians shopping on weekends and it is a hockey nuts community. North Dakota does have a rich history in basketball and is second only to SDSU in the number of conference titles won in the old NCC. SDSU had 20 and UND 18...
http://northcentral.prestosports.com/Record_Book/08_Updates/08_MBB.pdf.
UND also produced a guy names Phil Jackson back in the 60's. You may have heard of him.
UND has also been historically a pretty good football program, finish second in number of NCC titles behind NDSU, 26-24. I know no one has mentioned UND as a possible candidate, but I have included them for Dakota perspective.

North Dakota State has been a football school. They were very successful in the DIvision II and then ran into a drought in the 90's and 00's. When they reclassified to Division I (FCS), they started building that program back up and have won the FCS Championship the past two years. Their basketball history, isn't as rich. They were a middle of the conference performer for the most part in the Division II ranks and have had some success in Division I, mostly because of a player that has since graduated, Ben Woodside. He brought NDSU to the Dance once. Like UND, NDSU is remote. It is 75 miles south of Grand Forks, which still puts it closer to Winnipeg MB than to Minneapolis. NDSU keeps talking about the renovation of the BSA, their dump of a basketball facility. They still are short of the funds to begin construction and even then I think they polishing a turd. http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=69829

Like I mentioned above, SDSU won more NCC Men's BB titles than any other schools. Their football program, has always been middle of the conference. I just don't think football has been a priority in Brookings. It has been and continues to be a basketball school. They have been in the MidCon/Summit now for 5 years and between the men's and women's programs have won 7 of the 10 titles in those five years. Geography wise Brookings is 200 miles closer to the MVC footprint than NDSU. SDSU plays in Frost Arena. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost_Arena. Frost isn't big, but it does have a nice basketball history and feel to it.

University of South Dakota is little further south than Brookings, putting it a little closer to the MVC foot print. USD is SDSU's little brother. They too are a basketball first school, but It is a smaller college and just doesn't seem to have the athletic history of big brother. They play currently play basketball in the DakotaDome, although there are plans for a new facility.

Conference perspective..

North Dakota was fortunate to get an invitation to join the Big Sky, as it is an outlier as far as conference mates. Unless North Dakota decides to go to FBS, I hope UND stays in the "mostly" football first Big Sky. I don't ever see basketball surpassing hockey

NDSU, like I said, football school. They seem to be content in the MVFC/Summit. If the Summit blows up, they need to look to the west, Big Sky. They will never fund BB over football.

SDSU.. of the four Dakota schools, they are the best candidate for the MVC. Even more so if they decided to dump their football program and put all of their money into basketball. They have a nice facility now and have basketball fans and history to boot.

USD, little brother. If the MVC is looking for two, little brother may fit the bill, as they love their basketball is South Dakota and they are building a new facility.
nokota
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Lakesbison » March 17th, 2013, 11:13 am

Ignore the und hockey goon.. how can anyone respect a word after she said this
"North Dakota was fortunate to get an invitation to join the Big Sky"

the big sky is ranked close to last in conf rpi your garbage team was 268 of 311 & finished 3rd haha.

NDSU/SDSU had 6670 at game full arena capacity could've sold 10,000 NDSU fans couldn't get tickets because sdsu fans were allowed to get tickets early and 2000 corporate tix for sponsors all went to them in sioux falls.

NDSU and sdsu deserve to be in mvc. Make it 12 teams with east/west divisions.

Uni
Drake
Ndsu
Sdsu
Miss state
Wichita

East
Evansville
Ill state
Ind st
Bradley
Siu
Belmont?
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » March 17th, 2013, 11:39 am

Thanks Nokota for the info. Some of us here are uneducated...in regard to what the Dakota schools can offer. If nothing else I am learning to love the passion of the fans of those four schools. They are pretty intense and really get after it which I like. Best of luck to UND. I thought it was egregious what the NCAA did to you all but they are overstepping their bounds in almost every area right now.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Western4Life » March 17th, 2013, 11:50 am

Yawn..

This conitunued Dakota talk has some in LeatherNeck Nation poised for an OVC jump once the MVC raids them for 1-2 teams. Dakotas better wise up and adjust their thinking. For being so wonderful academically (according to them) geography seems to have escaped them. They are a travel nightmare and don't offer enough encentives to make up for it. If Oakland, FW, and UIPUI go to the HL watch for Western to bid for the OVC. Dakotas screwing around may slide them into The BigSky. Don't worry NDSU football will win there and SDSU basketball will too just don't expect your budgets to ever be sound or logical.

Belmont hoops > SDSU
Murray St > NDSU
WIU > USD lol... Lil brother or not
Loyola, Valpo, ORU all > Dakotas

Dakotas are great competition and run stuff right but I've learned the the small town cute girl who doesn't realize in the big city she isn't very hot at all... I enjoy having them and want a solid SL but that's quickly vanishing. The one up mentality has ruined college sports. Numbers don't make sense, salaries are pyscho, and travel for STUDENTS is insane.

Keep in mind we love and watch hoops but what about travel for volleyball, softball, baseball etc. No shot for the Dakotas other than the self inflicted shots on the the SL which had been dramatically improving the last ten years.
Western4Life
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » March 17th, 2013, 11:55 am

Western4Life wrote:
Dakotas are great competition and run stuff right but I've learned the the small town cute girl who doesn't realize in the big city she isn't very hot at all...

This line made me chuckle...and also reminds me of a school in our league that is rumored to be leaving. Spot on.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bisonnation » March 17th, 2013, 12:13 pm

nokota wrote:I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and when I read Jacksfan29 post, I felt I had something to contribute to the conversation.

The 4 Dakota schools are completely different... well, mostly. All four schools came from the Division II North Central Conference (NCC). Since all four of the schools have arrived in Division I in the past 10 years, I am using some Division II info for reference.

I am graduate and fan of the University of North Dakota, which is known for it's hockey, http://www.theralph.com/. Grand Forks is 70 miles from the Canadian border and is filled with Canadians shopping on weekends and it is a hockey nuts community. North Dakota does have a rich history in basketball and is second only to SDSU in the number of conference titles won in the old NCC. SDSU had 20 and UND 18...
http://northcentral.prestosports.com/Record_Book/08_Updates/08_MBB.pdf.
UND also produced a guy names Phil Jackson back in the 60's. You may have heard of him.
UND has also been historically a pretty good football program, finish second in number of NCC titles behind NDSU, 26-24. I know no one has mentioned UND as a possible candidate, but I have included them for Dakota perspective.

North Dakota State has been a football school. They were very successful in the DIvision II and then ran into a drought in the 90's and 00's. When they reclassified to Division I (FCS), they started building that program back up and have won the FCS Championship the past two years. Their basketball history, isn't as rich. They were a middle of the conference performer for the most part in the Division II ranks and have had some success in Division I, mostly because of a player that has since graduated, Ben Woodside. He brought NDSU to the Dance once. Like UND, NDSU is remote. It is 75 miles south of Grand Forks, which still puts it closer to Winnipeg MB than to Minneapolis. NDSU keeps talking about the renovation of the BSA, their dump of a basketball facility. They still are short of the funds to begin construction and even then I think they polishing a turd. http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=69829

Like I mentioned above, SDSU won more NCC Men's BB titles than any other schools. Their football program, has always been middle of the conference. I just don't think football has been a priority in Brookings. It has been and continues to be a basketball school. They have been in the MidCon/Summit now for 5 years and between the men's and women's programs have won 7 of the 10 titles in those five years. Geography wise Brookings is 200 miles closer to the MVC footprint than NDSU. SDSU plays in Frost Arena. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frost_Arena. Frost isn't big, but it does have a nice basketball history and feel to it.

University of South Dakota is little further south than Brookings, putting it a little closer to the MVC foot print. USD is SDSU's little brother. They too are a basketball first school, but It is a smaller college and just doesn't seem to have the athletic history of big brother. They play currently play basketball in the DakotaDome, although there are plans for a new facility.

Conference perspective..

North Dakota was fortunate to get an invitation to join the Big Sky, as it is an outlier as far as conference mates. Unless North Dakota decides to go to FBS, I hope UND stays in the "mostly" football first Big Sky. I don't ever see basketball surpassing hockey

NDSU, like I said, football school. They seem to be content in the MVFC/Summit. If the Summit blows up, they need to look to the west, Big Sky. They will never fund BB over football.

SDSU.. of the four Dakota schools, they are the best candidate for the MVC. Even more so if they decided to dump their football program and put all of their money into basketball. They have a nice facility now and have basketball fans and history to boot.

USD, little brother. If the MVC is looking for two, little brother may fit the bill, as they love their basketball is South Dakota and they are building a new facility.

Your hatred towards NDSU makes your comments laughable. First off the new basketball arena will by far be the nicest facility of the 4 Dakota Schools. 40 million doesn't lie and were only a few million short. 2nd, out of the 4 Dakota schools, NDSU has the largest attendance since going D1. And up until last year, NDSU had a 10 game winning streak over SDSU.

Both NDSU and SDSU are by far the best choices. You have no idea how much money either school would put into basketball. I do know that a new arena will be able to raise a few million more by itself. That puts us on par with Indiana State. What we spend on other sports has no bearing on what we choose to spend on basketball. Besides football revenue from teammakers goes to all sports which gives us a steady flow of income. And hinting sdsu could drop their football program? They have a very good football team.

And if your going to reference D2, dont forget to include NDSUs 5 womens basketball D 2 National Championships. And dont convienienly forget the womens softball National Championship or the D1 sweet 16 appearance
bisonnation
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Western4Life » March 17th, 2013, 1:06 pm

D2 chatter is like pissing into the wind, just ends up a mess.

Seriously, I do like the Dakotas and have had nice exchanges on Bisonville and SDSU did a nice job with the SL tourney (wayyy more popular than anyone national wants to admit) but it really does come down to geography. If WIU invested into facilities they'd likely get a nod before the Dakotas based on geography. We already drop tons on travel that would go into recruiting budgets etc with a OVC/MVC type move (no shot with MVC, I'm realistic). That's not true of the Dakotas because they are outliers regardless.

I have very serious doubt the SL can make it. DU may really regret not investing in CC & diamond sports. Western internally has turned on the SL because it's do unstable (shocking due to all the stabilizing decision recently).

Can I get a gold star if this ends up right? ;)

MVC; -CU +Belmont, Murray St., Loyola or Chicago (This keeps Evansville)

HL; -Detroit (A10 addition) +Oakland, FW, UIPUI (travels easy and HL needs diamond sport numbers or no IN schools would be included) Wild Card YSU

OVC; -Belmont, Murray St. +WIU, Northern Alabama

SL; -everyone BigSky +NDSU, USD, SDSU WAC +Omaha

I can easily see this scenario and in most ways desire it.
Western4Life
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby jwa123 » March 17th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Don't the Dakota people have forums of their own they can chatter to each other on? Just askin'.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Fargobison » March 17th, 2013, 1:13 pm

jwa123 wrote:Don't the Dakota people have forums of their own they can chatter to each other on? Just askin'.

Some of these people aren't allowed to post on certain forums....
Fargobison
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby uniftw » March 17th, 2013, 1:21 pm

Oh dear god...mods please get this crap under control.

Once you get UND and NDSU fans arguing with each other on your forum you are screwed. I've watched threads that don't mention either school get turned into 14 page dick measuring contests between the two within a handful of posts - esepcially when you have lakes involved.

Not sure why a Western fan is posting here...Western in the MVC will happen when every current MVC teams moves out and is replaced with the summit teams.

USD isn't even worth talking about in any way shape and or form.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball