NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NDSU/SDSU to MVC asap.

Postby BCPanther » April 7th, 2017, 6:14 am

municup14 wrote:If these 2 join we will be at a odd number 11. So do we go after
3 schools or just 1.I would much rather go after 3.The Dakota
Trip would be easier for the existing schools.Go there and play
2 games in 3 or 4 days.

Travel partners? Cripes. Let's just go ahead and rename ourselves the Big No Desire to be Big Time League.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Lakesbison » April 7th, 2017, 6:24 am

what im hearing is NDSU only.

sdsu isnt big enough, no airport etc. und no way they just lost $13.3 million in athletics and usd is too small.

NDSU as UNI travel partner. fly chicago to fargo daily.
Lakesbison
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvfcfan » April 7th, 2017, 7:20 am

IMO you either add both the XDSU's or none of them. Why do you need travel partners particularly for basketball? You already travel to Fort Wayne and Indianapolis every year. I also don't see what's wrong with having an odd number of teams. The MWC has 11 teams and it works for them.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2017, 7:24 am

Lakesbison wrote:what im hearing is NDSU only.

sdsu isnt big enough, no airport etc. und no way they just lost $13.3 million in athletics and usd is too small.

What your "heaing" is the voices in your head, Sam

Brookings airport is the same size as Waterloo/Cedar Falls. They are closer to a major air field than UNI is (Sioux Falls and Cedar Rapids).

UND didn't lose 13.3 million in athletics

USD's enrollment isn't all that much smaller than NDSU's (about the same as NDSU's average basketball attendance (just over 3,000). USD's endowment is over 450m, compared to 130 for NDSU.

No one is flying commercial, so Fargo to Chicago doesn't s***.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvfcfan » April 7th, 2017, 7:48 am

If we add someone dumb like UMKC, UIC, or Omaha then as an Indiana State fan I hope we seriously consider going Ohio Valley. If we're going to be in a one bid league then we might as well be in a league that fits us better financially. All of our games would be reasonably close and our tournament would be in Evansville. The OVC also has football which is beneficial to us.

If the MVC invites the Dakota schools. then I'd like to see us stick around in the MVC. If not, we (INST) need to get to an all sports conference that sponsors football.
mvfcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Svoboda » April 7th, 2017, 8:23 am

uniftw wrote:

Brookings airport is the same size as Waterloo/Cedar Falls. They are closer to a major air field than UNI is (Sioux Falls and Cedar Rapids).

USD's enrollment isn't all that much smaller than NDSU's (about the same as NDSU's average basketball attendance (just over 3,000). USD's endowment is over 450m, compared to 130 for NDSU.

You guys are leveraged to the hilt. Maybe you should downgrade that leased BMW 3 series to a more cost effective Ford Fusion? I mean, you have state legislators asking for Iowa and Iowa State to pay for your athletics overspending. Someone is deeply out of touch.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /96717336/

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/news ... /30301673/

How is your baseball team looking this year?
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby uniftw » April 7th, 2017, 8:44 am

Svoboda wrote:
uniftw wrote:

You guys are leveraged to the hilt. Maybe you should downgrade that leased BMW 3 series to a more cost effective Ford Fusion? I mean, you have state legislators asking for Iowa and Iowa State to pay for your athletics overspending. Someone is deeply out of touch.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /96717336/

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/news ... /30301673/

How is your baseball team looking this year?

No one connected to UNI has ever requested that. That is some random schmuck that doesn't understand s*** trying to have good intentions but doing more harm than good. UNI's admin (president and AD) both spoke out against the fact it was even brought up.

There is a discussion to be had about how the BOR/Legislature treat UNI in relation to Iowa/Iowa State, but lets not make that into something it isn't.

Baseball? Good burn from 8 years ago. I remember my first beer. Neither Drake or Loyola sponsor baseball. Why doesn't anyone ever bring that up?

UNI sponsors more mens MVC sports than Missouri State and the same number as Evansville, and your beloved Indiana State. Loyola sponsors one more, which is mens soccer. Hows Indiana State's golf team doing? Deep burn.

Does a fan of a school that has, BY FAR, the lowest basketball budget in the conference really want to start talking funding s***? You're football coach would be the lowest paid basketball coach in our league. Think about that. You have, by far, the smallest athletic budget of the public schools - WSU 26M, ISUr 26M, MSU 25M, SIU 22M, UNI 21M.......ISUb 14m. Not only that f****** SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT OF YOUR ATHLETIC BUDGET IS SUBSIDIZED BY THE STATE AND/OR STUDENTS. You have, by far, the smallest budget, but get the highest percent of it from subsidies. You get nearly ELEVEN MILLION DOLLARS of your FOURTEEN MILLION in subsidies. UNI's budget is roughly 33% larger than Indiana States and gets nearly 2 million dollars less in subsidies. UNI, once WSU is gone, is THE LEAST SUBSIDIZED program in the conference.

Is that really the cross you want to try to die on?

That second article is a complete hit piece that comes out every few years and doesn't live in reality.

UNI generates more in private donations to the athletic department than Indiana State gets from non-subsidies for their athletic department, and it's growing every year.

Some errors/half truths in that article

The issue came to a head in 2012, when UNI cut nearly one-fifth of its academic programs and closed its laboratory school.
That sounds bad- but the reality is the programs that were closed were majors like French Teaching, German Teaching, and specialty areas within Geology. Less than 100 students were enrolled in all of those programs combined. The lab school that was closed? It needed tens of millions of dollars in upgrades. It made no sense to keep open.

UNI's enrollment drop that article talks about? Going back up. Record sized freshman classes. More diverse student population than every before. Record retention rates for freshman to sophomore years.

The entire premise of the article is this sentence
So why should UNI be allowed to use those public-dollar sources for athletics when UI and ISU have managed to wean themselves from it?

The article is a hit piece written by an Iowa City based writer. They can't understand why Iowa and Iowa State don't need state money. Nevermind that the Iowa was on state money until the Big Ten Network was started in 2007 and started paying schools 25 million dollars per year (It's now up to 45 million). Iowa State was on state money until 2012 when the B12 nearly imploded but Texas worked a deal that gave them a ton of power and in return the schools got 20m per year.

Yep, a B12 school was on state money as recently as during the second Obama administration.

Oh, UNI is also getting less state money now than they ever have before, yet our budget continues to grow. We continue to stay relatively low in subsidy compared to peer institutions, and we continue to have success in our programs across the athletic department.

UNI decides not to rape it's students to have athletics. Indiana State gets nearly 3 times as much from it's students as UNI does from the State of Iowa. If UNI took from students like Indiana State does UNI's budget would be the largest in the conference at nearly 28 million dollars

Clearly UNI has a massive issue.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Svoboda » April 7th, 2017, 8:58 am

uniftw wrote:No one connected to UNI has ever requested that. That is some random schmuck that doesn't understand s*** trying to have good intentions but doing more harm than good. UNI's admin (president and AD) both spoke out against the fact it was even brought up.

There is a discussion to be had about how the BOR/Legislature treat UNI in relation to Iowa/Iowa State, but lets not make that into something it isn't.

Baseball? Good burn from 8 years ago. I remember my first beer. Neither Drake or Loyola sponsor baseball. Why doesn't anyone ever bring that up?

UNI sponsors more mens MVC sports than Missouri State and the same number as Evansville, and your beloved Indiana State. Loyola sponsors one more, which is mens soccer. Hows Indiana State's golf team doing? Deep burn.

Does a fan of a school that has, BY FAR, the lowest basketball budget in the conference really want to start talking funding s***? You're football coach would be the lowest paid basketball coach in our league. Think about that. You have, by far, the smallest athletic budget of the public schools - WSU 26M, ISUr 26M, MSU 25M, SIU 22M, UNI 21M.......ISUb 14m. Not only that f****** SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT OF YOUR ATHLETIC BUDGET IS SUBSIDIZED BY THE STATE AND/OR STUDENTS. You have, by far, the smallest budget, but get the highest percent of it from subsidies. You get nearly ELEVEN MILLION DOLLARS of your FOURTEEN MILLION in subsidies. UNI's budget is roughly 33% larger than Indiana States and gets nearly 2 million dollars less in subsidies. UNI, once WSU is gone, is THE LEAST SUBSIDIZED program in the conference.

Is that really the cross you want to try to die on?
You're not going to get an argument out of me because I know our budget woes and have said multiple times I wish we'd leave the Valley or drop football. Instead, we keep dumping more cash into the program and expenses wise we're not in the upper half of the MVFC in football spending per the last round of OpEd data. Completely insane and unsustainable.

The baseball line wasn't meant to be a burn, it was to underscore the reality that all of the schools in the conference (even the privates per Benson's Bradley article from a couple months ago) are operating at large subsidies. Bottom line is damn near every program in this conference is running on economic fumes and many of you guys want to expand geography for a minute possibility of getting a second bid in the NCAA tournament.
Sycamore Pride - http://www.sycamorepride.com
MVC News & Social Media Aggregator - https://www.mvctalk.com
Svoboda
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby goramblers2011 » April 7th, 2017, 9:04 am

mvfcfan wrote:At the bare minimum the Valley needs to invite NDSU and SDSU. I'd much rather have those two teams in the conference than another "Loyola". NDSU and SDSU have also been in the MVFC nearly 10 years now. I think they've proven themselves to be loyal. If we can get NDSU and SDSU then we need to go after UND and USD as well, plus WIU. I feel like that makes both the football and all sports conference stronger.

Adding non-football schools does nothing for the conference. If UNI and ILST want to leave then be like Wichita and Creighton and pack up. We'll still have 12 teams and we'll still be a respectable league. I see no reason as to why the Dakota schools can't be competitive in the MVC. Like I said you can't do much worse than Loyola and all 5 MVFC teams that aren't in the MVC for all-sports are better than Loyola. Loyola is a joke. Add UMKC, UIC, and Neb Omaha to thae "joke" list. If we add any of those three teams over NDSU and SDSU the commissioner needs fired ASAP.

Must suck to have the suffered the most humiliating defeat in Arch Madness history to a "joke". :dance: :dance: :dance:

Also must suck to see your program finish four spots behind a "joke" (and get swept by said "joke"). :dance: :dance: :dance:

And I don't see you being any more competitive against the "joke" this upcoming season. :dance: :dance: :dance:

That being said, I'd be happy with NDSU addition. Belmont is still my top choice.
goramblers2011
All MVC
All MVC

Postby havoc » April 7th, 2017, 9:04 am

uniftw wrote: UNI, once WSU is gone, is THE LEAST SUBSIDIZED program in the conference.

*least subsided public program in the conference
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball