Official 2013-14 MVCfans.com Prediction - 8th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 8th place during the 2013-14 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 13th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Bradley
8%
Evansville
9%
Illinois State
43%
Indiana State
1%
Loyola
30%
Missouri State
5%
Northern Iowa
3%
Wichita State
1%

Total votes : 77

Re: Official 2013-14 MVCfans.com Prediction - 8th Place

Postby Red » September 10th, 2013, 9:58 am

You can go ahead and pick us here. I have no trouble with setting the bar low and I expect we will finish better.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BTbird » September 10th, 2013, 12:02 pm

I didn't vote for ISU but I understand why people would. There is a lot of question marks with this team with the high turnover. I do think we have brought in some talent and bringing in some Juco guys will give us some experience even though it wasn't D1. Honestly, there has been very little information given since they have arrived on campus so not sure how to agree or disagree with 8th.
BTbird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bleach » September 10th, 2013, 3:16 pm

I don't see Evansville here but can see why some would think that. I believe it's very close between Aces and Ramblers. For 7th that is.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby GoRamblers » September 10th, 2013, 3:23 pm

bleach wrote:I don't see Evansville here but can see why some would think that. I believe it's very close between Aces and Ramblers. For 7th that is.

That would be my guess as well. I'm inclined to say that the Ramblers avoid Thursday night.
GoRamblers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby agrinut » September 10th, 2013, 3:24 pm

GoRamblers wrote:
bleach wrote:I don't see Evansville here but can see why some would think that. I believe it's very close between Aces and Ramblers. For 7th that is.

That would be my guess as well. I'm inclined to say that the Ramblers avoid Thursday night.

Why are you inclined to say that other than you are a fan? The ramblers could t compete in the horizon why will they compete in the valley.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » September 10th, 2013, 5:48 pm

agrinut wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:

Why are you inclined to say that other than you are a fan? The ramblers could t compete in the horizon why will they compete in the valley.

I'm certainly not an expert on the Loyola's program. But my understanding is that they were VERY young last year just as our Bears were. And that just like us several of their young players are pretty talented. If that's the case you expect a significant improvement the next year just as we do for our Bears.

IMHO they avoid the play in game.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GoRamblers » September 10th, 2013, 6:11 pm

agrinut wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:

Several things. Until recently (we're talking the past 3 years), the school decided to ignore the basketball program. In spite of that, we came within a few seconds of making the tournament in 2002. Because of that event, the Horizon league changed its format to the absolute ridiculous thing you see today. After all, they had to protect Butler.

The past 3 years have been tough, but that's to be expected when a new coach comes in. He did burn some bridges that first year (hence our 7-23 record). We played with 5 scholarship players. With some good recruiting and coaching, there was a big turnaround last year (15-16 record). That was done with the 6th youngest roster in the NCAA (and a bunch of injuries to big players like Averkamp). We lost 7 games by a combined 12 points. Young teams lose those games. With experience, you put those games away.

Basically, the program is looking up because of a renewed dedication to it. That's why I'm optimistic.

Oh, and when it comes to Loyola basketball, we have always played to our opponents. In those years when Butler was going to the Championship games, we pushed them to the very brink. In the years before when they were in the Sweet 16, we beat them a few times. We pushed an NCAA team in KSU to the very last shot. Our problem has always been Youngstown St...Cleveland St...Wright St. How do you get excited for those teams?
GoRamblers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby uniftw » September 10th, 2013, 8:47 pm

glm38 wrote:
I'm certainly not an expert on the Loyola's program. But my understanding is that they were VERY young last year just as our Bears were. And that just like us several of their young players are pretty talented. If that's the case you expect a significant improvement the next year just as we do for our Bears.

Honestly, my thought as well.

They were very young last year.

I'd pick them 6th for the experience coming back.

HAVING SAID THAT

There is something to be said about the grind of the Valley vs the Horizon and it being all new to Loyola. The grind of hitting WSU, UNI, ISUb 6 times this year is going to be a shock to their system...
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » September 11th, 2013, 1:39 am

Red wrote:You can go ahead and pick us here. I have no trouble with setting the bar low and I expect we will finish better.

Setting the bar high sure didn't work last year, so maybe low is the way to go >=)

I've got IlSU here. Muller hasn't shown a thing yet as a HC, and no player on that roster has shown anything. I just can't see Muller being a good enough coach to pull off a complete roster overhaul in one year. I don't think Marshall is a good enough coach to pull that off.

Loyola isn't a great team, and IlSU will probably have the more talented players, but they've got far less questions.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AngryShock » September 11th, 2013, 9:14 am

uniftw wrote:
glm38 wrote:

Honestly, my thought as well.

They were very young last year.

I'd pick them 6th for the experience coming back.

HAVING SAID THAT

There is something to be said about the grind of the Valley vs the Horizon and it being all new to Loyola. The grind of hitting WSU, UNI, ISUb 6 times this year is going to be a shock to their system...

I agree with this. Youth has trouble closing out close games. Injuries really hurt them. Their talent level doesn't appear to be that bad at all. Loyola may surprise a few people and I think they could end up being a pretty good addition as they build and invest.
WheatShockers.com
AngryShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball