UE- Ryan Sawvell

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

UE- Ryan Sawvell

Postby jackwagon » December 1st, 2013, 5:21 pm

Apparently he has left the team. He was an all valley FR player who has been put on the bench the last two seasons. Im guessing the final straw is that daddy's boy has been starting over him this early in his FR season.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

UE- Ryan Sawvell

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: UE- Ryan Sawvell

Postby pafan » December 1st, 2013, 5:51 pm

This is a rumor at this point, with citation to member Big Ace at PurpleAcesFans.com.
http://purpleacesfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72

If you click through you'll find that UE fans are pretty pi$$ed off about this.

Another note: Sawvell mostly sat on the bench last year, playing behind 6'4" "forward" Lewis Jones at the start of the season and behind then-freshman Adam Wing afterwards.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby PantherSigEp » December 1st, 2013, 6:04 pm

I guessed this would be the topic of this thread as soon as I saw the title. Having followed some of the recent UE box scores I was surprised to see him getting so little minutes. I thought he was a quality player with good talent, so it's easy to understand the frustration he must be feeling and the decision he is making.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby sixth ace » December 1st, 2013, 6:44 pm

Right now it is a rumor. Looking for verification but haven't received any yet.

It would burn a full year of eligibility and he'd have to sit a year to play his final year unless he goes DII
He did go to Europe over the summer and play perhaps he has ambition to skip finishing school and go overseas.

Hope not, hope he plays on Wednesday at MSU
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » December 1st, 2013, 6:56 pm

Sawvell would be able to transfer to another D1 school and play for 3 semesters -- starting (presumably) Dec 1. 2014. Exact date depending on when UE processes his release.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby FanOfBB » December 1st, 2013, 7:00 pm

I figured this would happen with someone. This guy basically has been benched in favor of junior.
Things like this are tolerated when the core of your fan base and contributors look at Marty as the chosen one.
It doesn't matter what he does or the record, UE will never fire him.
He gets to use the injury and "young" team excuse more than anyone in the country.
FanOfBB
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BradleyBrave » December 1st, 2013, 9:28 pm

FanOfBB wrote:I figured this would happen with someone. This guy basically has been benched in favor of junior.
Things like this are tolerated when the core of your fan base and contributors look at Marty as the chosen one.
It doesn't matter what he does or the record, UE will never fire him.
He gets to use the injury and "young" team excuse more than anyone in the country.

Jim Les got it for 7 of 9 seasons, so I feel your pain.

I had heard Marty's kid was good. I watched the Indiana game (probably not the best game to judge) and I thought he looked like he didn't belong in a Division I game. I'm guessing the Aces aren't as bad as the last 2 shellackings though.
"At some point in the near future, we're going to have a team out there competing for championships" - Geno Ford, November 9, 2011.
BradleyBrave
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » December 1st, 2013, 9:40 pm

I have a bit of a suspicion about what might be going on. I thought Sawvell, as a Fr, was a future star - possible All-Valley type.

The "Colt Ryan offense" was basically running screens forever until Ryan got an open look. The role of the front court guys was to set screen after screen after screen until Ryan got a shot. The same thing seems to be happening this year with Balentine.

I noticed in the thread on the UE board, that a lot of front court players have been leaving the program. Maybe the front court guys aren't happy with being role players who do nothing but sacrifice themselves to give another player awesome stats?

When the entire offense seems to be geared so that the big guys don't get touches, other than as an outlet to pass to a shooter, sometimes they are not happy.

Creighton could get away with building their game plan around a single player. They were winning a lot.

When a team is not winning a lot and a player's role is to set a screen, move, set a screen, and then repeat forever, that player may not be happy in that system.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » December 1st, 2013, 11:27 pm

Aargh wrote:I have a bit of a suspicion about what might be going on. I thought Sawvell, as a Fr, was a future star - possible All-Valley type.

The "Colt Ryan offense" was basically running screens forever until Ryan got an open look. The role of the front court guys was to set screen after screen after screen until Ryan got a shot. The same thing seems to be happening this year with Balentine.

I noticed in the thread on the UE board, that a lot of front court players have been leaving the program. Maybe the front court guys aren't happy with being role players who do nothing but sacrifice themselves to give another player awesome stats?

When the entire offense seems to be geared so that the big guys don't get touches, other than as an outlet to pass to a shooter, sometimes they are not happy.

Creighton could get away with building their game plan around a single player. They were winning a lot.

When a team is not winning a lot and a player's role is to set a screen, move, set a screen, and then repeat forever, that player may not be happy in that system.

Excellent analysis.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby COUTEAU » December 2nd, 2013, 1:32 am

This may be nothing more than a rumor.
The University or any local media outlet, has yet to release any kind of announcement.
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball