Tennessee vs. WSU at Intrust Bank Arena 1pm 12/14 ESPN2

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Tennessee vs. WSU at Intrust Bank Arena 1pm 12/14 ESPN2

Postby Snaggletooth » December 14th, 2013, 6:14 pm

bleach wrote:I guess we saw different games. My 16 yr old son and I both thought the Shox looked very beatable.

Are you related to Captain Obvious? Even as a final 4 team last year WSU was very beatable. So I'm not really sure what your point is except trolling.

Tenn isn't very good (not poor by any means) and played the Shox equal.

Tenn. played WSU even in the first half, WSU beat them in the 2nd half by 10 points. That is not playing the "shox equal". It was a 9 point win over an SEC team.

Not saying they won't win the league but expected a little more depth to be there.

Only 4 players impressed you? I assume Coleby was the one starter that didn't? What about Carter who came off the bench for 14 RB's and scored 11?

It does seem that between Coleby/Lufile/Carter - it not that consistent of who is going to emerge from game to game. I suppose Coleby is starting because he's doing the best in practice, but Lufile has been more consistent in the games and this was probably Carter best game.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 2livewu » December 14th, 2013, 6:28 pm

bleach wrote:I guess we saw different games. My 16 yr old son and I both thought the Shox looked very beatable. We both rode the Shox final 4 ride last year but thought they looked REAL good 4 players deep and there wasn't much else this year. Tenn isn't very good (not poor by any means) and played the Shox equal.

Not saying they won't win the league but expected a little more depth to be there.

Well since no team is going to go undefeated, then I guess all 351 are "beatable".

But that's not exactly what you meant, so let's clarify a couple of things.

You and your 16 year old son don't know squat about basketball.

Can Duke beat WSU, Kentucky, Kansas? Of course. Can WSU beat them? You bet. It's going to be about coaching and who plays well that day.

But make no mistake. This WSU team is on a different level than the rest of the Valley. Somebody will catch them on an off day, or when their team is hot, and hats off to them when it happens. But don't act like WSU is vulnerable to anyone in the Valley. Maybe if 3 starters miss the conference again, maybe.

By the way, when Baker is healthy, WSU is 25-3 in his career. You could almost say 25-2 because he was hurt going into the UT game last season, but then you'd have to not count today's game.

They are beatable, but only if they beat themselves in this league.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wushockduke » December 14th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Cotton is a stud.

Glad the Shocks won, but that dunk from Tennessee, I think it was McRae?, that should have been worth 4 points! Wow!
Wushockduke
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby agrinut » December 14th, 2013, 7:07 pm

2livewu wrote:
bleach wrote:I guess we saw different games. My 16 yr old son and I both thought the Shox looked very beatable. We both rode the Shox final 4 ride last year but thought they looked REAL good 4 players deep and there wasn't much else this year. Tenn isn't very good (not poor by any means) and played the Shox equal.

Well since no team is going to go undefeated, then I guess all 351 are "beatable".

But that's not exactly what you meant, so let's clarify a couple of things.

You and your 16 year old son don't know squat about basketball.

Can Duke beat WSU, Kentucky, Kansas? Of course. Can WSU beat them? You bet. It's going to be about coaching and who plays well that day.

But make no mistake. This WSU team is on a different level than the rest of the Valley. Somebody will catch them on an off day, or when their team is hot, and hats off to them when it happens. But don't act like WSU is vulnerable to anyone in the Valley. Maybe if 3 starters miss the conference again, maybe.

By the way, when Baker is healthy, WSU is 25-3 in his career. You could almost say 25-2 because he was hurt going into the UT game last season, but then you'd have to not count today's game.

They are beatable, but only if they beat themselves in this league.

That is a ridiculous statistic! Only loses are too Ranked Creighton in the Stl and the national champs.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 14th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Wushockduke wrote:Cotton is a stud.

Glad the Shocks won, but that dunk from Tennessee, I think it was McRae?, that should have been worth 4 points! Wow!

Hats off to him for that dunk! Hats off to the crowd for taunting him to the point that he screamed a profanity afterward and got T'd up.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » December 14th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Wushockduke wrote:but that dunk from Tennessee, I think it was McRae?, that should have been worth 4 points! Wow!

Marshall was not happy that the big men just spectated on that play. Because it should never have happen. I saw him ask if all they were going to do was just watched - pretty much after that point they challenged everything at the rim.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 14th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
Red wrote:2000 tickets remaining. With the home schedules that WSU fans got this year you'd think they'd be knocking down the doors trying to see an actual decent OOC opponent.

The amount of tickets sold for this game is the equivalent to:

EU - 3.7 Home games
ISUR - 3.3 Home games
LUC - 7.8 Home games
BU - 2.4 Home games
ISUB - 2.4 home games
UNI - 4.1 home games

Snag, I love your post.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 14th, 2013, 7:19 pm

agrinut wrote:
rlh04d wrote:Shocker fans really need to cool down the arrogance.

Anywho, incredible game. Cotton single handedly took that game over and won it at the end. His block on an easy layup with the and-one on the other side completely changed the momentum.

First 10-0 start in WSU history. Amazing.

Cotton was incredible, if he can continue to be a threat offensively Wichita will be extremely tough to guard. Just a question, does Early need to be sit down so he can reevaluate where he is on the team. He seems selfish the times I've watched him this year, low BBIQ.

The last shot that Early took was straight out of the dumb department. What in the hell was he thinking, besides point padding.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 14th, 2013, 7:24 pm

In the Tenn game, I can see where the team looked 4 deep to you. Baker's injury was partly the cause.

I thought the team went 4.5 deep today. Three starters, one bench and I give Baker a 0.5.

If Wiggins does not get untracked offensively, a lack of effective bench players will bite sooner or later.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Black » December 14th, 2013, 9:59 pm

Name me any team in the country and I'll point out some weaknesses for you. If you're expecting to see the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers, you're expectations are a bit too high.

It's kinda hard starting out 10-0, especially against some decent competition with everybody gunning after you. Considering that early looked lost for a large part of the game, and Baker was playing with half a good ankle, I'll take a 9 point win over a high to mid sec team. Still covered the spread.
Black
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball