Previewing next years MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Previewing next years MVC

Postby aceslifer » April 4th, 2014, 5:32 pm

try this for a "walk-on" story. Several years ago Rick Pitino gave Kyle Kurik a "preferred walk on status" his frosh year. He earned a scholarship his soph year, but was told by Pitino, that pitino could revoke it any time and put him back on "walk on". He continued on scholarship his jr year, but before his senior year, Pitino approached Kurik and took away the scholarship, so that he could recruit another player. Pitino was quoted as saying that Kurik"s parents could afford the tuition(Mr. Kurik was a surgeon Doctor). Kyle started and played his Sr year as a walk-on. The next year, Pitino wins a national championship!!!!!
aceslifer
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PantherSigEp » April 20th, 2014, 10:47 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2031401-college-basketball-teams-that-will-be-loaded-with-experience-in-2014-15/page/6

He's right that we'll be "loaded" with experience, but it's written as though Scott Henry hasn't seen a Panther game since 2010 (not that he's missed much) and he simply went through some stats on ESPN.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxNAwe » April 27th, 2014, 9:06 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... uri-valley

Even without Early and fellow seniors Nick Wiggins and Chadrack Lufile, Wichita State will have Ron Baker and VanVleet, the reigning MVC player of the year, back next year. Another crop of juco big men join them, as do starters Darius Carter and Tekele Cotton. There is no reason to expect anything but another dominant Shockers campaign -- especially relative to competition.

How good will that competition be? Northern Iowa will have just about everyone back, most notably junior forward Seth Tuttle -- the only non-Shocker to crack the stats-based Pomeroy all-conference list. Indiana State will likely take a step back, but the Panthers should take a major step forward. A 16-15 finish is not the goal. A tournament bid is not outside the norm.

Other than that, it's hard to find other MVC contenders in the mix. The good news for Wichita State? Even if the Shockers spend another three months beating an overwhelmed conference to a pulp, no one will need convincing come March.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby achrist70 » April 28th, 2014, 10:40 am

1. Wichita
2. UNI
3. Missouri State
4. Southern Illinois
5. Indiana State
6. Loyola
7. Evansville
8. Drake
9. Illinois State
10. Bradley

Wichita has to be the favorite too much returning off a team that was unbelievable, UNI could/should challenge them but it will come down to mental toughness in the back court. Missouri State solidly in at 3rd not quite there yet but close. SIU is another team a year away. Indiana State is taking it's step back, and Loyola showed signs last year and I think that they going to avoid Thursday. Evansville will rely too much on one player, Drake takes a step back this year but I think they are going to build something good in time, Illinois State and Bradley are just train wrecks at this time.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » April 28th, 2014, 11:28 am

How did you come to the conclusion that Loyola is showing promise but Illinois State is a trainwreck?

If you have any info to support your claims, I would very much like to see it, as it would probably greatly change my view of next year's league race.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » April 28th, 2014, 11:54 am

Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with ISUr being a bit of a wreck at the moment but I would have to say the potential to " achieve" next year is much greater in Normal than in Chicago at the moment. I'd put the Birds up in the 3-5 spot based on the current roster.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird23 » April 28th, 2014, 2:20 pm

I think its
1. Shox
2. Birds
3. Panthers

And the rest is a toss up I like Loyola being the dark horse and Bradley will be last easily
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mathewson10 » April 28th, 2014, 2:30 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with ISUr being a bit of a wreck at the moment but I would have to say the potential to " achieve" next year is much greater in Normal than in Chicago at the moment. I'd put the Birds up in the 3-5 spot based on the current roster.

:+1:
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 28th, 2014, 2:40 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:Yeah, I don't necessarily disagree with ISUr being a bit of a wreck at the moment but I would have to say the potential to " achieve" next year is much greater in Normal than in Chicago at the moment. I'd put the Birds up in the 3-5 spot based on the current roster.

Yep. I think ISUr could contend, or could finish 7th, probably the greatest foreseeable variance of any team next year. When I look at their roster, I see lots of inexperience, and some really good potential, mostly founded on guys that haven't played a minute of D1 ball. When I look at the Loyola roster I see Milton Doyle and a bunch of open roster spots. Don't get me wrong, Milton Doyle is a heck of a player, but he ain't THAT good.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » April 28th, 2014, 5:05 pm

achrist70 wrote:1. Wichita
2. UNI
3. Missouri State
4. Southern Illinois
5. Indiana State
6. Loyola
7. Evansville
8. Drake
9. Illinois State
10. Bradley

Illinois State and Bradley have the potential (again) to compete with MSU for third. SIU is another team that could be strong, but may not be. I don't see Drake or Loyola being competitive at this time. Evansville WILL be better (not sure how much). Indiana State WILL be worse. Not sure how much.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball