2014-15 Schedules?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2014-15 Schedules?

Postby Cdizzle » August 21st, 2014, 10:48 am

PantherSigEp wrote:
Play Angry wrote:6 or 7 MVC teams are going to have a pretty brutal OOC SOS this year.

I take it the talk of the scheduling mandate returning was nothing but BS? It was supposed to be reinstated for this season, but obviously that's not the case.

Well that talk came up in February and March, correct? Some teams had several return games and other matchups already set by that point in time. I say at that point you have to look at the year beyond to see if it's being implemented.

I thought they had brought it up like 2 years ago with the intent of giving teams a couple of years to get things together.

I don't think the teams are ever going to agree to it, and I don't think Elgin has the balls or clout to implement it any more. Not sure they could tie enough to it to make it enforceable anyway. It would be nice to see teams just care on their own. I fully understand the scheduling difficulties, but some of these schedules are from the "not even trying" camp or the "trying to somehow win 18-20 games to keep my job" camp.

Oh well. I think UNI and WSU are the teams with high at-large chances, and they have non-conference schedules that provide them opportunities to build a resume. Hopefully everyone else can rack up a ton of non-con wins.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby saluki762 » August 21st, 2014, 12:33 pm

The only group of fans that has a right to bitch about other teams scheduling is UNI.

In the last 10 years, they have been out of the top 150 in non-con SOS exactly 2 times.

Everybody else's total number of top 150 schedules (according to Kenpom).

WSU = 3
SIU = 5 (although not in 5 years)
ISU(Red) = 1
ISU(Blue) = 5
Evansville =1
Bradley = 2
Drake = 2
MSU = 5
Loyola = 3

As a whole the entire league schedules terrible.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » August 21st, 2014, 12:58 pm

saluki762 wrote:The only group of fans that has a right to bitch about other teams scheduling is UNI.

In the last 10 years, they have been out of the top 150 in non-con SOS exactly 2 times.

WSU = 3
ISU(Red) = 1
ISU(Blue) = 5
Evansville =1
Bradley = 2
Drake = 2
MSU = 5
Loyola = 3

Nice data. I'm not sure if this is the best way to look at this though. For instance, take a look at the Top 50 of the non-con schedules. It's almost exclusively bottom-feeders who took checks from Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Florida all in the same year. That isn't what's needed, or even what's good for Valley teams.

I'm not sure what the right range to look out is, and certainly this data point it nice to see. And certainly kudos to UNI, as we all know they've done a solid job of scheduling the past decade.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby saluki762 » August 21st, 2014, 1:03 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
saluki762 wrote:The only group of fans that has a right to bitch about other teams scheduling is UNI.

WSU = 3
ISU(Red) = 1
ISU(Blue) = 5
Evansville =1
Bradley = 2
Drake = 2
MSU = 5
Loyola = 3

Nice data. I'm not sure if this is the best way to look at this though. For instance, take a look at the Top 50 of the non-con schedules. It's almost exclusively bottom-feeders who took checks from Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Florida all in the same year. That isn't what's needed, or even what's good for Valley teams.

I'm not sure what the right range to look out is, and certainly this data point it nice to see. And certainly kudos to UNI, as we all know they've done a solid job of scheduling the past decade.

For most teams it is cyclical. WSU's best schedule was for their best teams. Same for SIU, MSU and Indiana State. Everyone else doesn't seem to matter.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Born2Shock » August 21st, 2014, 2:38 pm

If you arent in an obvious rebuilding year, the goal should be to construct an at-large quality schedule. Sometimes that doesnt pan out (teams you thought would be good stink, etc), but that should be the goal. The scheduling difficulties have been well documented, but if that isnt your starting intent, dont be puzzled why your schedule gets blasted.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby saluki762 » August 21st, 2014, 2:48 pm

Born2Shock wrote:If you arent in an obvious rebuilding year, the goal should be to construct an at-large quality schedule. Sometimes that doesnt pan out (teams you thought would be good stink, etc), but that should be the goal. The scheduling difficulties have been well documented, but if that isnt your starting intent, dont be puzzled why your schedule gets blasted.

Other than WSU, UNI and ISU (blue), who isn't in rebuild mode? I guess Evansville isn't but they are Evansville.

If SIU has a terrible schedule next year, criticism is warranted.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Born2Shock » August 21st, 2014, 2:55 pm

This is just D+ quality work here:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bvlh6fwIYAIYPT0.jpg

And a strange definition of "best".
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » August 21st, 2014, 2:58 pm

MSU, ISUr, and UE are teams that should be entering an up cycle with intent of reaching the tournament. SIU is probably a year away. Maybe not just this year, but their windows are opening. They aren't all going to make it, but none will make it if effort isn't made. Starting that decent quality H/H on the road the year before you think you'll be really good sounds like a good plan.

And if we're just going to throw our hands up because "Evansville is Evansville" then I think it's fair to expect some frustration with the current make-up and direction of the league.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby saluki762 » August 21st, 2014, 3:23 pm

Cdizzle wrote:MSU, ISUr, and UE are teams that should be entering an up cycle with intent of reaching the tournament. SIU is probably a year away. Maybe not just this year, but their windows are opening. They aren't all going to make it, but none will make it if effort isn't made. Starting that decent quality H/H on the road the year before you think you'll be really good sounds like a good plan.

And if we're just going to throw our hands up because "Evansville is Evansville" then I think it's fair to expect some frustration with the current make-up and direction of the league.

I don't think it is out of line to question the make-up of the league. The bad spot teams are in is that there are really no viable options to get much better by leaving the league or by bring in new members. The only real chance MVC teams have for a better league is for the current MVC teams to step up their game.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » August 21st, 2014, 4:10 pm

Born2Shock wrote:This is just D+ quality work here:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bvlh6fwIYAIYPT0.jpg

And a strange definition of "best".

ahahahahahaha

Holy crap

good job good effort Evansville

To be fair, the schedule isn't a complete disaster; there's a good pocket collection of opponents who are decent to good - it's just that there's a couple harmful cupcakes with zero higher-end quality opponents to balance it, so they're looking at a 250 SoS.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball