2014-15 Schedules?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

2014-15 Schedules?

Postby rlh04d » March 19th, 2014, 1:57 am

Too early? :D

Just announced that Wichita State will play against Memphis next season. Neutral site game in South Dakota.

The location is ... interesting?

http://memphis.247sports.com/Article/Me ... 014-183423

WSU already plays Tulsa, Saint Louis, and Alabama in Wichita next season. The Diamond Head Classic tournament isn't stacked, but the field includes Nebraska, Colorado, George Washington, Ohio, Loyola-Marymount, and Depaul. Depaul is basically WSU's little brother at this point. Three other tourney teams this year, plus: no SOS-killers (I'm looking at you, #300 RPI Tenn State). I'm guessing that leaves us with six games to schedule -- not sure if Detroit will be getting their return Bracket Busters game this season.

Recent Wichita Eagle article with the associate AD mentioned talks were ongoing with Oklahoma, New Mexico, Utah, Purdue, Connecticut. Memphis was mentioned for the first time in that same article and got locked up pretty quickly. Also mentioned the Tennessee series might continue in the future.

How are the non-conference schedules for the other Valley teams shaping up? I'm really hoping to see a major change in Missouri State's strength of schedule, in order to possibly get an at-large bid, and Bradley/Loyola/SIU in general -- their schedules were pathetic this year, and all three should be better teams overall.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

2014-15 Schedules?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 2014-15 Schedules?

Postby BCPanther » March 19th, 2014, 6:17 am

UNI has---

@ Denver
Iowa in Des Moines
@ VCU

vs. George Mason
vs. South Dakota State

Cancun Challenge (2 @ home, 2 in Cancun)
One host TBD, others are Virginia Tech and Northwestern (Yuck!)
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSpringsBird » March 19th, 2014, 10:20 am

Off the top of my head ISURed has VCU and Northwestern at home, and DePaul on the road. We are also playing in the Paradise Jam (teams copied in below).

Clemson Tigers (ACC)
Gardner-Webb Bulldogs (Big South)
Illinois State Redbirds (MVC)
LSU Tigers (SEC)
Nevada Wolf Pack (MW)
Old Dominion Monarchs (C-USA)
Seton Hall Pirates (Big East)
Weber State Wildcats (Big Sky)

I do not recall whether we play Dayton again next year. Perhaps someone else can recall.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby isumvc1 » March 19th, 2014, 10:27 am

here is Indiana State's 2014-2015 non conference schedule, pretty much complete already. A step up for sure for the Sycamores.

Home
Butler
St. Louis
Brown (part of Las Vegas Tourney)
Eastern Washington (part of Las Vegas Tourney)
UMKC
Eastern Illinois

Road
Ball State
Purdue (start of a 2 for 1 series)
Iona
IUPUI (assuming we keep the series going)

Neutral
Illinois (in Las Vegas)
either Memphis or Baylor (in Las Vegas)
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » March 19th, 2014, 10:30 am

we had briefly discussed next year's scheduling a while back, here is a link to the schedules others had posted

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3458
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 19th, 2014, 10:30 am

isumvc1 wrote:here is Indiana State's 2014-2015 non conference schedule, pretty much complete already. A step up for sure for the Sycamores.

Home
Butler
St. Louis
UMKC
Eastern Illinois

Road
Ball State
Iona

Neutral
Illinois (in Las Vegas)

Please don't keep the series with IUPUI going.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » March 19th, 2014, 10:33 am

rlh04d wrote:Too early? :D

Just announced that Wichita State will play against Memphis next season. Neutral site game in South Dakota.

The location is ... interesting?

http://memphis.247sports.com/Article/Me ... 014-183423

WSU already plays Tulsa, Saint Louis, and Alabama in Wichita next season. The Diamond Head Classic tournament isn't stacked, but the field includes Nebraska, Colorado, George Washington, Ohio, Loyola-Marymount, and Depaul. Depaul is basically WSU's little brother at this point. Three other tourney teams this year, plus: no SOS-killers (I'm looking at you, #300 RPI Tenn State). I'm guessing that leaves us with six games to schedule -- not sure if Detroit will be getting their return Bracket Busters game this season.

Recent Wichita Eagle article with the associate AD mentioned talks were ongoing with Oklahoma, New Mexico, Utah, Purdue, Connecticut. Memphis was mentioned for the first time in that same article and got locked up pretty quickly. Also mentioned the Tennessee series might continue in the future.

How are the non-conference schedules for the other Valley teams shaping up? I'm really hoping to see a major change in Missouri State's strength of schedule, in order to possibly get an at-large bid, and Bradley/Loyola/SIU in general -- their schedules were pathetic this year, and all three should be better teams overall.

The Pentagon is trying to get one good game with non-local teams during the non conference season. This past season Wisconsin played St. Johns in the Pentagon, next year it's Memphis vs. WSU. I'll be at this game since I can just walk over.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » March 19th, 2014, 10:35 am

rlh04d wrote:
isumvc1 wrote:here is Indiana State's 2014-2015 non conference schedule, pretty much complete already. A step up for sure for the Sycamores.

Home
Butler
St. Louis
UMKC
Eastern Illinois

Road
Ball State
Iona

Neutral
Illinois (in Las Vegas)

Please don't keep the series with IUPUI going.

I agree, they're awful, but it's a local game and if we do it will be in Indy and will draw a lot of ISU fans to the game. Last time we played at IUPUI, ISU had more fans at the game than IUPUI had.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » March 19th, 2014, 11:43 am

isumvc1 wrote:I agree, they're awful, but it's a local game and if we do it will be in Indy and will draw a lot of ISU fans to the game. Last time we played at IUPUI, ISU had more fans at the game than IUPUI had.

You could schedule a high school and have the same benefit.

IUPUI's RPI over the last five years: #323, #326, #210, #115, #83.

That's the exact opposite trend of a team you want to see on your noncon schedule. On top of that, four of their top six scorers are seniors, and the other two are juniors. They're going to be turning over pretty much their entire starting lineup coming off a terrible RPI already.

Common sense in scheduling. Don't schedule a bad team that's getting worse. It's going to hurt you and the conference overall.

Stop scheduling top 300 teams. Get rid of the series with Ball State, too, unless it has some kind of football benefit.

Hell, look at that schedule with this year's RPIs:

Brown #229
E. Washington #228
UMKC #248
E. Illinois #291
Ball State #309
IUPUI #322

Probably makes some sense with Indiana State replacing so many starters, but that's a bad schedule. Basically half of your noncon schedule would be considered bad losses.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » March 19th, 2014, 12:51 pm

rlh04d wrote:Brown #229
E. Washington #228
UMKC #248
E. Illinois #291
Ball State #309
IUPUI #322

Woof.