2014-15 Schedules?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2014-15 Schedules?

Postby Aargh » August 23rd, 2014, 7:43 pm

Loyola's average opponent RPI is appreciably better than last year's mainly by adding a buy game at Michigan State. Other than that game, the schedule is pretty similar to last year's. (No specific teams, just a statement). There's not much difference between playing an RPI 270 team or an RPI 320 team. The 270 team will be a little better for your RPI and bump your SoS a bit, but it just isn't going to matter.

As to who would we rather add than Loyola? How about NOBODY! Why the big rush to add another team? My thought was that if Loyola was the best there was at that time, maybe wait until a better time to add a team. Valley teams are struggling to get at-large bids and can probably schedule 2 OOC games that will be better on their at-large resume than playing Loyola twice. WSU has hit a point where they're playing for seeding, and the same thing applies. Playing Loyola twice instead of 2 OOC games could make a difference in seeding.

I appreciate Loyola's commitment to athletics and basketball in particular. I think there's light at the end of the tunnel, but it's looking like a very long tunnel.

P.S. 20 years ago, there really wasn't anything more than maybe the flicker of a candle down WSU's tunnel.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Rambler63 » August 24th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Loyola's schedule will be much better than last year, and not just because of the Michigan State game. Tulane will be in the AAC this year instead of CUSA, which should help. The Vegas tournament will definitely be much better than the truly awful Portland State tournament last year. UIC can't possibly be worse than last year, when they went 4-25 against D-1 opponents after coming off a respectable 177 RPI the year before.

On the women's side, scheduling has already taken a dramatic step up: Georgia Tech (RPI 41 last year), at Marquette (81), at Northern Kentucky (152), UAB (145), Eastern Illinois (298), at Missouri (107), at Northwestern (103), Michigan State (31), DePaul (22), at Dartmouth (309), at UIC (106).

Loyola is working on it. Fans take it very seriously and are keeping pressure on.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby rlh04d » August 24th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Rambler63 wrote:Loyola is working on it. Fans take it very seriously and are keeping pressure on.

That's what I want to hear.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby lusuperfan » August 24th, 2014, 7:58 pm

rlh04d wrote:
Rambler63 wrote:Loyola is working on it. Fans take it very seriously and are keeping pressure on.

Cause, you know, taking a popular consensus of disgruntled fans on a message board is almost always how head coaches of D1 basketball programs make major decisions.
lusuperfan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Rambler63 » August 24th, 2014, 9:19 pm

lusuperfan wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

Cause, you know, taking a popular consensus of disgruntled fans on a message board is almost always how head coaches of D1 basketball programs make major decisions.

I was referring to a lot of behind the scenes activity, which includes face to face meetings with with the President of the University. The MVC tiebreaker based on strength of schedule is a large motivating factor. And some of those "disgruntled fans" on the message board have some real pull-- former players, announcers, top donors, etc.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby lusuperfan » August 25th, 2014, 7:17 am

Rambler63 wrote:
lusuperfan wrote:
rlh04d wrote:That's what I want to hear.

I was referring to a lot of behind the scenes activity, which includes face to face meetings with with the President of the University. The MVC tiebreaker based on strength of schedule is a large motivating factor. And some of those "disgruntled fans" on the message board have some real pull-- former players, announcers, top donors, etc.

Oh sure, and probably the best way fans can cause change is by "voting with their feet" and not coming out to the games to see us play poor teams. LU has seen that happen a lot recently
lusuperfan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Cdizzle » August 25th, 2014, 8:19 am

Aargh wrote:As to who would we rather add than Loyola? How about NOBODY! Why the big rush to add another team? My thought was that if Loyola was the best there was at that time, maybe wait until a better time to add a team.

An option I favored, but apparently no one in the league had the thought presented to them. If Loyola looked like a program that was ready to invest and improve, great, let them prove it.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » August 25th, 2014, 4:35 pm

lusuperfan wrote:
rlh04d wrote:

I'm operating under the assumption that every Rambler fan on a message board equals 2% of Loyola's total fanbase.

Boom. Roasted.

:Yea!:

Seriously, though, it's not like Loyola has bandwagon fans. Most of you are boosters and almost all of you are alumni. In a program as small as Loyola, you do have a voice, to some degree.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » September 3rd, 2014, 8:24 am

UNI adds a home game with Richmond

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArti ... MOBILE=YES

Might finish the non-con schedule, though I wouldn't count out a D-II or D-III game in December during the winter break.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » September 3rd, 2014, 8:46 am

Khan4Cats wrote:UNI adds a home game with Richmond

http://www.richmondspiders.com/ViewArti ... MOBILE=YES

Might finish the non-con schedule, though I wouldn't count out a D-II or D-III game in December during the winter break.

Extremely solid late add for UNI.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball