Who challenges Wichita State next year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Turner » March 30th, 2014, 7:25 am

I assume WSU rolls through the Valley again as they return more than anyone and had the best season ever. Indiana State will fall off minus Odum. Who's second? Missouri State? UNI?
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who challenges Wichita State next year?

Postby pafan » March 30th, 2014, 7:27 am

I feel like UNI is most likely to finish 2nd next year, but I supect the real answer to your question is "no one"
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Wufan » March 30th, 2014, 7:58 am

Turner wrote:I assume WSU rolls through the Valley again as they return more than anyone and had the best season ever. Indiana State will fall off minus Odum. Who's second? Missouri State? UNI?

UNI has a chance to be really good next year. Tuttle and Buss will anchor the front court and will be a difficult match-up for the majority of the Valley, and possibly a good chunk of top 50 teams. 6-9 freshman Bennett Koch needs to add some weight and step up big in the post as the Panthers have no proven depth and no real size to speak of. Bohannon, Morgan, and Jesperson (6-6 Virginia transfer) should be excellent from the wing position. Washpun and Mitchell have the talent to be top notch PGs, but I haven't seen the on court leadership as of yet.

MSU will return Marcus Marshall and Austin Ruder in the backcourt. They will be second only to WSU's VanVleet and Baker. Dorian Williams and Devon Thomas will provide good PG depth as well. Mvouika and Thurman are long and skilled wings. Neither rebounds or plays defense particularly well and that will have to improve. Chris Kendrix should be an excellent freshman wing that will push for PT. McCullough and Kirk are passable bigs. Someone from MSU is going to have to step up for MSU to push WSU.

ISUr is a dark horse. If Hawkins and McIntosh are the best two freshman in the league, then the Redbirds will have just enough talent to push WSU. I doubt that the little ISU backcourt will have enough to actually win a title, but they could be within a game or two late in the conference season.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » March 30th, 2014, 4:40 pm

I'm not sure of the Wichita state new recruits or players coming in but losing cleanthony is gunna be a huge loss I know they have basically everyone else back but it seemed to me that whenever they needed a big play or someone to step up and get a bucket it was him. Without him teams can just zone in on van vleet and baker I think they win it but I also believe they will lose 4 games. I think if lofton is back at isu and Mcintosh and Hawkins are the players we believe they will be the birds will finish 2nd. Those are "ifs" tho
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » March 30th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Wufan wrote:
Turner wrote:I assume WSU rolls through the Valley again as they return more than anyone and had the best season ever. Indiana State will fall off minus Odum. Who's second? Missouri State? UNI?

ISUr is a dark horse. If Hawkins and McIntosh are the best two freshman in the league, then the Redbirds will have just enough talent to push WSU. I doubt that the little ISU backcourt will have enough to actually win a title, but they could be within a game or two late in the conference season.

They may be the best freshmen recruits (from two years ago) or may not. Zach brown and Rashard Kelly, two older freshmen with prep years under their belts were very comparable recruits out of high school in the 150-200 range. I will agree that Hawkins and McIntosh will be more vital to the Red, than brown and Kelly will be to the Shocks this year. They will be support pieces at WSU.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird23 » March 30th, 2014, 7:33 pm

With everybody coming back (Lofton suspect) the Birds will be a dangerous team, especially with Hawkins and McIntosh coming in, it'll give them height they desperately need. What's interesting is with Purcell visiting this weekend Muller had him with Lofton and Reggie. Two very different personalities, with this I assume the ZL is staying at Redbird. If they this Purcell kid comes to BloNo I think they're the best team in the Valley. (Projected Line-Up)

PG Hunter/Lee
SG Knight/Lofton/Purcell
SF Hawkins
PF McIntosh
C Lynch

Key Reserves:
Zeisloft
Jones
Keane
Samuel
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mvcfan » March 30th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Redbird23 wrote:With everybody coming back (Lofton suspect) the Birds will be a dangerous team, especially with Hawkins and McIntosh coming in, it'll give them height they desperately need. What's interesting is with Purcell visiting this weekend Muller had him with Lofton and Reggie. Two very different personalities, with this I assume the ZL is staying at Redbird. If they this Purcell kid comes to BloNo I think they're the best team in the Valley. (Projected Line-Up)

PG Hunter/Lee
SG Knight/Lofton/Purcell
SF Hawkins
PF McIntosh
C Lynch

Key Reserves:
Zeisloft
Jones
Keane
Samuel

You will be much improved next year but for you to declare your team to be the most talented/best lineup/ best team in the league or whatever terms you use, is ludicrous. The most talented player on you list won't have played a game for at least 2 1/2 years by the time next year rolls around and that is if he is eligible.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » March 30th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Who will challenge WSU will really come down to who can split a series with WSU and beat the teams they should beat.

UNI and Missouri State both have teams that could make the NCAA tournament if they schedule and play well in the nonconference season. I feel like every team in the league other than Indiana State has a good opportunity to be better than they were this year, though.

My guess is MoSt if they can stay healthy.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jturner38 » March 31st, 2014, 7:49 am

I dont think Ind st will drop off as far as some ppl think. With key pieces back (K. Smith, Gant, Kitchell, Brown) I think they will be able to finish 3rd (Maybe stretching a lil) or 4th at best and 6th at worst. I say 6th with guessing WSU, UNI, ILL ST, MO ST, and SIU finish in front. 3rd only if they get past SIU, Mo st, and Ill st. But that's my opinion.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » March 31st, 2014, 10:53 am

jturner38 wrote:I dont think Ind st will drop off as far as some ppl think. With key pieces back (K. Smith, Gant, Kitchell, Brown) I think they will be able to finish 3rd (Maybe stretching a lil) or 4th at best and 6th at worst. I say 6th with guessing WSU, UNI, ILL ST, MO ST, and SIU finish in front. 3rd only if they get past SIU, Mo st, and Ill st. But that's my opinion.

I don't think the falloff will be large for ISU either, but everyone else appears to be in position to be better. It's hard to know how all the newcomers will turn out. If ISU did the appropriate eval and got the right players, they will be in good shape.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball