Who challenges Wichita State next year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who challenges Wichita State next year?

Postby shockem » March 31st, 2014, 1:29 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:I'm not sure of the Wichita state new recruits or players coming in but losing cleanthony is gunna be a huge loss I know they have basically everyone else back but it seemed to me that whenever they needed a big play or someone to step up and get a bucket it was him. Without him teams can just zone in on van vleet and baker I think they win it but I also believe they will lose 4 games. I think if lofton is back at isu and Mcintosh and Hawkins are the players we believe they will be the birds will finish 2nd. Those are "ifs" tho

No doubt Early is a huge loss. Our 3 headed monster underneath is now down to 1 small head and some incoming guys, so another unknown there. That said, last year was supposed to be a setback with the loss of our two "best players" in Hall and Armstead. The year before that we were supposed to take a step back with the loss of Murry, Stutz, Kyles, Ragland and Smith (we were a 5 seed that year). Long story short, we seem to get better every year despite the losses. We have a trend of JUCO guys taking huge steps forward between jr and sr year. Expect big things from Darius Carter. The minutes are there for him at the 4-5. We have what Marshall has called his best recruting class ever coming in, which is basically 3 freak athletes in the 6'6"-6'8" range (freshmen) and big point guard (freshman) and 7 foot JUCO. Not to mention our 2 guys taking the redshirts off. You have to play your "A" game to beat us because as long as we have Baker-VanVleet-Cotton on the court, we won't beat ourselves.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jigga » March 31st, 2014, 4:05 pm

Redbird23 wrote:With everybody coming back (Lofton suspect) the Birds will be a dangerous team, especially with Hawkins and McIntosh coming in, it'll give them height they desperately need. What's interesting is with Purcell visiting this weekend Muller had him with Lofton and Reggie. Two very different personalities, with this I assume the ZL is staying at Redbird. If they this Purcell kid comes to BloNo I think they're the best team in the Valley. (Projected Line-Up)

PG Hunter/Lee
SG Knight/Lofton/Purcell
SF Hawkins
PF McIntosh
C Lynch

Key Reserves:
Zeisloft
Jones
Keane
Samuel

Word is that Purcell comitted...
idk much about his game except he jumps out the gym and he was the Birds primary target.

Hopefully Birds keep Lofton, if he stays I too also declare we are the most dangerous team in the Valley.
We make a push to win the Valley next season and possibly dethrone the the Almighty Shockers.

Hopefully the staff and Lofton both realize this is prime opportunity to do something special and they decide to stick it out.

Does this give us the best recruiting class in the Valley? not sure just wondering
(Purcell 6'5, Hawkins 6'8, McIntosh 6'7)

We still have a Scholly available too, whether Lofton stays or goes, their is a good chance we get another recruit to add to the list.

One thing is for sure, we shouldn't be too undersized for any Valley teams next year.
jigga
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Rollbird5 » March 31st, 2014, 5:33 pm

shockem wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:I'm not sure of the Wichita state new recruits or players coming in but losing cleanthony is gunna be a huge loss I know they have basically everyone else back but it seemed to me that whenever they needed a big play or someone to step up and get a bucket it was him. Without him teams can just zone in on van vleet and baker I think they win it but I also believe they will lose 4 games. I think if lofton is back at isu and Mcintosh and Hawkins are the players we believe they will be the birds will finish 2nd. Those are "ifs" tho

No doubt Early is a huge loss. Our 3 headed monster underneath is now down to 1 small head and some incoming guys, so another unknown there. That said, last year was supposed to be a setback with the loss of our two "best players" in Hall and Armstead. The year before that we were supposed to take a step back with the loss of Murry, Stutz, Kyles, Ragland and Smith (we were a 5 seed that year). Long story short, we seem to get better every year despite the losses. We have a trend of JUCO guys taking huge steps forward between jr and sr year. Expect big things from Darius Carter. The minutes are there for him at the 4-5. We have what Marshall has called his best recruting class ever coming in, which is basically 3 freak athletes in the 6'6"-6'8" range (freshmen) and big point guard (freshman) and 7 foot JUCO. Not to mention our 2 guys taking the redshirts off. You have to play your "A" game to beat us because as long as we have Baker-VanVleet-Cotton on the court, we won't beat ourselves.

Sounds like a solid class for you guys congrats on that. We just got our top recruit to commit in purcell so the future is looking bright. I can't wait for when the Shockers come to Redbird always the funnest game to go to of the year. Will be a fun challenge to try to beat you guys!
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ValleyFAN » March 31st, 2014, 6:21 pm

At MSU we return Marcus Marshall from injury. Also in the backcourt will be Ruder, Thomas, and Williams. At the wing position we have Mvouika and Thurman. Post will be a combination of Juco transfer Cam Boone, Tyler McCullough, and Christian Kirk. We are likely to add another juco player to the roster.

Signed we have 6-6 postman Robin Thompson and 6-4 wing Chris Kendrix. Kendrix is a local product who chose the Bears early but had an incredibly strong senior season. Freak athlete, long, does a lot of good things. Many suspect that had he waited to commit, he would have picked up a few BCS level offers. Many think that Kendrix will be able to step right in and compete for playing time.

I cant judge everything 100% until all teams have rosters set, but right now I'd say UNI/ISUr/MSU will all be near the top chasing the Shockers.
ValleyFAN
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ShoxNAwe » March 31st, 2014, 7:56 pm

Turner wrote:I assume WSU rolls through the Valley again as they return more than anyone and had the best season ever.

It was a remarkable season, but probably not best ever. Last year and 1964, along with 1981 have to be right up there.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » March 31st, 2014, 8:24 pm

ShoxNAwe wrote:
Turner wrote:I assume WSU rolls through the Valley again as they return more than anyone and had the best season ever.

It was a remarkable season, but probably not best ever. Last year and 1964, along with 1981 have to be right up there.

You seem to be basing it on tourney success. In 1964 and 81 WSU only won 2 tourney games to get to the final four and Elite 8 respectively. Taken as a whole, this year was the most successful year ever...35 freaking wins! 35 game winning streak!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShoxNAwe » March 31st, 2014, 8:54 pm

Wufan wrote:
ShoxNAwe wrote:

You seem to be basing it on tourney success. In 1964 and 81 WSU only won 2 tourney games to get to the final four and Elite 8 respectively. Taken as a whole, this year was the most successful year ever...35 freaking wins! 35 game winning streak!

Considering the quality of the MVC in 1964, going to the Final Four puts that year near the top.

Back to the future, here's a write-up on the 2015 Shockers from Adam Finkelstein of ESPN:
In order to return to the NCAA tournament, a team needs contributions from both returning players and incoming recruits. Here's a look at Wichita State and its chances of dancing again in 2015.

Quick references:
2013-14 roster
2014 recruiting

Possible 2014-2015 starting five:
G: Fred VanVleet
G: Tekele Cotton
G: Ron Baker
F: Rashard Kelly
F: Darius Carter

Who it loses: The Shockers lose the vast majority of their frontcourt, including leading scorer and rebounder Cleanthony Early. The 6-foot-8 forward scored in a variety of ways, utilizing his athleticism in the open floor and then going both inside and out in the half court. Chadrack Lufile and Kadeem Coleby have combined to play the majority of the minutes at the center position this season, and they’ll both move on, as will Nick Wiggins, a 6-6 swingman who provided consistent rotation minutes off the bench.

Who it adds: It’s no surprise that the frontcourt is the emphasis of a deep five-man class, beginning with a pair of 6-7 forwards with complementing styles. Zach Brown is a long and athletic slashing type with a very high ceiling, while Rashard Kelly is a rugged inside-out player who has the ability to handle mismatches. But he tends to be best inside of 12 feet. Seven-foot junior-college prospect Bush Wamukota will help to replace some of the sheer size the Shockers lose, while Eric Hamilton is another inside-out 4-man. Corey Henderson Jr. is a versatile combo guard who can shoot with range while also offering minutes at the point.

What it means for next season: The return of VanVleet, Cotton and Baker gives Wichita State as dangerous and experienced a three-guard lineup as there will be in college basketball. They’re collectively balanced and versatile, and they’re all individually efficient. Ultimately, Wichita State will likely go as far as those three take them. The Shockers’ front line will have noticeably less experience and sheer size than it did this season, and they will likely play without a true center for large stretches of time. Darius Carter is going to get a chance to step up and earn a more significant role, while the newcomers are going to have to grow up in a hurry. Kelly, in particular, could be in store for a starting job from day one, while at least two others are likely to see consistent rotation minutes in their first season.

Trending: Slightly down. Duplicating a historic season would be nearly impossible, but Wichita State’s guards will help it to remain a top-notch, mid-major powerhouse. Whether or not they ultimately compete with the big boys come next March will depend on how the frontcourt develops.
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby rlh04d » March 31st, 2014, 9:46 pm

ShoxNAwe wrote:Who it adds: It’s no surprise that the frontcourt is the emphasis of a deep five-man class, beginning with a pair of 6-7 forwards with complementing styles. Zach Brown is a long and athletic slashing type with a very high ceiling, while Rashard Kelly is a rugged inside-out player who has the ability to handle mismatches. But he tends to be best inside of 12 feet. Seven-foot junior-college prospect Bush Wamukota will help to replace some of the sheer size the Shockers lose, while Eric Hamilton is another inside-out 4-man. Corey Henderson Jr. is a versatile combo guard who can shoot with range while also offering minutes at the point.

Good article, although surprising they didn't mention Shaq Morris coming off of his redshirt season.

I don't really think we're losing "sheer size" -- we'll have close to the same size, but that size will be far less experienced.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ali » April 1st, 2014, 11:24 am

I think UNI will be pretty good. And I don't think WSU runs the table again.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » April 1st, 2014, 3:24 pm

Ali wrote:I think UNI will be pretty good. And I don't think WSU runs the table again.

This seems realistic. I think you can sub in ISUr and MSU for UNI and probably still be accurate. Those things, combined with WSU most likely not winning all of their games for an entire season, probably make things a lot more interesting in the league race next year.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball