Ranking the recruiting classes

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Ranking the recruiting classes

Postby shockem » April 12th, 2014, 8:46 am

ACECARD wrote:I'm through saying that any of the Aces newcomers will lead the Aces to the conference championship, at least, this coming season. I will say they will be better than last year. Whether that gets them out of Thursday remains to be seen.

Just out of curiosity, are any of the incoming recruits going to be the understudy to DJ or are they all pick setting role players this year?
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ACECARD » April 12th, 2014, 9:26 am

shockem wrote:
ACECARD wrote:I'm through saying that any of the Aces newcomers will lead the Aces to the conference championship, at least, this coming season. I will say they will be better than last year. Whether that gets them out of Thursday remains to be seen.

Just out of curiosity, are any of the incoming recruits going to be the understudy to DJ or are they all pick setting role players this year?

From what I hear, DJ will be the only player allowed to take a shot next season. Anyone not setting, at least, 5 screens will have to sit out the next game. :roll:
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby siudawgs » April 12th, 2014, 10:01 am

SIU fans are pretty optimistic about the four newcomers coming in next year. All are high schoolers, three have signed already (Armon Fletcher, Jordan Caroline, Chaz Glotta), one has verbaled (Deion Lavender). There's a chance SIU will sign someone else during the spring period ... technically they're out of scholarships, but there are rumblings Mike Balogun likely won't be back. A much, much worse scenario would be Anthony Beane and his dad leaving town as a package deal ... hopefully not, that would be a huge setback to the rebuild. Aside from the four prep newcomers listed below, lightning-quick but small point guard KC Goodwin redshirted this year and Illinois transfer Ibby Djimbe sat out. Djimbe is a 6-8 bruiser who, along with Bola Olaniyan, should give SIU one of the most physically imposing (though offensively challenged) frontlines in the MVC. Anyway:

Armon Fletcher, 6-5 forward from Edwardsville, Ill. Top player on team that finished fourth place in Illinois' biggest high school class. A very rangy, athletic wing who should be an excellent defender and high-energy player. Has some offensive game but probably will initially be more effective defensively and as an energy guy.

Jordan Caroline, 6-6 forward from Montverde Academy in Florida via Champaign. A burly, undersized power forward who started on arguably the best prep school team in the country. Put up decent but not great numbers on a roster loaded with high-end talent. Is expected to add sorely needed depth to the frontcourt and be ready to help right away based on high level of competition at Montverde. Is son of former Illinois/NFL football player Simeon Rice.

Chaz Glotta, 6-1 guard from suburban St. Louis. Combo guard who scored more than 2,000 points in his high school career. Mostly a shooter but can score in other ways, too. A coach's son. Excellent free throw shooter ... I'm sure Barry has long-term visions of Blake Ahearn. Probably most likely of newcomers to redshirt based on position/body type.

Deion Lavender, 6-4 guard from Alton Marquette High in Illinois, near STL. Late-bloomer who scored like crazy as a senior, albeit against lesser competition than others in this recruiting class. Not supremely athletic but a big guard who is a very good shooter and has a strong scorer's mindset. Was AAU teammate of Armon Fletcher.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » April 12th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Bear's are still actively evaluating and adding, have 1-2 scholys still open. Added a verbal from 6'5 Vincennes swing man Loomis Gerring this weekend. A Missouri kid from KC area [Grandview HS] Loomis was the leading scorer and rebounder on a very good Vincennes team that featured two juco All Americans . Supposedly we are one of three finalists for next location of Indiana University transfer 6'6 Austin Etherington, a top 100 kid out of HS. who is due to graduate this fall as sophomore and therefore is eligible immediately with two years eligibility still there. Supposed to be in Springfield next weekend and will decide between Butler, New Mexico and MSU. Previously had verbal from Messa Community College pf, Camyn Boone a 6'6-6'7 240 lb wide body who averaged 16ppg and 9 rbs . He was added to a fall HS class of 6'7 Robyn Thompson from St Louis and 6'5 Chris Kendrix from Willard[ Springfield area]. I'll summarize more when we are done, but I will say that in my estimation Kendrix is the most talented player I've seen the Bears ink since Danny Moore.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » April 12th, 2014, 8:22 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:Bear's are still actively evaluating and adding, have 1-2 scholys still open. Added a verbal from 6'5 Vincennes swing man Loomis Gerring this weekend. A Missouri kid from KC area [Grandview HS] Loomis was the leading scorer and rebounder on a very good Vincennes team that featured two juco All Americans . Supposedly we are one of three finalists for next location of Indiana University transfer 6'6 Austin Etherington, a top 100 kid out of HS. who is due to graduate this fall as sophomore and therefore is eligible immediately with two years eligibility still there. Supposed to be in Springfield next weekend and will decide between Butler, New Mexico and MSU. Previously had verbal from Messa Community College pf, Camyn Boone a 6'6-6'7 240 lb wide body who averaged 16ppg and 9 rbs . He was added to a fall HS class of 6'7 Robyn Thompson from St Louis and 6'5 Chris Kendrix from Willard[ Springfield area]. I'll summarize more when we are done, but I will say that in my estimation Kendrix is the most talented player I've seen the Bears ink since Danny Moore.

I agree regarding Kendrix. He's a terrific athlete that has really worked on the skill aspects of his game the last couple of years. Despite the Bears having quite a bit of talent this next year I think he gets quite a bit of PT this coming year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk-zh91N6lA

Don't know too much about Gerring yet but he looks like a good pickup. And I think Boone despite being a bit undersized helps out and gives us a decent post presence. Word is he's a bruiser who loves rebounding and the physical aspects of post play.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » April 13th, 2014, 5:06 am

Bruising forwards are something this league has lacked in large quantity for a couple of years. It sounds like we are starting to sprinkle a few more in.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

I hope Loyola is bringing in a lot of talent. Or at least a lot of guys. Their roster (especially the frontcourt) has been decimated by transfers.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » April 14th, 2014, 10:54 am

Cdizzle wrote:I hope Loyola is bringing in a lot of talent. Or at least a lot of guys. Their roster (especially the frontcourt) has been decimated by transfers.

Who has transferred from Loyola? I haven't been to their board in quite some time.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » April 14th, 2014, 10:55 am

Speaking of transfers, RS freshman wing Derail Green is transferring out of the WSU program. We have one available scholarship.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 14th, 2014, 11:11 am

Wufan wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:I hope Loyola is bringing in a lot of talent. Or at least a lot of guys. Their roster (especially the frontcourt) has been decimated by transfers.

Who has transferred from Loyola? I haven't been to their board in quite some time.

Pickett, Johnson, O'Leary, Osborne, and King.

According to the roster, that would leave them with no players 6'8" or taller, and only one at 6'7".

Something is wrong in Chicago. This turnover rate is making IlSU look, well, Normal.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball