6. Loyola
7. N. Iowa
8. Indiana St.
9. Drake
10. Evansville

Flame away!

Based on?

The fact that it's a 1 person class?

That one person is Iowa's Gatorade POY, Mr Basketball, has all kinds of records at the best BB program in the state of Iowa (While playing on a team that has sent 7-8 kids D1 during his time so he was never asked to put up big numbers yet still did....including UNI's Jeremy Morgan), dropped 60 multiple times in AAU games, and had people with rivals/espn/ny2la/etc... say if he didn't solidily commit as a soph he'd likely have some B10/B12 offers.

It's nearly impossible to rank classes at the time they happen (it takes for them to get 3 or 4 years down the road to do it accurately) and even more so to do it when there's only 1 kid in the class.

I'd just like your reasoning for UNI being 7th
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: Recruiting Class Rankings

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ranking the recruiting classes

Postby Mike » May 20th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Did Lohaus have any other Division I offers other than UNI?
Mike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby PantherSigEp » May 20th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Mike wrote:Did Lohaus have any other Division I offers other than UNI?

He committed to UNI very early (I want to say the summer before his junior year) and therefore he ended the recruiting process before it could really heat up for a lot of teams like Iowa. He did get a couple offers almost all at once right when he blew up on the AAU scene that summer and accepted an offer to UNI. I think Northern Colorado and Rice offered. This article can probably explain it a bit better than I can: http://iowa.scout.com/2/1208046.html

Once he committed I'm sure programs still contacted him about changing his mind but I highly doubt any of that was public. I certainly don't remember any talk of it but as Iowa's top basketball player and as highly regarded as he was in many AAU competitions it's hard to imagine coaches weren't at least doing a bit of poking.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » May 20th, 2014, 5:22 pm

Watched a couple Youtube videos of wyatt. Obviously doesn't show everything about him but he looks like a nice solid player with a very good jumper. Should be able to come in and help right away. Becoming Mr Basketball in any state is very impressive so he should be a tough player in the valley in years to come.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » May 20th, 2014, 6:43 pm

The same situation played out with his HS, and now college, teammate Jeremy Morgan.

Both committed pretty early in the previous the process but continued to blow up the AAU scene. Both were extremely solid from day 1 so while a couple calls may have been made early word got out to not really bother with them...especially after Morgan committed to UNI about 2 days after getting an Iowa State offer. Very similar story on Tuttle as well actually, and his aau coach went on record saying he wishes Seth has waited a he'd have gotten p5 offers

Both shared the court with a team full of D1 athletes in a program that is something like 70-3 with 4 straight titles the last 4 years and top 40 national ranking.

Morgan win Gatorade player of the year in Iowa and set multiple records at west. He finished runner up in Mr Basketball but should have won...however, if a kid commits to Iowa in this state they are a shoe in for the award...Morgan had better numbers but politics are huge in that award.

Will Wyatt be a conference mop? I don't know but likely not. He should, however, be on multiple all conference teams
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: Recruiting Class Rankings

Postby freddycat68 » May 23rd, 2014, 8:18 pm

uniftw wrote:
freddycat68 wrote:What are yours?

Mine:

1. Bradley
2. Illinois State
3. Wichita
4. Missouri State
5. SIU
6. Loyola
7. N. Iowa
8. Indiana St.
9. Drake
10. Evansville

Flame away!

Based on?

The fact that it's a 1 person class?

That one person is Iowa's Gatorade POY, Mr Basketball, has all kinds of records at the best BB program in the state of Iowa (While playing on a team that has sent 7-8 kids D1 during his time so he was never asked to put up big numbers yet still did....including UNI's Jeremy Morgan), dropped 60 multiple times in AAU games, and had people with rivals/espn/ny2la/etc... say if he didn't solidily commit as a soph he'd likely have some B10/B12 offers.

It's nearly impossible to rank classes at the time they happen (it takes for them to get 3 or 4 years down the road to do it accurately) and even more so to do it when there's only 1 kid in the class.

I'd just like your reasoning for UNI being 7th

uni, unlike most fans I am not wed to these picks at all. I sure have no reason to doubt what you say. I guess the question is which class I listed ahead of UNI do you think is behind UNI? The Valley seems to be recruiting at a very high level right now, I think it's fair to say with BU and ILSU getting to a higher level than they've been in a while. FWIW I think UNI will finish ahead of both anyway for the foreseeable future until good recruiting becomes good play. Again, no offense intended at all.
freddycat68
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 2livewu » May 24th, 2014, 10:57 pm

Trying to rank recruiting classes is impossible.

Is 5 always better than 2?

What if one team has 1 outstanding recruit and 3 hopeful panouts while another adds 1 piece they really needed?

What if the best recruit plays PG at WSU and redshirt and doesn't contribute for 2 years, but the 8th best starts for Evansville averages 14 a game, and the Aces go 4-14 in conference?

I'm sure Wyatt Lohuas (sp?) will be a fine player, but don't tell me if he was all that that Iowa couldn't have had him if they wanted him, assuming his Dad is former Hawkeye Brad. And as far as being Gatorade POY, remember in 2006 WSU signed the POY out of Arkansas, Chris Brown. Yes, that Chris Brown.

That's why ranking the recruits is futile.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » May 25th, 2014, 10:34 am

2livewu wrote:Trying to rank recruiting classes is impossible.

What if one team has 1 outstanding recruit and 3 hopeful panouts while another adds 1 piece they really needed?

What if the best recruit plays PG at WSU and redshirt and doesn't contribute for 2 years, but the 8th best starts for Evansville averages 14 a game, and the Aces go 4-14 in conference?

I'm sure Wyatt Lohuas (sp?) will be a fine player, but don't tell me if he was all that that Iowa couldn't have had him if they wanted him, assuming his Dad is former Hawkeye Brad. And as far as being Gatorade POY, remember in 2006 WSU signed the POY out of Arkansas, Chris Brown. Yes, that Chris Brown.

The current staff at Iowa has not embraced any Legacy players and pretty much has shunned Jeremy Morgan's father, who played and coached there.

It wasn't that Iowa didn't have any interest in Morgan and Lohaus, it's that neither one had much interest in Iowa. Morgan had offers from both Iowa State and Creighton and Lohaus was headed for an Iowa State offer but decided to commit early to play with Jeremy Morgan.

I expect Lohaus to play pretty significant minutes this year, especially if Mitchell and Washpun don't value possession like they did much of last year.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » May 25th, 2014, 5:37 pm

WSU has what may be the best recruiting class Marshall has ever had s a HC, but...

...it's going to be impossible to tell for a couple of years. With 5 pretty solid players returning from a 35-1 team, and 2 RS Fr joining that group, there will probably only be 3 of the 6 incoming recruits seeing much floor time this year.

Probably be another couple of redshirts in this recruiting class.

Henderson will get some minutes to gain exp as the backup PG, but I expect Baker to get those minutes in tight games. the 2 prep school guys, Kelley and Brown, seem to have "you can't keep this guy off the court" reps coming in, and Wamukota will get some minutes playing goalie. Throw those guys into the mix with the 7 who were here last year, and that's 11 deep - which is an unlikely ongoing rotation.

It could tke 2 to 3 years to accurately evaluate the current WSU recruiting class.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » May 26th, 2014, 12:03 pm

2livewu wrote:Trying to rank recruiting classes is impossible.

As BC said Iowa State wanted both of them - and really wanted Tuttle as well.

Iowa "wanted" them but with their coach being from the East Coast they stopped caring about Iowa players, for the most part, especially Iowa players with ties to the Iowa program. Keep in mind Morgan and Wyatt literally just down the street from Carver Hawkeye arena (7 minutes by car..I've done the drive) and the high school is about a 30 second walk from UI's campus. If they wanted to be Hawkeye's they would be. Morgan had an Iowa State offer and picked UNI. Wyatt was probably days away from an offer but committed to UNI (just after his soph season).

They were both very strong verbals to UNI and didn't play the recruiting game like their AAU coach wanted. As I said - that is the exact same story with Tuttle. His AAU coach was on record as being rather upset Tuttle didn't wait to commit as he felt he had Iowa, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Minnesota style offers coming to him.

Lohaus averaged 19.5 points, 5.1 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.6 steals per game while shooting nearly 90 percent from the free throw line and 57% from the floor last season. He did this while playing only about 3 quarters per game as they were blowing people out. He was 94-9 as a 4 year starter with 4 state titles on a team that was ranked nationally.

I guess you'd be more impressed with a guy like Casey Schlatter who put up closer to 34 PPG on a team that was in class 2A (the second smallest vs 4A..the largest) going against kids who were, on average, 3-4 inches shorter than him while putting up a killer 8-14 record and shooting just 46%

There's a reason that by the time he committed to Drake the only offer he had left was Drake...and maybe Lehigh
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball