Ranking the recruiting classes

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Ranking the recruiting classes

Postby rlh04d » May 26th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Aargh wrote:It could tke 2 to 3 years to accurately evaluate the current WSU recruiting class.

I wonder what it would look like if we evaluated the last five recruiting classes for each Valley team. We'd actually have data to base that on.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Drakey » May 27th, 2014, 8:17 am

uniftw wrote:
2livewu wrote:Trying to rank recruiting classes is impossible.

Is 5 always better than 2?

What if one team has 1 outstanding recruit and 3 hopeful panouts while another adds 1 piece they really needed?

What if the best recruit plays PG at WSU and redshirt and doesn't contribute for 2 years, but the 8th best starts for Evansville averages 14 a game, and the Aces go 4-14 in conference?

I'm sure Wyatt Lohuas (sp?) will be a fine player, but don't tell me if he was all that that Iowa couldn't have had him if they wanted him, assuming his Dad is former Hawkeye Brad. And as far as being Gatorade POY, remember in 2006 WSU signed the POY out of Arkansas, Chris Brown. Yes, that Chris Brown.

That's why ranking the recruits is futile.
As BC said Iowa State wanted both of them - and really wanted Tuttle as well.

Iowa "wanted" them but with their coach being from the East Coast they stopped caring about Iowa players, for the most part, especially Iowa players with ties to the Iowa program. Keep in mind Morgan and Wyatt literally just down the street from Carver Hawkeye arena (7 minutes by car..I've done the drive) and the high school is about a 30 second walk from UI's campus. If they wanted to be Hawkeye's they would be. Morgan had an Iowa State offer and picked UNI. Wyatt was probably days away from an offer but committed to UNI (just after his soph season).

They were both very strong verbals to UNI and didn't play the recruiting game like their AAU coach wanted. As I said - that is the exact same story with Tuttle. His AAU coach was on record as being rather upset Tuttle didn't wait to commit as he felt he had Iowa, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Minnesota style offers coming to him.

Lohaus averaged 19.5 points, 5.1 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.6 steals per game while shooting nearly 90 percent from the free throw line and 57% from the floor last season. He did this while playing only about 3 quarters per game as they were blowing people out. He was 94-9 as a 4 year starter with 4 state titles on a team that was ranked nationally.

I guess you'd be more impressed with a guy like Casey Schlatter who put up closer to 34 PPG on a team that was in class 2A (the second smallest vs 4A..the largest) going against kids who were, on average, 3-4 inches shorter than him while putting up a killer 8-14 record and shooting just 46%

There's a reason that by the time he committed to Drake the only offer he had left was Drake...and maybe Lehigh

You sure seem to spend a lot of time worrying about Drake...and with good reason.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheDrake » May 27th, 2014, 8:57 am

uniftw wrote:
2livewu wrote:Trying to rank recruiting classes is impossible.

Is 5 always better than 2?

What if one team has 1 outstanding recruit and 3 hopeful panouts while another adds 1 piece they really needed?

What if the best recruit plays PG at WSU and redshirt and doesn't contribute for 2 years, but the 8th best starts for Evansville averages 14 a game, and the Aces go 4-14 in conference?

I'm sure Wyatt Lohuas (sp?) will be a fine player, but don't tell me if he was all that that Iowa couldn't have had him if they wanted him, assuming his Dad is former Hawkeye Brad. And as far as being Gatorade POY, remember in 2006 WSU signed the POY out of Arkansas, Chris Brown. Yes, that Chris Brown.

That's why ranking the recruits is futile.
As BC said Iowa State wanted both of them - and really wanted Tuttle as well.

Iowa "wanted" them but with their coach being from the East Coast they stopped caring about Iowa players, for the most part, especially Iowa players with ties to the Iowa program. Keep in mind Morgan and Wyatt literally just down the street from Carver Hawkeye arena (7 minutes by car..I've done the drive) and the high school is about a 30 second walk from UI's campus. If they wanted to be Hawkeye's they would be. Morgan had an Iowa State offer and picked UNI. Wyatt was probably days away from an offer but committed to UNI (just after his soph season).

They were both very strong verbals to UNI and didn't play the recruiting game like their AAU coach wanted. As I said - that is the exact same story with Tuttle. His AAU coach was on record as being rather upset Tuttle didn't wait to commit as he felt he had Iowa, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Minnesota style offers coming to him.

Lohaus averaged 19.5 points, 5.1 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.6 steals per game while shooting nearly 90 percent from the free throw line and 57% from the floor last season. He did this while playing only about 3 quarters per game as they were blowing people out. He was 94-9 as a 4 year starter with 4 state titles on a team that was ranked nationally.

I guess you'd be more impressed with a guy like Casey Schlatter who put up closer to 34 PPG on a team that was in class 2A (the second smallest vs 4A..the largest) going against kids who were, on average, 3-4 inches shorter than him while putting up a killer 8-14 record and shooting just 46%

There's a reason that by the time he committed to Drake the only offer he had left was Drake...and maybe Lehigh

Did your wife leave you for a Drake grad or something? You seem awfuly salty about us.

You're totally right about Schlatter though. What a scrub. The guy picks up double and triple teams all year and somehow lucks into leading the state in scoring and finishing second in rebounding. And don't even get me started on his "multiple 50 point games." Any one of UNI's vaunted recruits would have scored 100 had they been on the team instead! :Yea!:
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » May 28th, 2014, 10:52 am

Most D1 recuits would drop 35 a game too if he was the only option a team had and was 4 inches taller than anyone guarding him.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheDrake » May 28th, 2014, 2:32 pm

uniftw wrote:Most D1 recuits would drop 35 a game too if he was the only option a team had and was 4 inches taller than anyone guarding him.

Yeah, you said that.
You don't like one of our recruits. Got it.

We do.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby PantherSigEp » May 28th, 2014, 8:40 pm

My opinions on Schlatter aren't too far off from uniftw's but c'mon guy, please just let it go. There's no need to be petty about whether an 18 year old can ball or not. I don't think anyone would call him a homerun recruit but he's still going D1 to Drake.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » May 28th, 2014, 9:05 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:My opinions on Schlatter aren't too far off from uniftw's but c'mon guy, please just let it go. There's no need to be petty about whether an 18 year old can ball or not. I don't think anyone would call him a homerun recruit but he's still going D1 to Drake.

:+1:

Thank you. No idea why uniftw even brought him into the conversation.

I guess we'll know in a couple of years what kind of a recruit he is. With the type of players most MVC teams get, the ratings are pretty meaningless.

According to the ratings, Rayvonte Rice was only the 3rd best player in Drake's class the year he signed.

You just never know who's going to get a lot better and who's already peaked.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uniftw » May 28th, 2014, 9:40 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:My opinions on Schlatter aren't too far off from uniftw's but c'mon guy, please just let it go. There's no need to be petty about whether an 18 year old can ball or not. I don't think anyone would call him a homerun recruit but he's still going D1 to Drake.

I guess we'll know in a couple of years what kind of a recruit he is. With the type of players most MVC teams get, the ratings are pretty meaningless.

According to the ratings, Rayvonte Rice was only the 3rd best player in Drake's class the year he signed.

I didn't bring him up to "bash him". I brought him up as a reference point to see who the poster would be "more impressed" with. If you would have read the thread you would have seen that. A Drake poster hasn't shown their face in a month or two but the second Schlatter is brought up their radars go off to defend him.

I brought him up to see if because Wyatt's (a guy who was a 4 year starter for the best program in the state that has won 4 straight state titles and won 94 games in 4 years while playing with about a dozen or so guys who have gone to play D1/D2 basketball (or signed a FBS football LOI) so he deferred his stats to them...yet holds a half dozen or so school records, won every post season award) OR if he'd be more inclined to be impressed with a guy like Schlatter (who put up MASSIVE numbers on a team that finished 6 games under .500 while being the only real threat on the team (no other player was in double digits and only 2 others averaged over 5 ppg) and being 4 inches taller than all of his opponents).

I'm not taking away from the fact he put up 35 points per game and 14 boards per game. Regardless of the reasons those numbers were put up he put up impressive stats. I was asking for a comparassion as to which player he thought had a "more impressive" career.

Though, there's a reason Schlatter put up 35ppg and his only offers when he committed were Drake and Lehigh. He could end up being a 15-20/10-12 guy in the MVC, we won't know that for a couple years.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheDrake » May 29th, 2014, 8:28 am

uniftw wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:

I didn't bring him up to "bash him". I brought him up as a reference point to see who the poster would be "more impressed" with. If you would have read the thread you would have seen that. A Drake poster hasn't shown their face in a month or two but the second Schlatter is brought up their radars go off to defend him.

I brought him up to see if because Wyatt's (a guy who was a 4 year starter for the best program in the state that has won 4 straight state titles and won 94 games in 4 years while playing with about a dozen or so guys who have gone to play D1/D2 basketball (or signed a FBS football LOI) so he deferred his stats to them...yet holds a half dozen or so school records, won every post season award) OR if he'd be more inclined to be impressed with a guy like Schlatter (who put up MASSIVE numbers on a team that finished 6 games under .500 while being the only real threat on the team (no other player was in double digits and only 2 others averaged over 5 ppg) and being 4 inches taller than all of his opponents).

I'm not taking away from the fact he put up 35 points per game and 14 boards per game. Regardless of the reasons those numbers were put up he put up impressive stats. I was asking for a comparassion as to which player he thought had a "more impressive" career.

Though, there's a reason Schlatter put up 35ppg and his only offers when he committed were Drake and Lehigh. He could end up being a 15-20/10-12 guy in the MVC, we won't know that for a couple years.

Quit being so secretive. Tell us what you think of Schlatter.
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » May 29th, 2014, 7:53 pm

uniftw. You never asked for an opinion on Schlatter, you got your panties in a wad because someone ranked UNI's recruiting class low, and so you went on attack and for whatever reasons decided to use Schlatter as your focal point of comparison. People aren't that stupid; your intentions were pretty transparent.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball