ISUR Next Season

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: ISUR Next Season

Postby Wufan » April 2nd, 2014, 5:02 pm

I see the Redbirds as a dark horse for second place, and all of that is dependent on three newcomers.

Returning front court consists of: Lynch, I'm a big fan; Jones, nice back-up, Samuel, borderline D-I player.

Returning backcourt has: Hunter/Lofton/Knight/Ziesloft, very good role players, but not guys you build around; Lee/Wills, nice young players that will eventually turn into Hunter/Lofton/Knight/Ziesloft; Keane, a nice back-up.

That means that the Redbirds are counting on an improved Lynch, Purcell making the leap from JUCO to D-I immediately, and one of Hawkins/McIntosh instantly becoming the go to player…Also needed is for one of the returning backcourt guys to become a starting PG.

To me the Redbirds are a dark horse for second place team. As of today, I would place them as tied for third with MSU.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jigga » April 2nd, 2014, 5:41 pm

Wufan wrote:I see the Redbirds as a dark horse for second place, and all of that is dependent on three newcomers.

Returning front court consists of: Lynch, I'm a big fan; Jones, nice back-up, Samuel, borderline D-I player.

Returning backcourt has: Hunter/Lofton/Knight/Ziesloft, very good role players, but not guys you build around; Lee/Wills, nice young players that will eventually turn into Hunter/Lofton/Knight/Ziesloft; Keane, a nice back-up.

That means that the Redbirds are counting on an improved Lynch, Purcell making the leap from JUCO to D-I immediately, and one of Hawkins/McIntosh instantly becoming the go to player…Also needed is for one of the returning backcourt guys to become a starting PG.

To me the Redbirds are a dark horse for second place team. As of today, I would place them as tied for third with MSU.

Personally I'm counting on Lofton Maturing and being a leader, the guys a stud.
also counting on the other size, athleticism, hopefully talent and scoring ability of our new comers.
allowing players to play normal positions instead of SG's playing the PF position.
jigga
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » April 3rd, 2014, 9:57 am

Redbird23 wrote:This team will be good next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see this team in the top 25 next year. This probably has the most talent since the late 90s. Anything less then a 24 win season should be pathetic.

PGs: Hunter, Lee, Lofton (if he wants to start), Keane, Stacho
SGs: Purcell, Lofton, Knight, Zeisloft
SFs: McIntosh, Wills
PFs: Hawkins, Samuel
Cs: Lynch, Jones

And they still have one more scholarship

Someone save this post for further review in March 2015.

Thank you.

Lottsa sunshine in the off season. Lots.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » April 3rd, 2014, 8:54 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:Someone save this post for further review in March 2015.

Thank you.

Lottsa sunshine in the off season. Lots.

To be fair, his prediction was solid last offseason:

Redbird23 wrote:I think ISU surprises the MVC finishing maybe 4/5. McIntosh, Lofton, and Hunter are going to shine...

Obviously wrong on McIntosh, but the place was correct.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » April 7th, 2014, 4:40 pm

I'm going to say you aren't going to have to worry about the scholarship count anymore with 3 players transferring. ISU will have more than enough scholarships to go around!
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » April 7th, 2014, 4:48 pm

mathewson10 wrote:I'm going to say you aren't going to have to worry about the scholarship count anymore with 3 players transferring. ISU will have more than enough scholarships to go around!

But will they have enough D-I players to fill them?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SeeRed » April 7th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Yarbrough and Sprawell seem like upgrades.
SeeRed
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby mathewson10 » April 7th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Wufan wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:I'm going to say you aren't going to have to worry about the scholarship count anymore with 3 players transferring. ISU will have more than enough scholarships to go around!

But will they have enough D-I players to fill them?

Including Purcell & not counting Samuels, we have 9 D-I players ready to go for next season. I'm sure this was no surprise to coaching staff. They actually didn't renew Lofton's scholarship. So I'm sure there will be guys ready to fill the roster. Maybe a JUCO & a couple freshmen. Either way 10-13 on a basketball roster don't really see the floor if you have a solid 1-9.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » April 8th, 2014, 5:54 am

Ummm, Practice??

You can't run decent practices without a full compliment of scholarship players. It takes 13-15 guys to really run good, competitive practices. That's where you get better, not on game night.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » April 8th, 2014, 6:59 am

I'm sure ISU will be able to get some "practice" players. They were predicted to be at the bottom of the conference this season.....& they held the #3 seed for a majority of the season with all new players.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball