ISUR Next Season

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: ISUR Next Season

Postby tribecalledquest » April 11th, 2014, 2:08 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
Red wrote:
Redbird Recon wrote:Our top targets are collectively better than our departures.
These next few weeks will make or break Muller's tenure.

Lofton is a big loss and Zeisloft is too really. I don't see anyone stepping in and contributing right away what they were giving us.

That sounds like what some people were saying last year about the team. Whole bunch of new guys. Never played together before. There is no way they can mold together. Predicted to be last or 2nd to last in the conference. Hmmm

How many times are you going to bank on the same narrative working?

Of course, ISU could turn into Bradley. A bunch of newcomers that can't get their sh** straight with the returners and a crappy season happens.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mathewson10 » April 11th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Red wrote:
Redbird Recon wrote:Our top targets are collectively better than our departures.

Lofton is a big loss and Zeisloft is too really. I don't see anyone stepping in and contributing right away what they were giving us.

Looks like DeVaughn Purcell is already better than Zeisloft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He3vuZetijM
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 11th, 2014, 2:10 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:That sounds like what some people were saying last year about the team. Whole bunch of new guys. Never played together before. There is no way they can mold together. Predicted to be last or 2nd to last in the conference. Hmmm

Of course, ISU could turn into Bradley. A bunch of newcomers that can't get their sh** straight with the returners and a crappy season happens.

Muller has devised a solution to this problem: Don't have returners.

Zing!
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 11th, 2014, 2:12 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
Red wrote:

Looks like DeVaughn Purcell is already better than Zeisloft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He3vuZetijM

Ahh, so a two-minute Youtube highlight video is how you do player evaluations?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » April 11th, 2014, 2:15 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:

Just think some ppl forget history a little too easily....
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mathewson10 » April 11th, 2014, 2:28 pm

Red wrote:
Ahh, so a two-minute Youtube highlight video is how you do player evaluations?

2 seasons of Zeisloft evaluations v. 2 minutes of video evaluation.... I think it is blatantly obvious that Purcell is a lot more athletic than Zeisloft. Purcell looks like a better finisher around the rim. Also, looks like Purcell will be able to draw some fouls. Zeisloft only shot 30 Fts & he was a starter. Purcell looks like he will definitely be attacking the basket more & getting the other team in foul trouble. Maybe he can't shoot 3pt like Zeisloft. But I would imagine he is more explosive & will be a better rebounder. Don't get me wrong. Zeisloft was great at boxing out, especially going against larger opponents most of the time. That basic fundamental is a key but it also helps in the rebounding battle if you can out jump ppl at times too. ;)
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 11th, 2014, 2:50 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Alright then, Captain History Buff. Would you care to remind us where IlSU was picked to finish in the league before the 2012-2013 season? I'l give you a hint, they had the same number of 1st place votes as their preseason pick.

Just sayin'.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » April 11th, 2014, 3:24 pm

And with a 1st year coach & no point guard they were able to make it to the semi final game of the MVC tourney losing only to a team that made it to the final four. What's your point? Was ISU over hyped? Yeah, they lost their coach & the one player that made the team work. Ppl overhyped them because of their NIT performance the previous season. I don't get to vote on the rankings. I knew we weren't going to be as good without Nic Moore.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 11th, 2014, 3:42 pm

mathewson10 wrote:And with a 1st year coach & no point guard they were able to make it to the semi final game of the MVC tourney losing only to a team that made it to the final four. What's your point? Was ISU over hyped? Yeah, they lost their coach & the one player that made the team work. Ppl overhyped them because of their NIT performance the previous season. I don't get to vote on the rankings. I knew we weren't going to be as good without Nic Moore.

The point is that the IlSU program is completely unstable, and predicting where they will finish in the league is like a blindfolded monkey throwing a dart. The point is that you're trying to pull a "history" card and pretend everyone were fools to predict IlSU to finish at the bottom of the league last year, when in reality IlSU made them look just as foolish by picking them at the top of the league in 2013.

There is no trend for IlSU. The 2013 team was undoubtedly more talented than the 2014 team, but performed worse (though the league records are incomparable, as the 2013 team would've beat the crap out of the 2014 team). The 2013 team underpeformed because they lost key players from the previous season? And it isn't reasonable for folks to think that won't happen with the 2015 team?

Made it to the semi final game of the MVC tourney? Seriously? So, they won 1 game, and then got blown out? That's what you're going with?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » April 14th, 2014, 12:39 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

What history do you speak of?
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball