ESPN: Ron Baker will return to Wichita St

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: ESPN: Ron Baker will return to Wichita St

Postby mathewson10 » April 23rd, 2014, 3:03 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:
Play Angry wrote:You're right. 0% chance Cleanthony Early gets drafted either.

Obviously, Early will get drafted. I was basing my information off of the current NBA rosters. But your 0% is relevant. 0.6% = the MVC representation NBA (That number includes Early)

How many NBA roster spots are filled with guys that played for Top 5 college teams?

One of these days folks will realize that conferences don't win you anything.

I would safely go out on a limb & say that there are more top-conference players drafted than other. As I stated before, there are always outliers but when it comes down to it top conferences normally get players that are more likely to go pro. Example: Last year there were only 3 players from a non-bcs school that were drafted in the 1st round.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Play Angry » April 23rd, 2014, 10:28 pm

So Baker definitely won't get drafted ("muahahaha" at anyone who thinks he will, right) because MVC players can only hope to, at best, play in Europe.

But Cleanthony Early doesn't count and will of course get drafted.

Okay gotcha thanks.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » April 23rd, 2014, 11:19 pm

mathewson10 wrote:

Obviously, Early will get drafted. I was basing my information off of the current NBA rosters. But your 0% is relevant. 0.6% = the MVC representation NBA (That number includes Early)

:roll:

With Cleanthony Early drafted, there will be three current NBA players from WSU.

Baker might not get drafted (although I think the percentage is far higher than he will), but it won't be because he's from the MVC. Just as McDermott being drafted won't have anything to do with him playing one season in the Big East. If your argument is that he wouldn't have been drafted if Creighton hadn't moved, that just makes you an idiot.

If you're just using "a basic statistical analysis using probability," the probability for current WSU players to be drafted in the future would be based on the probability of players on undefeated, Final Four, and top five teams to be drafted, not based on the MVC. That's a disingenuous probability to use. The current WSU program's comparable peers are VCU and Butler in the last few years, UNLV in the early 90s, Saint Mary's off their undefeated run, etc., not Evansville in the 2000s.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » April 24th, 2014, 1:06 pm

rlh04d wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:

:roll:

With Cleanthony Early drafted, there will be three current NBA players from WSU.

Baker might not get drafted (although I think the percentage is far higher than he will), but it won't be because he's from the MVC. Just as McDermott being drafted won't have anything to do with him playing one season in the Big East. If your argument is that he wouldn't have been drafted if Creighton hadn't moved, that just makes you an idiot.

If you're just using "a basic statistical analysis using probability," the probability for current WSU players to be drafted in the future would be based on the probability of players on undefeated, Final Four, and top five teams to be drafted, not based on the MVC. That's a disingenuous probability to use. The current WSU program's comparable peers are VCU and Butler in the last few years, UNLV in the early 90s, Saint Mary's off their undefeated run, etc., not Evansville in the 2000s.

1. I already stated there will be 3 MVC players in the NBA. Next time, make sure to cite your source. ;) MLA Style please.

2. Name calling is not allowed on the message board but since you obviously weren't talking about me since you just made up a random "IF... THEN" statement. I'll let it slide. Friendly reminder: Name calling is sometimes thought to be a sign of insecurity.

3. As mentioned before, I think it is great that WSU has had success & has represented the MVC well but that does not always equal NBA draftees. George Mason made a final four run & yet no NBA draftees. Going undefeated in a season is an amazing feat that is rare. Not to diminish what WSU did but having the 98th SOS & be in a conference with the 11th ranked conference RPI does not scream out NBA player producing program. Also, they did not actually go undefeated because they did lose a game... in the 2nd round of the tourney. I know it was against Kentucky but still it was the 2nd round.

4. I just think its a little premature to be talking NBA with Baker. I've seen the kid play I'm definitely impressed but there have been other stars in the conference that I have seen come & go & not ever see a minute of NBA ball. It just really shouldn't have been a headline that he is coming back.

Cheers to you & the lively debate!! :Cheers:
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 24th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Apparently all the blabbering about conference superiority really does work on some people. That's a shame.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » April 24th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Apparently all the blabbering about conference superiority really does work on some people. That's a shame.

Sooooo....no conference is better than another? Explain.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 24th, 2014, 1:22 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Apparently all the blabbering about conference superiority really does work on some people. That's a shame.

Conference affiliation has nothing to do with NBA potential, a player's skill does.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » April 24th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:

Conference affiliation has nothing to do with NBA potential, a player's skill does.

True... but there are a higher percentage of players with skill in higher ranked conferences.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 24th, 2014, 1:43 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:

True... but there are a higher percentage of players with skill in higher ranked conferences.

Or perhaps those conferences are ranked higher due to the higher percentage of skilled players on teams in said conferences.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » April 24th, 2014, 1:47 pm

Cdizzle wrote:Or perhaps those conferences are ranked higher due to the higher percentage of skilled players on teams in said conferences.

:Cheers:
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball