ESPN: Ron Baker will return to Wichita St

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » April 4th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Jeff Goodman reporting that Baker sent in an NBA evaluation form and has decided to return to Wichita State for his junior season. He stated that Baker was expected to be a 2nd round pick this season.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ESPN: Ron Baker will return to Wichita St

Postby agrinut » April 4th, 2014, 1:51 pm

MVCfans wrote:Jeff Goodman reporting that Baker sent in an NBA evaluation form and has decided to return to Wichita State for his junior season. He stated that Baker was expected to be a 2nd round pick this season.

Not shocked that he was evaluated or decided to stay. Be interesting to see if this decision paid off.
agrinut
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » April 4th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Baker will be a redshirt Junior next year, so he should have a chance to pick up his degree and test the draft waters again.

From a performance perspective, he also has two things going for him next year....The chance to be the "feature" scorer on a good team, and a draft class that isn't insanely loaded.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby cufan_mvcfan » April 4th, 2014, 6:30 pm

saw this when i was lurking to see any news on MVC recruiting classes (still have strong interest in the valley).

I just thought i would chime in because a lot of the Creighton fanbase became educated after Doug's sophomore year. Doug later admitted he never even considered leaving at that time, but this is standard operating procedure for top 100 or so prospects. For example, Terran Petteway of Nebraska also submitted his information to the committee this year, even though he is currently projected as late second round to undrafted.

Essentially, the committee (if i remember correctly, is made up of members with close ties to the NBA, but not actual team representatives) gives an educated range on where you are to be drafted. For example, Doug got something like 10% believed fringe first round pick, 45% middle second round pick, and 45% late 2nd round to undrafted (Greg revealed this at a fundraiser event more than a year later).

This is essentially the only way a prospect can "test the waters" these days due to a change in the NCAA rules recently outside of the head coach making phone calls to his own connections. In prior years, a prospect could participate in workouts without an agent and retain eligibility. This allowed for direct feedback from teams based on workouts. However, the new NCAA deadlines effectively make that impossible.

Lastly, the general rule of thumb is prospects stay in school until they are very confident they will be a first round pick. Obviously, there are exceptions.

I just share this because I expect Ron is in a very similar boat to Doug at the end of his sophomore year in regards to where they fall on draft boards. I wish Ron the best, I love his game. His problem will be his height, so I think he will have to convert to point guard. It is the exact problem Doug has. A "tweener" stuck in between two different positions.
cufan_mvcfan
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » April 4th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Baker is projected as a PG at the next level. He is capable, but needs some work.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShockValue » April 5th, 2014, 8:30 am

Wufan wrote:Baker is projected as a PG at the next level. He is capable, but needs some work.

He's got ideal size for an NBA PG, but unless something happen to FVV, Ron won't get any time playing PG in college which could be an issue as far as someone drafting him.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » April 5th, 2014, 9:05 am

ShockValue wrote:
Wufan wrote:Baker is projected as a PG at the next level. He is capable, but needs some work.

He's got ideal size for an NBA PG, but unless something happen to FVV, Ron won't get any time playing PG in college which could be an issue as far as someone drafting him.

I disagree. Ron will likely never be the primary PG with FVV having a stranglehold on that role. But he'll likely get plenty of opportunity to slide into the PG role in a backup capacity. I could even see Marshall letting Ron play a little more PG to enhance Ron's draft stock as long as it doesn't cost WSU any games.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » April 5th, 2014, 7:01 pm

glm38 wrote:
ShockValue wrote:

I disagree. Ron will likely never be the primary PG with FVV having a stranglehold on that role. But he'll likely get plenty of opportunity to slide into the PG role in a backup capacity. I could even see Marshall letting Ron play a little more PG to enhance Ron's draft stock as long as it doesn't cost WSU any games.

He did a lot this year. I'd imagine they'll continue to share the role somewhat going forward.

Even when FVV is on the court, they swap sometimes with FVV at the 2. He did the same thing last year with FVV playing the 1 and 2 with Malcolm on the court.

Baker will get opportunities to build his PG skills. He was already one of the most efficient guys in A:TO this year in the Valley.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockem » April 6th, 2014, 7:33 am

I can actually see Baker's PG minutes go down next year. HCGM may want to start grooming Corey Henderson and we're going to need Baker's shooting with Cle gone.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » April 11th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Baker seems like a good kid and he's a fine representative of the Valley, but I've never watched him play and said "wow, he looks like an NBA player".
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball