ESPN: Ron Baker will return to Wichita St

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: ESPN: Ron Baker will return to Wichita St

Postby rlh04d » April 18th, 2014, 11:12 pm

Red wrote:Baker seems like a good kid and he's a fine representative of the Valley, but I've never watched him play and said "wow, he looks like an NBA player".

I have a feeling you'll have a lot of opportunities to say that next year with him as the best scoring option ;)

Depends on how good he gets at the point moving forward. And whether his perimeter game continues to improve. I have little doubt he'll be drafted at the end of his time at WSU if he stays healthy, but there's a pretty huge range he could be drafted in depending on his progression.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mvcfan » April 19th, 2014, 5:46 am

Compare him to a Kirk Hinrich type of player who has hung onto the NBA for a lot of years. They are good athletes although not great athletes. They are really good shooters who can also drive the basketball and have a nice mid range game. I predict that Baker will get his 3pt. Shooting % to 40-45% this year and FT % to close to 90%. His BB IQ is extremely high. He plays very good defense. His team comes first and all he does is WIN. He makes few turn overs, and handles the ball nicely. While he won't be a star, theses attributes make for a 10 year NBA career.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » April 19th, 2014, 8:49 pm

Baker struck me as an NBA caliber player beginning in the tournament last year and throughout this year. Good shooter with NBA range, good ball handler, physically strong, smart, etc. There really aren't any weaknesses in his game.

I thought there were several times this year when he took over the game on offense when he needed to. I remember one game (maybe at SLU?) where he looked pretty unstoppable. I agree that I think we'll see more of that this year.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » April 22nd, 2014, 1:31 pm

nm
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 23rd, 2014, 7:05 am

Baker is far more of an NBA type player than McDermott
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » April 23rd, 2014, 7:16 am

uniftw wrote:Baker is far more of an NBA type player than McDermott

muahahaha you guys crack me up! You realize he will be playing in Europe like the rest of the former MVC players, right? There are only 2 players in the whole NBA that are from the MVC & they both avg. less than 9 minutes a game.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Play Angry » April 23rd, 2014, 8:22 am

You're right. 0% chance Cleanthony Early gets drafted either.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mathewson10 » April 23rd, 2014, 9:09 am

Play Angry wrote:You're right. 0% chance Cleanthony Early gets drafted either.

Obviously, Early will get drafted. I was basing my information off of the current NBA rosters. But your 0% is relevant. 0.6% = the MVC representation NBA (That number includes Early)
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » April 23rd, 2014, 11:51 am

mathewson10 wrote:

Obviously, Early will get drafted. I was basing my information off of the current NBA rosters. But your 0% is relevant. 0.6% = the MVC representation NBA (That number includes Early)

No one is saying there are scads of MVC players that are going to get drafted. You are correct in that that hasn't been the case in the past.

But this recent WSU team is different. That team made the F4 and was UNDEFEATED the next year in the regular season. It just follows that there is a good possibility of several NBA caliber players on a team like that. Early and Baker are those players IMO.

No one is guaranteeing Baker gets drafted just that he has a good shot at it.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » April 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm

mathewson10 wrote:

wtf does conference affiliation have to do with a player playing in the NBA? How many SoCon players were in the NBA when Stephen Curry was drafted?
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball