BU Departures

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

BU Departures

Postby tribecalledquest » April 9th, 2014, 11:06 am

Freshman guards Stefan Zecevic and Jordan Swopshire will be leaving Bradley.

Zecevic played great in the summer trip to the Bahamas but struggled to translate that once the games started. The language barrier really hurt him. Good kid. Will probably go JUCO to try and play some.

Swopshire came in highly touted. He had a few nice games. He can shoot it and has ability. However he did not work hard and had really bad off-court habits. He might be a steal for someone. I don't know but he really has to clean a lot of things up.

After the commitment yesterday Bradley has three remaining rides to give this spring. I would expect a JUCO wing player, a post player (they hope Josh Cunningham), then maybe a backup PG or C with the final ride.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

BU Departures

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: BU Departures

Postby mathewson10 » April 9th, 2014, 11:34 am

tribecalledquest wrote:Freshman guards Stefan Zecevic and Jordan Swopshire will be leaving Bradley.

Zecevic played great in the summer trip to the Bahamas but struggled to translate that once the games started. The language barrier really hurt him. Good kid. Will probably go JUCO to try and play some.

Swopshire came in highly touted. He had a few nice games. He can shoot it and has ability. However he did not work hard and had really bad off-court habits. He might be a steal for someone. I don't know but he really has to clean a lot of things up.

After the commitment yesterday Bradley has three remaining rides to give this spring. I would expect a JUCO wing player, a post player (they hope Josh Cunningham), then maybe a backup PG or C with the final ride.

I don't believe this is so but according to others who post on this forum: if someone transfers from your school 1)your coach is horrible 2)your program is in deep trouble 3) doesn't matter how good or bad they are or what reason they are leaving

I wish you good luck on your opportunity in signing new players that fit your teams system.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » April 9th, 2014, 11:40 am

Turnover happens. One or two guys moving on every year is getting to be a pretty normal thing. Players want to play. If the writing is on the wall that playing time isn't going to be there, I understand a player wanting to transfer to a school where they can keep playing the game they love.

There is a difference between 1 or 2 guys moving on every year or every couple years, and losing 4-5 guys a year. You've moved way beyond playing time and playing style misfits at that point, and you're into culture issues.

Also, I do not know if you want to point to the current state of Bradley's program as something you would want your program to look like anyway, no offense meant to Bradley.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » April 9th, 2014, 11:44 am

mathewson10 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:Freshman guards Stefan Zecevic and Jordan Swopshire will be leaving Bradley.

I don't believe this is so but according to others who post on this forum: if someone transfers from your school 1)your coach is horrible 2)your program is in deep trouble 3) doesn't matter how good or bad they are or what reason they are leaving

I wish you good luck on your opportunity in signing new players that fit your teams system.

One transfer a year is an anomaly. Three or more in one year is a big concern. Three or more on consecutive years is the beginning of a bad trend. Good Luck to you.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby squirrel » April 9th, 2014, 12:00 pm

Geno is still trying to build a roster with 13 DI-level players. I think it is fair to question his recruiting strategy at this point. But it is also too early to definitively measure the impact of bringing in assistant Chin Coleman last year for recruiting.

Another opportunity presents itself with Greg Graham heading to the Washington State bench.

Of Geno's first year players his year 1, 80% of them are gone. Only Wells remains. Wells was a Les fall commit though. OTOH, Shayok probably could have helped Bradley a lot this year.

The staff got burned on Fields, an ACC transfer, and Grier was supposed to be a high % 3-point shooter, and turned into a disappointment this season. But the best shooters sometimes have bad years. Hopefully next year will be a different story.

I think it is fair to allow Geno to continue to overhaul his roster. If we're in need of moving 2-3 players next year though, chances we're probably going in a different direction anyway.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » April 9th, 2014, 12:03 pm

mathewson10 wrote:

You know, since Bradley has already been marred by multiple transfers (including starting players) and various incidents of criminal behavior/questionable conduct by their players. Completely comparable situations, Coach Muller.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bcg » April 9th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Swopshire looked lost on both ends of the floor when he did get in the game. Other players on the floor had to point out where he should be.

I'm sad to see Zecevic go. He was never going to be all-conference, but I was interested to see his development.

Geno hasn't done well with his high school recruits.
bcg
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » April 9th, 2014, 12:32 pm

bcg wrote:Swopshire looked lost on both ends of the floor when he did get in the game. Other players on the floor had to point out where he should be.

I'm sad to see Zecevic go. He was never going to be all-conference, but I was interested to see his development.

Geno hasn't done well with his high school recruits.

Good points BCG.

It isn't good when 2/3 of the freshmen you brought in last year are now gone. The recruiting has to get better at Bradley. Geno has done a pretty solid job with JUCO's/transfers but outside of Xzavier Taylor has struck out on HS/Prep kids.

That has to change in the next year or two or else he won't be at Bradley.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mathewson10 » April 9th, 2014, 12:39 pm

mvcfan wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:

One transfer a year is an anomaly. Three or more in one year is a big concern. Three or more on consecutive years is the beginning of a bad trend. Good Luck to you.

New coaches clean house all the time. Only two of Mueller's recruits have transferred. So seems like he fits the trend.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby mathewson10 » April 9th, 2014, 12:47 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
mathewson10 wrote:

You know, since Bradley has already been marred by multiple transfers (including starting players) and various incidents of criminal behavior/questionable conduct by their players. Completely comparable situations, Coach Muller.

1)What starters do you speak of?
2)If one player gets in trouble, the program is damned?
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball