Missouri State to Sun Belt Conference?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby uniftw » April 9th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Very early..and very speculative...but...It's not a secret that MSU wants the FBS pretty bad. They are doing a major overhaul to their football stadium.

Rumors of SBC have been heating up the last week or two...and then this

https://twitter.com/BrentThibodeaux/sta ... 3185609728
Sources have told me the #SunBelt 12th school hopefuls are in this order. First #JMU followed by #MissouriState & #Liberty in a distant 3rd.

Success in the FCS doesn't really seam to matter anymore - the guy who posted it is a Texas State fan, TSU was a bad to average in a good year FCS team.

JMU has said over and over and over they have zero interest in the SBC.

So, lets pretend that MSU takes off.

What does the MVC do?

Do they replace MSU with another public football, do they go for another private?
How strong of a push towards SLU/Dayton gets made? (Dayton holding out for BE, but Xavier has made it clear they want no part of UD in their conference again)
NMSU is a SBC football only member...is a push made for them? Would they be a stable MVC member?
Does this push WSU towards accepting any invite they get?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MSU to the SBC?

Postby Ricardo del Rio » April 9th, 2014, 6:45 pm

I have zero inside information, but given the current plight of the conference along with a move by MSU, I am sure that WSU will be looking for opportunities to leave the Valley. Perhaps any opportunity.

The Valley is in a sad state of affairs. I wonder, if the Valley can save itself from itself. We will see. The rescue must come from each existing member.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » April 9th, 2014, 7:59 pm

I've argued in the past that the MVC needs to be proactive in realignment rather than just allowing itself to get picked apart. I think the Dakotas are part of any long term strategy, plus Oral Roberts and maybe Valpo.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheAsianSensation » April 9th, 2014, 9:17 pm

I think we have to press on Dayton and St Louis, and as part of any deal agree to waive any exit fees if they get into the Big East in a couple years. It's worth the gamble. And I don't even think that'll work after a season where they parked 6 teams in the tournament.

Also worth talking to New Mexico St again, ask them how much WAC conference play hurt their profile this season.

Fact is, the MVC ran out of time to be proactive. There's nothing but scraps left on the table. The options aren't great, and they haven't changed since last year.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby AndShock » April 9th, 2014, 11:40 pm

0% chance that Valley schools approve NMSU.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » April 9th, 2014, 11:56 pm

I read that MOST doesn't want to go all in and just want to go for football only. Therefore this opportunity will slide by.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » April 10th, 2014, 11:41 am

Snaggletooth wrote:I read that MOST doesn't want to go all in and just want to go for football only. Therefore this opportunity will slide by.

Doubtful. Other than a few fans asking if it is possible, I have yet to actually see that scenario "out there".

The going scenario right now is tied to the fact that Idaho's membership is up for evaluation every 2 years. Some are believing (even those outside of MSU) that we can buy some additional time in that we move everything except football next year and we will be admitted after the next 2 year cycle is up for Idaho.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » April 10th, 2014, 12:17 pm

I am not going to say done deal yet but it is pretty close. With realignment unexpected stuff happens last minute (see Banowsky's last second change of heart a couple of years ago). I have more mixed emotions than I thought I would have. This has been a good home for us.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Kip Dynamite » April 10th, 2014, 12:55 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that MSU recieved and offer and is in active talks with the Sunbelt, and there is equally no doubt in my mind that we are getting our facilities in line with making such a move.
However, I'm still not completely convinced that we will punch our ticket with that conference.

We may end up there but I still believe we are holding out hope for some movement that might get us into CUSA. If they were to offer, we would be gone.

You can click here to check out the live webcam of 2 of the 4 new facilites being built right now.
http://www.missouristatebears.com/facil ... ction.html
Kip Dynamite
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TheDrake » April 10th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Are Missouri State basketball fans excited about this?

Arkansas Little-Rock, Louisiana Lafayette, South Alabama?
TheDrake
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball