Dana Ford to Tennessee State?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby DUBulldog » April 13th, 2014, 10:26 am

Just saw something on twitter that Illinois State AC Dana Ford is the new head coach at Tennessee State. If true, huge loss for ISU's recruiting efforts.

Edit: Now there are rumblings on Twitter that this is not a done deal.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Dana Ford to Tennessee State?

Postby AndShock » April 13th, 2014, 11:26 am

He's probably tired of getting beat up by Wichita State. Or he's tired of everyone he recruits leaving after a few months. Take your pick.

Sounds like a done deal. Tennessee State is a very hard place to win and they were one of the worst teams in D1 last year. John Cooper showed that it's at least possible to win there though.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » April 13th, 2014, 1:51 pm

One thing is certain. He is not a candidate for the Associate Head Coaching job at WSU. He burned that bridge.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » April 13th, 2014, 6:42 pm

iSASO wrote:One thing is certain. He is not a candidate for the Associate Head Coaching job at WSU. He burned that bridge.

might be a little awkward if checking references of coaches he has worked for.

Q. Coach Marshall I hear Dana Ford worked for you - what would you say about him?

A. He is not a man of his word

I suspect Coach Marshall (who belongs to the elite coaching fraternity) opinion will be more respected than the ISUR Warden opinion.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » April 13th, 2014, 8:10 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
iSASO wrote:One thing is certain. He is not a candidate for the Associate Head Coaching job at WSU. He burned that bridge.

might be a little awkward if checking references of coaches he has worked for.

Q. Coach Marshall I hear Dana Ford worked for you - what would you say about him?

I suspect Coach Marshall (who belongs to the elite coaching fraternity) opinion will be more respected than the ISUR Warden opinion.

I would think Marshall would take a little bit of a high road...but that bridge is MIGHTY charred.

As much as I want to "hate" Marshall for being...well...Marshall I simply can't. Well, I can to a certain extent but it's not very much.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » April 13th, 2014, 8:18 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:Q. Coach Marshall I hear Dana Ford worked for you - what would you say about him?

Referring to Ford only staying in Wichita for one season, or something more?
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby iSASO » April 13th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Yes. Marshall simply asks for a two-year commitment and hard work. I wonder how he views his decision in hindsight.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mvcfan » April 13th, 2014, 11:17 pm

pafan wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:Q. Coach Marshall I hear Dana Ford worked for you - what would you say about him?

Referring to Ford only staying in Wichita for one season, or something more?

I don't want to speak for someone else but yes in addition to Ford only staying in Wichita for one season, he gave the Head Coach his word that he would stay for two years just so he would be hired as an Asst. Coach at Wichita State even though he wasn't serious about his statement.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » April 18th, 2014, 7:09 am

you can't blame a young guy for chasing money and "opportunity", but it does show some immaturity to not think of the long term impact of short term decisions. Ford is a head coach now, but is he really ready? I don't see that he's really proved anything yet. He seems to be the type of guy to keep jumping in order to stay one step ahead of his true abilities.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » April 18th, 2014, 8:16 am

shockem wrote:you can't blame a young guy for chasing money and "opportunity", but it does show some immaturity to not think of the long term impact of short term decisions. Ford is a head coach now, but is he really ready? I don't see that he's really proved anything yet. He seems to be the type of guy to keep jumping in order to stay one step ahead of his true abilities.

Do you have a link? I can't find anything regarding Tennessee State hiring anyone yet. Last I had seen, everyone thought Ford was probably their second option.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball