Will Tennessee come calling WSU?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Will Tennessee come calling WSU?

Postby Shockerfan13 » April 16th, 2014, 7:58 am

They will call and probably already have . But that is where it ends IMO. There are 2 reasons Marshall would leave:

1 - He is no longer happy at Wichita St
2 - the offer is the chance of a lifetime

All indications are he is plenty happy here still. Tennessee isn't the chcance of a lifetime. At this point I feel the list of schools he would leave for has shrunk considerably. Pretty much only blue blood type jobs. He is in a position to be extremely picky. Good spot to be in for both him and WSU.

Honestly I am keeping my eye on Indiana. I am pulling for Crean lol.

Plus the team he has coming back yet again makes his job pretty easy right now.
Shockerfan13
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoAcesgo » April 16th, 2014, 9:46 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2030 ... n-position

If I had a choice 1. between living in Wichita, KA and Knoxville 2. SEC vs. MVC 3. National exposure the choice would be easy, I say it will be him or Miller.
GoAcesgo
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » April 16th, 2014, 9:52 am

GoAcesgo wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2030693-tennessee-vols-head-coach-search-latest-updates-and-rumors-on-open-position#articles/2030693-tennessee-vols-head-coach-search-latest-updates-and-rumors-on-open-position

If I had a choice 1. between living in Wichita, KA and Knoxville 2. SEC vs. MVC 3. National exposure the choice would be easy, I say it will be him or Miller.

Have you lived in Wichita and Knoxville?

The SEC is a step up, but also has drawbacks, like being 2nd or 3rd fiddle to football, spring football, and baseball. The SEC is also not necessary for Marshall to receive any seed in the NCAA tournament, which is a big factor. The SEC also breeds fanbases that are unrealistic, and scoff at impressive accomplishments, like S16 appearances.

Is WSU really struggling for national exposure? Doesn't seem like it. They have been on the front page of every major sports site for the better part of 18 months.

I say this not to point out that there is no way Marshall will go to Tennessee, just to point out that you have no idea what you are talking about.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GoAcesgo » April 16th, 2014, 10:41 am

Cdizzle wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2030693-tennessee-vols-head-coach-search-latest-updates-and-rumors-on-open-position#articles/2030693-tennessee-vols-head-coach-search-latest-updates-and-rumors-on-open-position

The SEC is a step up, but also has drawbacks, like being 2nd or 3rd fiddle to football, spring football, and baseball. The SEC is also not necessary for Marshall to receive any seed in the NCAA tournament, which is a big factor. The SEC also breeds fanbases that are unrealistic, and scoff at impressive accomplishments, like S16 appearances.

Is WSU really struggling for national exposure? Doesn't seem like it. They have been on the front page of every major sports site for the better part of 18 months.

I say this not to point out that there is no way Marshall will go to Tennessee, just to point out that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Never lived in Wichita or Knoxville but have visited both, WSu has national exposure because of the last 2 years, but if you don't think there is more national exposure in coaching MVC than in a BCS conf. then your blinded, the last time I checked they have a better TV contract than the MVC, and I think this is a message board for people like me and you to share our opinion and on my opinion I do know what I am talking about, since you know so much, who will be the next Volunteers coach?
GoAcesgo
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shocktheheart » April 16th, 2014, 10:42 am

GoAcesgo wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Never lived in Wichita or Knoxville but have visited both, WSu has national exposure because of the last 2 years, but if you don't think there is more national exposure in coaching MVC than in a BCS conf. then your blinded, the last time I checked they have a better TV contract than the MVC, and I think this is a message board for people like me and you to share our opinion and on my opinion I do know what I am talking about, since you know so much, who will be the next Volunteers coach?

Holy run on sentence!
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » April 16th, 2014, 10:48 am

GoAcesgo wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Just because it is more exposure doesn't mean it is a better job. You do realize the fan base ran Martin out of that job after having just a slightly worse record than Pearl? You do realize that Martin and Marshall obviously have a relationship since they coached against each other in the MVC and have played each other the last two years right? If Marshall is interested in the job, who would be the first person he would call about the stability and fan base at TN? Martin made less than Marshall did last year at that BCS job. Marshall has two kids in high school and has already turned down other BCS jobs that are at TN's level or above. Marshall has said he isn't going to "mess with happy" unless it is a perfect situation. So why do you think now he would leave WSU for a TN athletic department who can't keep a football or basketball coach the last five years? Do you see TN as being a perfect situation? I think if and when Marshall leaves it will be for a "blue blood" type job that he can compete for a national championship every year and basketball is king over football. TN isn't this situation.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » April 16th, 2014, 10:54 am

GoAcesgo wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

That's exactly the point. WSU has immense national exposure because WSU has been successful. Marshall built that success, and the program has the looks of continued success so long as he stays around to maintain what he built. Marshall doesn't need a conference to give him exposure, he's built national exposure at WSU based on performance. Most of the national exposure of the Tennessee athletic department the past several years has been focused on the size of the mess.

I didn't claim to know who the next coach will be. I do not think it will be from the list of candidates that most at Tennessee seem to think they are after (Marshall, Smart). Their program has created a toxic situation of unrealistic expectations, comparisons, and backlash; yet they still think they are a destination job for coaches that have done way more on their own than has been done in the history of the Tenn. program. Most of them want to get Pearl back, even though his success was based on cheating, and that cheating pile-drove the program into the ground.

If Tennessee hires someone from WSU to be their coach, I think it is more likely to be Forbes than Marshall.

No offense to the rest of the Valley, but I think people need to start looking at the WSU program as more than a stepping-stone job. This isn't a job where the coach is making 400k-900k, and needs to jump at the first BCS offer so he doesn't miss out on a payday. WSU is paying as much or more than most of the mid-tier BCS jobs that people keep claiming as a "step up" for Marshall. I'm not advocating that WSU is some Top 10, destination job, not at all. But it isn't below that next tier of jobs, including the mid-tier to good BCS jobs.
Last edited by Cdizzle on April 16th, 2014, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby GoAcesgo » April 16th, 2014, 11:02 am

Just because it is more exposure doesn't mean it is a better job. You do realize the fan base ran Martin out of that job after having just a slightly worse record than Pearl? You do realize that Martin and Marshall obviously have a relationship since they coached against each other in the MVC and have played each other the last two years right? If Marshall is interested in the job, who would be the first person he would call about the stability and fan base at TN? Martin made less than Marshall did last year at that BCS job. Marshall has two kids in high school and has already turned down other BCS jobs that are at TN's level or above. Marshall has said he isn't going to "mess with happy" unless it is a perfect situation. So why do you think now he would leave WSU for a TN athletic department who can't keep a football or basketball coach the last five years? Do you see TN as being a perfect situation? I think if and when Marshall leaves it will be for a "blue blood" type job that he can compete for a national championship every year and basketball is king over football. TN isn't this situation.[/quote] You make some valid points
GoAcesgo
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby GoAcesgo » April 16th, 2014, 11:10 am

If Tennessee hires someone from WSU to be their coach, I think it is more likely to be Forbes than Marshall.

So you tell me I don't know what I am talking about, you think they might hire an asst. coach, only 1 asst. coach in recent history has ever been hired by an SEC team, I would say that's a slim chance.
GoAcesgo
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » April 16th, 2014, 11:16 am

GoAcesgo wrote:If Tennessee hires someone from WSU to be their coach, I think it is more likely to be Forbes than Marshall.

So you tell me I don't know what I am talking about, you think they might hire an asst. coach, only 1 asst. coach in recent history has ever been hired by an SEC team, I would say that's a slim chance.

Re-read, slowly. You regurgitated my point, but still managed to miss it. The chances of Tennessee hiring Forbes is next to nothing. The chances of Tennessee hiring Marshall is below that.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball