2014-15 All-MVC predictions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2014-15 All-MVC predictions

Postby BEARZ77 » June 9th, 2014, 11:55 am

BUFANATIC79 wrote:I don't expect to see any Braves on the lists this year. I believe we will be a very balanced scoring team. I think Barnes can do more this year, he might have declined to Lemon some last year. Also excited to see judo PG Tramique Sutherland. He's a true point guard, and scored over twenty points per game. Excited to see how that translates

Yeah, I was always impressed with Barnes and wondered why he didn't do more.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » June 9th, 2014, 12:12 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:mvcfan, you miss the point; it's a very rare year a team gets 3 1st team All MVC players. It has little to do with who's best, but who has the statistical year to make the case or as last year, does a team run away with everything. Baker's stats weren't as good as several players last year and I doubt they are this year. I think both Beane and Marshall will have to carry their teams, while I think VanVleet is the most sure thing. For WSU to have the kind of year they expect, a frontcourt guy will have to be very good, hence I gave a first team nod to Carter. Baker won't be any less than previous, but I don't think those stats will overcome what a few other players put up. I could have said the same for Ballentine and perhaps even Knight, but I like Beane and Marshall better. If WSU runs a way with the league again, they probably could get three again, but I don't see that happening, so despite you're need to make this all-things WSU, I'm not so encumbered.

The "stats" that you like to use as justification for putting players like Marshall on the 1st team are actually worse than Baker's, on a team winning less games, while only playing 1/3 of a season. And that doesn't even include defense, which is a strength for Baker and a weakness for Marshall. Does he seriously only have 18 steals in over 1300 career minutes, including none (seriously, ZERO, I had to double-check the stat as it seemed unbelievable) in 12 games last year? Not exactly 1st-team numbers. I'll just leave this here: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compar ... ker=career

I'm not a Marshall-hater, I think he is a very fine player; one that can help MSU compete for NCAA tournament berths. But he is not Baker. I hope both have very healthy years next year so we can really find out how they stack up over the course of a full season.

It is rare that a team gets 3 1st team All-MVC players. It's even more rare when they get 3 but deserved 4. About as rare as going 21-0 against the league and 34-0 for the season.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » June 9th, 2014, 3:53 pm

I didn't say Marshall had better stats, I said several other players did. That's what happens when you get your panties in a wad stuck over your head, you can't read. Again the whole point was that if teams like MSU/SIU or whoever have solid years, their guards will probably have very good statistical years and thus have a good shot at garnering all conference honors. That's what off season discussions are about, what if scenarios, unless of course you are too insecure to entertain them. Didn't see other teams fans crying because I conjectured WSU's Carter might be in line to win the All MVC award when he wasn't even a starter last year, because it's just conjecture, whiney ass.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » June 9th, 2014, 4:31 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:I didn't say Marshall had better stats, I said several other players did. That's what happens when you get your panties in a wad stuck over your head, you can't read. Again the whole point was that if teams like MSU/SIU or whoever have solid years, their guards will probably have very good statistical years and thus have a good shot at garnering all conference honors. That's what off season discussions are about, what if scenarios, unless of course you are too insecure to entertain them. Didn't see other teams fans crying because I conjectured WSU's Carter might be in line to win the All MVC award when he wasn't even a starter last year, because it's just conjecture, whiney ass.

^^^ Speaking of panties in a wad....

And as for reading ability, this is not the first time you've said you picked Carter for 1st-team All-MVC or in line to win the All-MVC award, yet that doesn't match what was written by, say, you.

Stats aside, I'll ask this: If you were starting a Valley team from absolute scratch for this year only, having to choose just from the players currently in the league, what 2 guard would you choose and why?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » June 9th, 2014, 5:09 pm

For this year, probably Beane; he was the best 2 guard in the conference the last half of the conference season, and probably the hardest to guard. He's got decent size, great quickness and shot the ball better than the others down the stretch. Second would be tough because Ballentine isn't as good defensively as I would want, but he's the only one who has had to operate as his teams primary target defensively by the opposition and still produced big numbers. Baker had a great noncon and early part of the year, then faded a bit but has size and can do more than Ballentine. Marshall has more to prove because one he's coming off injury, and he's not the playmaker/passer level he needs to be, but along with Beane he's probably the most able to get his shot w/o needing any help, and can be hard to keep off the foul line. I like them all and as as juniors to be, the battles are just beginning.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » June 9th, 2014, 5:14 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:For this year, probably Beane; he was the best 2 guard in the conference the last half of the conference season, and probably the hardest to guard. He's got decent size, great quickness and shot the ball better than the others down the stretch. Second would be tough because Ballentine isn't as good defensively as I would want, but he's the only one who has had to operate as his teams primary target defensively by the opposition and still produced big numbers. Baker had a great noncon and early part of the year, then faded a bit but has size and can do more than Ballentine. Marshall has more to prove because one he's coming off injury, and he's not the playmaker/passer level he needs to be, but along with Beane he's probably the most able to get his shot w/o needing any help, and can be hard to keep off the foul line. I like them all and as as juniors to be, the battles are just beginning.

No FVV? Never mind. I read the question as "two guards", not "2 guard." Screw it! I'd take Fred anyway!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShocksF4 » June 9th, 2014, 5:31 pm

You guys have to also remember last years pre season all valley team was made up of 7 players instead of 5. I'm not sure if they are going to continue to do that, but it's a thought
ShocksF4
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BEARZ77 » June 9th, 2014, 5:50 pm

No argument about pg and FVV, Wufan. But 2 guard is pretty wide open and talent filled; I think a point can be made for a number of guys, and there are more on the way. I didn't even hardly mention Doyle or Knight and if Lusk plays him as a 2 guard, I can't wait to see the development of Kendrix in the next couple years. Needs a more consistent stroke, but athletically he is exceptional and can make plays across the board and fill a stat sheet. And I'm sure there are a number of others just like him spread among Valley teams.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » June 9th, 2014, 5:58 pm

I'd take Baker as my 2 guard if I was starting a team. But Marshall and Beane are fine choices too. Not sure why anyone would criticize Bearz for picking Marshall. He's a fine player and he ( Bearz) is a Bears fan after all. Everyone makes homer picks whether they want to admit it or not. I just happen to love Bakers game or as a Bears fan I'd probably pick Marshall too.

And Marshall might not be much in the steals dept but he's not a poor defender. Lusk stated several times last year he was our best perimeter defender. He's quick and works hard on defense. And he definitely improved his strength last year before the injury.

The Shox have the best backcourt with Baker and FVV but IMO Marshall and Ruder are #2 and have the potential to really elevate the Bears the next couple of years.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » June 9th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Marshall and Ruder are as good as anyone when it comes to shooting
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball