2014-15 All-MVC predictions

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby MVCfans » June 8th, 2014, 5:50 am

Pretty quiet time so I thought we might as well start looking forward to next season a little bit. In theory, the preseason first team should be pretty easy with 4 returning All-MVC players: VanVleet, Baker, Balentine, Tuttle. Who is the 5th? Who are the next 5?
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 2014-15 All-MVC predictions

Postby Wufan » June 8th, 2014, 7:08 am

MVCfans wrote:Pretty quiet time so I thought we might as well start looking forward to next season a little bit. In theory, the preseason first team should be pretty easy with 4 returning All-MVC players: VanVleet, Baker, Balentine, Tuttle. Who is the 5th? Who are the next 5?

It will be hard for the Shockers to again get three first teamers, but Cotton is going to be right there. I also like Doyle and Beane, but unless they put up Balentine-like stats, or their team pushes for a title, I would vote them to the second team. Mock of Evansville is in an even more difficult place as he would have to be the second Ace on the first team. Any of those four could be on the preseason All-Valley team.

Marshall at MSU is the most likely for post-season first team IMO.

Baker or VanVleet for post season POY.

Edit: Changed Pendleton to Beane.
Last edited by Wufan on June 8th, 2014, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » June 8th, 2014, 8:09 am

I think there will be some differences in preseason and post season. By the end of the year I see a more traditional representation with the following ;

1st team
VanVleet
Marshall
Beane
Tuttle
Mockevisious

2nd team
Ballentine
Baker
Doyle
Carter
Buss
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » June 8th, 2014, 8:17 am

BEARZ77 wrote:I think there will be some differences in preseason and post season. By the end of the year I see a more traditional representation with the following ;

1st team
VanVleet
Marshall
Beane
Tuttle
Mockevisious

2nd team
Ballentine
Baker
Doyle
Carter
Buss

I think this is pretty good, but prefer Lynch to Buss, at least from an athleticism/potential perspective. I suspect Buss will put up very good stats as will Smith/Gant at ISUb.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » June 8th, 2014, 8:38 am

Yeah, I think Buss might be 1-3 in scoring and that always garners attention especially if a team is upper level, while Lynch will be strong defensively and on the boards but probably not score enough. Marshall/Beane got nods because they will have to score for their teams to be competitive, while I think Baker will be about where's he's been on a still very balanced team. Same for Ballentine as his team has more options now. Smith/Knight/Cotton were all high considerations. Bradley has talent, but not sure who will emerge.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby moshock » June 8th, 2014, 4:23 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:I think there will be some differences in preseason and post season. By the end of the year I see a more traditional representation with the following ;

1st team
VanVleet
Marshall
Beane
Tuttle
Mockevisious

2nd team
Ballentine
Baker
Doyle
Carter
Buss

Baker 2nd team.....Everyone is entitled to their opinion but :huh:
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mvcfan » June 8th, 2014, 5:29 pm

moshock wrote:

1st team
VanVleet
Marshall
Beane
Tuttle
Mockevisious

2nd team
Ballentine
Baker
Doyle
Carter
Buss

Baker 2nd team.....Everyone is entitled to their opinion but :huh:

Don't you remember last year when BearZ77 argued into December/January shortly before Marshall got hurt that Marshall was better than Baker and that Baker was just a good shooter who couldn't do anything else? Bearz77 is still delusional. While Marshall is very good, who would be a very good 6th man for the Shockers on this years team, Baker is a "stud".
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbird23 » June 8th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Van Vleet
Balentine
Baker
Doyle
Lynch
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BEARZ77 » June 8th, 2014, 8:31 pm

mvcfan, you miss the point; it's a very rare year a team gets 3 1st team All MVC players. It has little to do with who's best, but who has the statistical year to make the case or as last year, does a team run away with everything. Baker's stats weren't as good as several players last year and I doubt they are this year. I think both Beane and Marshall will have to carry their teams, while I think VanVleet is the most sure thing. For WSU to have the kind of year they expect, a frontcourt guy will have to be very good, hence I gave a first team nod to Carter. Baker won't be any less than previous, but I don't think those stats will overcome what a few other players put up. I could have said the same for Ballentine and perhaps even Knight, but I like Beane and Marshall better. If WSU runs a way with the league again, they probably could get three again, but I don't see that happening, so despite you're need to make this all-things WSU, I'm not so encumbered. Instead of allowing a difference in opinion, you had to make a personal attack. Sorry you're that weak. It's a preseason pole thread, get a life.
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » June 8th, 2014, 9:20 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:mvcfan, you miss the point; it's a very rare year a team gets 3 1st team All MVC players. It has little to do with who's best, but who has the statistical year to make the case or as last year, does a team run away with everything. Baker's stats weren't as good as several players last year and I doubt they are this year. I think both Beane and Marshall will have to carry their teams, while I think VanVleet is the most sure thing. For WSU to have the kind of year they expect, a frontcourt guy will have to be very good, hence I gave a first team nod to Carter. Baker won't be any less than previous, but I don't think those stats will overcome what a few other players put up. I could have said the same for Ballentine and perhaps even Knight, but I like Beane and Marshall better. If WSU runs a way with the league again, they probably could get three again, but I don't see that happening, so despite you're need to make this all-things WSU, I'm not so encumbered. Instead of allowing a difference in opinion, you had to make a personal attack. Sorry you're that weak. It's a preseason pole thread, get a life.

I guarantee you that MVC coaches know how good Baker is (and I think that they get a vote). I know that NBA scouts do and they are watching him as a possible draftee. That is my point.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball