Bradley @ K-State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bradley @ K-State

Postby BCPanther » June 27th, 2014, 12:27 pm

I would think another Thursday night would mark the end of the Geno Ford era.

I also have a tough time seeing them finish above WSU, UNI, MSU, InSU, UE, and IlSU; which would equal another Thursday night...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ptownbraves » June 27th, 2014, 2:11 pm

BCPanther wrote:I would think another Thursday night would mark the end of the Geno Ford era.

I would have agreed with you prior to this year's recruiting class...now I'm not so sure.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » June 27th, 2014, 3:32 pm

rlh04d wrote:Not being a 250+ RPI and a punching bag in conference and out would be a good way to get heat off him and bring attendance back up.

A big win is a good way to get enthusiasm up for a team that's already turned the corner, as an exclamation mark to the fans. A big win before you turn that corner will only get expectations up to a point where fans will be disappointed quickly.

Yeah but it's much easier and faster for people to get the message you're back to being competitive when you beat a top 25 team in December. Otherwise the naysayers will ask who you've beaten, and it's possible to go a full season without answering that. A 5th place season with no big wins still won't be enough for many. You turn heads by challenging Wichita in February or beating K-State in December.

You seem to operate under the assumption that Bradley can't be good this year and must see a year of transition before legitimately competing with Kansas State; that he must first field a team that finishes 5th before he can take on the likes of the Wildcats. Maybe, but I'm not so sure considering there was a big roster overhaul and he's bringing in the best class (on paper) in the conference. As for the risk of being disappointed by losing to UWGB a couple weeks later if we pull the upset, that's a risk I'm willing to take. I think even if that happens, the buzz generated by the big win isn't close to offset.

As for Geno's job security, I think this recruiting class has bought him another year unless this season is a disaster on and off the court.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BUFANATIC79 » June 28th, 2014, 7:57 am

My thought on Geno is that this season has to be an absolute train wreck for him to get fired. Auston Barnes is our only senior and we will have a lot of talent coming back in 15-16. I wouldn't want to split up that group because of a firing.
BUFANATIC79
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby rlh04d » June 28th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Mikovio wrote:You seem to operate under the assumption that Bradley can't be good this year and must see a year of transition before legitimately competing with Kansas State; that he must first field a team that finishes 5th before he can take on the likes of the Wildcats. Maybe, but I'm not so sure considering there was a big roster overhaul and he's bringing in the best class (on paper) in the conference.

I am under that assumption, and I don't think a roster overhaul tends to work well. Didn't Illinois State just have a roster overhaul with the best class (on paper) in the conference?

I'm not impressed with Geno and don't see any reason to think things are going to change. I don't think Ford has much of a resume behind him, and after three years he still had the same record as Jim Les did when he was fired (against a significantly worse SOS).

I'm hopeful he'll change things, because Bradley should be #2 in the Valley. I absolutely am not concerned with Bradley turning things around this season, though.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 29th, 2014, 7:42 am

I don't trust Geno as a coach, I don't care how he recruits.

Look at Phelps at Drake - always seemed to have the fans talking about "Look how great our players are" yet never finished above 8th.

That's kind of how I see Geno
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » June 29th, 2014, 8:22 am

Bradley is also playing a guarantee game at Memphis this year.

http://www.kansas.com/2014/06/28/3531259/wsu-notes-recruits-play-generates.html

The article is mostly about WSU (and is essentially off season filler), but here's the part about Bradley.
MVC coaches are forced to use other ways to strengthen their schedule. All MVC teams are strongly encouraged to participate in a tournament, a good way to face good competition on a neutral court. Bradley will play at Kansas State and at Memphis (with no return) this season. Missouri State played at Louisville last season and travels to Texas Tech this season
Last edited by Aargh on June 29th, 2014, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » June 29th, 2014, 3:52 pm

rlh04d wrote:I am under that assumption, and I don't think a roster overhaul tends to work well. Didn't Illinois State just have a roster overhaul with the best class (on paper) in the conference?

I'm not impressed with Geno and don't see any reason to think things are going to change. I don't think Ford has much of a resume behind him, and after three years he still had the same record as Jim Les did when he was fired (against a significantly worse SOS).

I'm hopeful he'll change things, because Bradley should be #2 in the Valley. I absolutely am not concerned with Bradley turning things around this season, though.

I think ISUR's class was only considered the best last year if you included McIntosh and Hawkins, who both had BCS offers but sat out last year as being academically ineligible. Other than them, their guys were lightly recruited, mostly JUCOs with a very surprising frosh in Lynch. Certainly none of them were top 100 recruits or had multiple BCS offers. I don't think any were JUCO AAs either but I could be wrong. Of course on the other hand with the league being down last year it was a lot easier to finish 5th. But regardless of conference finish if this is close to a top 100 RPI team it should be able go into Manhattan or Memphis and give them a game.

Of course this could all fall apart like the highly touted 2008 SIU class. Last year is a pretty good reason not to believe in Geno. But he did well in the MAC, including winning the league with a revamped roster. You could make a case either way, but given how loaded the lineup looks in 2016 I can't see him going anywhere, for good or bad.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » June 29th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Regardless of how BU performs this year, this is the best possible thing that Geno could have done since April, and it keeps things interesting. The class is good for BU and good for the Valley, but it's all for not if it doesn't show in the record books.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 29th, 2014, 9:01 pm

Mikovio wrote:I think ISUR's class was only considered the best last year if you included McIntosh and Hawkins, who both had BCS offers but sat out last year as being academically ineligible. Other than them, their guys were lightly recruited, mostly JUCOs with a very surprising frosh in Lynch. Certainly none of them were top 100 recruits or had multiple BCS offers. I don't think any were JUCO AAs either but I could be wrong. Of course on the other hand with the league being down last year it was a lot easier to finish 5th. But regardless of conference finish if this is close to a top 100 RPI team it should be able go into Manhattan or Memphis and give them a game.

Of course this could all fall apart like the highly touted 2008 SIU class. Last year is a pretty good reason not to believe in Geno. But he did well in the MAC, including winning the league with a revamped roster. You could make a case either way, but given how loaded the lineup looks in 2016 I can't see him going anywhere, for good or bad.

Fair points regarding McIntosh and Hawkins.

I guess we'll see this year. Without a significant turnaround from Geno, though (17+ wins?), he SHOULD be gone. I don't think he will be, but he should be.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball