Bradley @ K-State

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bradley @ K-State

Postby Cdizzle » June 24th, 2014, 8:51 am

BCPanther wrote:UNI is a clinic in scheduling. We may have been a bit over aggressive the last couple of years, but I would rather go that way than pull in a bunch of 300+ RPI teams every year.

Recent series with Ohio, VCU, Milwaukee, South Dakota State, and George Mason; along with either Iowa or Iowa State and a solid MTE is a great start and one that is totally attainable for EVERY Valley school. We've built at large quality OOC SOS while at the same time only taking 2 buy games (@ Syracuse in 2010 and @ Virginia last year).

It can be done by looking at numbers and not at names on the front of jerseys...

The problem is that a lot of these schools are ok with scheduling UNI because they feel they have a good chance to win, and they've been right. It gets easier to schedule teams between 75-125 when you are also always between 75-125, and have a history of winning about half of those games. This is not intended as a slight to UNI, just that the realities of scheduling change based on your recent history. Bradley is having trouble getting good home-n-homes because they are an RPI drag. WSU is having trouble getting home-n-homes cause very few teams think they have a chance to win. UNI is in the sweet spot of not being an RPI drag, and providing a realistic win opportunity for their opponent.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Mikovio » June 24th, 2014, 9:12 am

rlh04d wrote:Why do you need home and hoome games with top 25 programs?

WSU can't even get home and home games with top 25 programs. Neutral site with Memphis is about the best we're doing at the moment.

Bradley isn't even close to being a top 25 team, so I don't understand why you'd want to play a top 25 program. What's the point of getting crushed by a team on the road significantly better than your team? If the issue is SOS, schedule teams hovering around the 100 mark home/home. Those are teams that would improve the SOS and offer a realitsic shot at a victory.

Maybe you have more of a shot at being on TV against a K-State, but again, the chance for victory is remote, so I don't see how the loss on TV helps much.

I don't buy the "whoring" argument, but I do believe in scheduling intelligently. Schedule teams that offer a realistic chance at victory ... if you think the team has a realistic shot at beating a top team on the road, then sure, take the buy game and go win it. But if you're taking a buy game for a 5% chance at a victory, and then you're still scheduling 250+ RPI teams, all you're doing is scheduling a loss and making sure the RPI benefit is irrelevant. Look at what WSU's doing: rather than taking buy games on the road to get top opponents, they're stacking the schedule with solid teams with realistic shots at the tournament. WSU actually has a realistic shot at winning road buy games, unlike the rest of the MVC, but isn't taking them, and is instead taking teams that most MVC teams CAN schedule. Probably not as buy games as some of ours have been, but they could still be scheduled home/home.

WSU didn't have a single marquee nonconference opponent last year, but still ended up with the #28 noncon SOS and wins over four tournament teams, and of the other teams, #1 CUSA, #2 Sun Belt, #3 Colonial, #1 Southern, and only one flat out bad team (Tennessee State).

That's the blueprint for MVC teams to follow, not buy games against teams they can't beat. Schedule teams that are consistently in the top 100-200 RPI range. Try to get a few top 100 home/home games against smaller teams, and buy really small teams that tend to sit around 200.

Neutral site games with top 25 teams aren't easy either. I very much doubt the Maui Invitational would return our phone call. So the only way to get chances at top 25 opponents is a buy game. Why do I want to play them? Because this is a program in need of a splash, and those games provide that opportunity. And the SOS benefit. Even with a loss the SOS is helped considerably, and that has standings tiebreaker implications.

I am jealous of other MVC programs signing VCU to home and homes but I don't think our failure to put them on the schedule is due to lack of effort on our ADs part. As for money, we have the second highest budget in the conference by a wide margin, so again all signs point to recent performance as the culprit. We did just announce we're bringing Robert Morris (125 RPI last year) in for a buy game which I assume cost a little more. It's certainly important to get more of that.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » June 25th, 2014, 12:29 am

BCPanther wrote:UNI is a clinic in scheduling. We may have been a bit over aggressive the last couple of years, but I would rather go that way than pull in a bunch of 300+ RPI teams every year.

Recent series with Ohio, VCU, Milwaukee, South Dakota State, and George Mason; along with either Iowa or Iowa State and a solid MTE is a great start and one that is totally attainable for EVERY Valley school. We've built at large quality OOC SOS while at the same time only taking 2 buy games (@ Syracuse in 2010 and @ Virginia last year).

It can be done by looking at numbers and not at names on the front of jerseys...

Agreed. UNI and WSU are the two MVC schools that are scheduling smart.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 25th, 2014, 1:02 am

Mikovio wrote:Neutral site games with top 25 teams aren't easy either. I very much doubt the Maui Invitational would return our phone call. So the only way to get chances at top 25 opponents is a buy game. Why do I want to play them? Because this is a program in need of a splash, and those games provide that opportunity. And the SOS benefit. Even with a loss the SOS is helped considerably, and that has standings tiebreaker implications.

I am jealous of other MVC programs signing VCU to home and homes but I don't think our failure to put them on the schedule is due to lack of effort on our ADs part. As for money, we have the second highest budget in the conference by a wide margin, so again all signs point to recent performance as the culprit. We did just announce we're bringing Robert Morris (125 RPI last year) in for a buy game which I assume cost a little more. It's certainly important to get more of that.

I'm much happier about your Robert Morris game than the K-State game. That has the potential to be a solid game.

I don't think Bradley can get top 25 teams at a neutral site either, but, like I said, Bradley doesn't need a top 25 opponent. Bradley isn't a program in need of a splash. Bradley's a program in need of beginning a steady cycle of improvement.

And while K-State helps the SOS, avoiding bad games would help the SOS more. Like Central Michigan. Every drop of SOS help you get from losing to K-State is lost to scheduling Central Michigan, win or lose. What's the point of ever scheduling Central Michigan? They've been better than a 250 RPI three times since at least the 2003-04 season. Bradley doesn't have control over UIC, but ... they need to do better with the teams they can control.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mikovio » June 25th, 2014, 6:45 am

A big win would take some heat off Geno and help bring attendance back up much more than beating a bunch of 150s, and just maybe he thinks we have a chance with the incoming talent.

Central Michigan was a 2-1 series signed when they had just hired Keno Davis to rebuild. Since then, much of the MAC has improved (Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Toledo) but not CMU, unfortunately. They were good a decade ago with Chris Kaman. It wasn't the worst horse to bet on.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby rlh04d » June 27th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Mikovio wrote:A big win would take some heat off Geno and help bring attendance back up much more than beating a bunch of 150s, and just maybe he thinks we have a chance with the incoming talent.

Not being a 250+ RPI and a punching bag in conference and out would be a good way to get heat off him and bring attendance back up.

A big win is a good way to get enthusiasm up for a team that's already turned the corner, as an exclamation mark to the fans. A big win before you turn that corner will only get expectations up to a point where fans will be disappointed quickly.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BCPanther » June 27th, 2014, 12:27 pm

I would think another Thursday night would mark the end of the Geno Ford era.

I also have a tough time seeing them finish above WSU, UNI, MSU, InSU, UE, and IlSU; which would equal another Thursday night...
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » June 27th, 2014, 2:11 pm

BCPanther wrote:I would think another Thursday night would mark the end of the Geno Ford era.

I would have agreed with you prior to this year's recruiting class...now I'm not so sure.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Mikovio » June 27th, 2014, 3:32 pm

rlh04d wrote:Not being a 250+ RPI and a punching bag in conference and out would be a good way to get heat off him and bring attendance back up.

A big win is a good way to get enthusiasm up for a team that's already turned the corner, as an exclamation mark to the fans. A big win before you turn that corner will only get expectations up to a point where fans will be disappointed quickly.

Yeah but it's much easier and faster for people to get the message you're back to being competitive when you beat a top 25 team in December. Otherwise the naysayers will ask who you've beaten, and it's possible to go a full season without answering that. A 5th place season with no big wins still won't be enough for many. You turn heads by challenging Wichita in February or beating K-State in December.

You seem to operate under the assumption that Bradley can't be good this year and must see a year of transition before legitimately competing with Kansas State; that he must first field a team that finishes 5th before he can take on the likes of the Wildcats. Maybe, but I'm not so sure considering there was a big roster overhaul and he's bringing in the best class (on paper) in the conference. As for the risk of being disappointed by losing to UWGB a couple weeks later if we pull the upset, that's a risk I'm willing to take. I think even if that happens, the buzz generated by the big win isn't close to offset.

As for Geno's job security, I think this recruiting class has bought him another year unless this season is a disaster on and off the court.
Mikovio
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BUFANATIC79 » June 28th, 2014, 7:57 am

My thought on Geno is that this season has to be an absolute train wreck for him to get fired. Auston Barnes is our only senior and we will have a lot of talent coming back in 15-16. I wouldn't want to split up that group because of a firing.
BUFANATIC79
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball