Most important thing for the valley to be successful is...

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Most important thing for the valley to be successful is.

Postby Veritas » June 19th, 2014, 7:26 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Veritas wrote:
2. Your Championship Center, while nice, Is pretty much what every other Valley school already has.

Perhaps the dumbest (and most inaccurate) thing you've said. That's quite an accomplishment since you say so many dumb (and inaccurate) things.

The remainder of your post was comical as well. The only reason WSU was undefeated last year is because Creighton left the MVC. If we were still around we would have beat you at least once and probably twice just like last year, assuming you made the conference tourney championship and didn't choke on the way there like you did two years ago. Good grief, every pundit on TV or in the print media commented how you played nobody last year. We, on the other hand, had three other conference members alone make the NCAA tourney. Playing a top tier SOS is difficult. Someday you may understand.

DJA, unfortunately two degrees from CU hasn't yet taught you to respond rationally instead of with prickly emotion. My post wasn't meant to hurt your feelings or discredit your program. I apologize if that is how you took it.
Please separate fact from feeling and read my post again.
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Championz » June 19th, 2014, 8:27 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Veritas wrote:
2. Your Championship Center, while nice, Is pretty much what every other Valley school already has.

Perhaps the dumbest (and most inaccurate) thing you've said. That's quite an accomplishment since you say so many dumb (and inaccurate) things.

The remainder of your post was comical as well. The only reason WSU was undefeated last year is because Creighton left the MVC. If we were still around we would have beat you at least once and probably twice just like last year, assuming you made the conference tourney championship and didn't choke on the way there like you did two years ago. Good grief, every pundit on TV or in the print media commented how you played nobody last year. We, on the other hand, had three other conference members alone make the NCAA tourney. Playing a top tier SOS is difficult. Someday you may understand.

Dang, a bit defensive are we?

All Veritas said was that your Championship Center wasn't that special and instead of refuting that claim, you jumped straight into a WSU slam barrage, downplaying an undefeated season in college basketball.

That was very well done. This clearly shows you have no insecurity issues, no thin skin, and are comfortable in your new conference shell - especially since you are still lurking and posting here. You have to admit, you don't look good.
Championz
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » June 19th, 2014, 10:53 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote: We, on the other hand, had three other conference members alone make the NCAA tourney. Playing a top tier SOS is difficult. Someday you may understand.

How did that tough schedule work out for you? That tougher schedule obviously prepared you well for the NCAA tournament.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400548679

In contrast, WSU's "playing no one", somehow still managed to prepare them to play what many consider to have been the best game of the season. That was against the national runner-up, Kentucky, and their bevy of McDonald's all-stars and NBA lottery picks.

Evidently that superior SOS didn't prepare Creighton too well for the #6 team in the B12, who had a 9-9 league record.

CU probably needs to actually do something to back up the egos, superiority, and arrogance shown by their posters. Beating the 3rd plce team in the Sun Belt doesn't count.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shoxfan11 » June 19th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Maybe we should cut the Creighton fans a break. Last year was supposed to be their year! They had a bunch of seniors, including a player they were not expecting to have back and the best player they've ever had at their school. This would be the year they would finally get more than one win in the NCAA Tournament. Who knows, maybe even a run to the Elite Eight or, gasp, maybe even a Final Four like Wichita State got last year!

Then what happens? Creighton does what they normally do. A 30 point loss in the NCAA tournament. Their best team in history goes down in good old Creighton fashion.

It's pretty easy to tell that their fans are a little sore right now. I say they deserve our sympathy. Not that it matters anyways - after all, these new recruits can easily fill the shoes of Gibbs and McDermott. Wookie proved to be a solid recruiter at Iowa State, the results there proved that, did they not? It's not like just any coach off the street could accomplish a couple of 11th place finishes in the Big 12.
Shoxfan11
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » June 19th, 2014, 3:41 pm

Drakey wrote:There are several schools in the Valley trending upward. While WSU is currently by far the best team and program I anticipate that will change in the future. The West Coast conference had one good program for several years. I think as a result of that several other programs were able to elevate and become competitive. I think the schools with the best chance of building a successful Basketball program at this time are the schools without a money draining scholarship football team. Others might be able to do it, but it is certainly more difficult. UNI is obviously in pretty good shape as long as they keep their coach, and Hinson may get something done at SIU.

Don't mention money draining football or you might set off a firestorm from a certain Valley wannabe team.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jaybydna » June 19th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Wow. So defensive WSU fans. Protest too much maybe? Let me help you out:
- we suck in the second round of the NCAA
- we rent our arena
- we still come back to this forum

None of that answers the question of this topic. To be successful, you need fans. The few of us still here are fans of the mvc. Does it serve your purpose to kick us off the island?

Again back on topic, except for WSU, mvc schools needs butts in seats. Why would you ignore what Creighton did to accomplish that? Do the Joan of Ark nights, build a fan base, and use that fans base to put a good product on the floor.

Do that, and maybe 10 years from now you could have what Creighton has, which every honest person on this board will admit is pretty special.
jaybydna
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Aargh » June 19th, 2014, 8:44 pm

jaybydna wrote:...mvc schools needs butts in seats. Why would you ignore what Creighton did to accomplish that? Do the Joan of Ark nights, build a fan base, and use that fans base to put a good product on the floor.

Do that, and maybe 10 years from now you could have what Creighton has, which every honest person on this board will admit is pretty special.

Great post. Dead on. Contributes to the discussion and the conversation.

CU fans and WSU fans first instinct is trash talking. The two fanbases just don't like each other very well. That carries over into slanted, derogatory, smack-talking posts. In the off season, that's one of the more entertaining things that can happen on this board.

WSU fans made light of the give-away programs and low-dollar tickets CU used to fill 17,000 seats, but one thing can't be denied. CU is filling 17,000 seats. The admins at CU did what was needed to build interest and get the fans out. Taking a recruit into CLink and telling them that every seat is going to be filled every time they play there is a HUGE recruiting tool.

WSU fans should hope that CU does well in their new league. That would make the Valley look more credible, but it's very difficult for WSU fans to wish CU well.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » June 19th, 2014, 9:37 pm

jaybydna wrote:Wow. So defensive WSU fans. Protest too much maybe? Let me help you out:
- we suck in the second round of the NCAA
- we rent our arena
- we still come back to this forum

None of that answers the question of this topic. To be successful, you need fans. The few of us still here are fans of the mvc. Does it serve your purpose to kick us off the island?

Again back on topic, except for WSU, mvc schools needs butts in seats. Why would you ignore what Creighton did to accomplish that? Do the Joan of Ark nights, build a fan base, and use that fans base to put a good product on the floor.

That's a pretty good post. Of course Creighton is to be commended for your attendance and the passion of your fan base. But I really think a lot of BJ fans ( not you) are green with envy at what WSU has built the last several years. Until CU can make a deep run in the tourney they will be a mid major program regardless of conference affiliation.

To me this year will tell a lot about the program. Can CU win big (even in the regular season) without their best player? Should be interesting.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 19th, 2014, 9:45 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Veritas wrote:

Those of you responding to this troll seriously definitely deserve kudos, because I couldn't even begin to.

All I see when DJA says anything is Baylor scoring at will and winning by 30 over his silly, overrated team, in what was supposed to be their biggest season ever. And the most ridiculous thing of it all was that it was just so. Damn. Predictable.

Also, kudos to DJA. Coming out guns firing when your team was so thoroughly humiliated is inspiring.
Last edited by rlh04d on June 19th, 2014, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 19th, 2014, 9:52 pm

glm38 wrote:
That's a pretty good post. Of course Creighton is to be commended for your attendance and the passion of your fan base. But I really think a lot of BJ fans ( not you) are green with envy at what WSU has built the last several years. Until CU can make a deep run in the tourney they will be a mid major program regardless of conference affiliation.

To me this year will tell a lot about the program. Can CU win big (even in the regular season) without their best player? Should be interesting.

I think the truth is that Creighton and WSU fans are both jealous of the other program.

There's no doubt in my mind that WSU's recent accomplishments have been beyond anything Creighton has achieved in school history.

There's also no doubt in my mind that Creighton's Big East membership gives them a significant leg up on WSU over the long-term. Creighton fans overstate their television coverage (I'm fairly sure more people watched the WSU/Kentucky game than watched every Creighton FS1 game combined, maybe EVERY game combined), but there is a floor on their TV coverage that is vastly higher than WSU's, and a major financial advantage.

WSU's accomplishments are more important currently. Creighton's likely will be more important long-term.

Ultimately, though, I'd prefer cheering for a team achieving the highest level of success than doing the basketball-equivalent of chanting "SEC!" as an Arkansas fan. Especially when the "SEC!" equivalent isn't "our conference is the best!" but "our conference is top five!"

Plus ... your cheer for your team to win. You don't cheer for your team to maybe have the possibility to have a better shot at success in the future. WSU's ALREADY having that success, where Creighton fans can only hope that the building block of the Big East will allow them to match WSU's success at some future point. It might. But it also might not.
Last edited by rlh04d on June 20th, 2014, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball