Most important thing for the valley to be successful is...

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Most important thing for the valley to be successful is.

Postby PantherSigEp » June 20th, 2014, 11:58 am

I'm not sure how many programs wouldn't take a step back after losing a NPOY and 4 senior starters. This year won't be the indicator, it will be 2014-15 in my opinion which should be a CU team mostly filled with recruits after they joined the Big East.

:huh:

Won't this year be 2014-2015
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Veritas » June 20th, 2014, 12:06 pm

Agree. CU should see a fall off next season. In 2 - 3 years it will determined if they fall from the national scene like it appears is happening to Butler. I personally hope they don't.

I know Wichita is a Shocker town with KU, KSU, and OU bring up the next three spots.
Is Omaha a BJ town or a UNL town? With the brief resurgence of UNL basketball and CU's rebuilding year, will CU see a drop off in attendance this year?
I hope CU does well as it could help convince someone that a similar model could include WSU and potentially other MoVal schools who take basketball seriously.
Veritas
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Snaggletooth » June 20th, 2014, 3:56 pm

CBS has this to say about CU: it's time to rebuild.

EARLY GUESS AT TOP 5 IN THE LEAGUE

Villanova
Xavier
Georgetown
Providence
Seton Hall

meanwhile for WSU it says:

Can Wichita State replicate its run?

Wichita State was one of the biggest stories in college basketball last season, going unbeaten during the regular season, winning the Missouri Valley conference tournament -- and then losing to Kentucky in the Round of 32 of the NCAA Tournament. Despite the earlier-than-expected tourney defeat, Wichita State still finished 35-1 and was one of the best teams in the country throughout the season. But what does ths 2014-15 season hold for the Shockers? No one expects them to win their first 35 games again this season, but the dropoff shouldn't be as dramatic as some people expect. Cleanthony Early is gone, but Ron Baker and Fred Van Vleet return to form one of the best backcourts in the country. Throw in Tekele Cotton, and Gregg Marshall has another terrific core around which to build.

Great time to be a Shocker, great time to watch CU suck!
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 20th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Veritas wrote:Agree. CU should see a fall off next season. In 2 - 3 years it will determined if they fall from the national scene like it appears is happening to Butler. I personally hope they don't.

It's not fair to Butler to compare Creighton to them.

Butler's had success at the highest level. Creighton's ... averaged a lot of fans and never made the Sweet 16.

Creighton hasn't been on the national scene ... Doug McDermott has been. Butler put together one of the best teams of the last few decades. Not comparable to a team that got railed by 30 to the 6th place team in the B12 with a lottery pick and a lineup loaded with upper classmen.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » June 20th, 2014, 7:30 pm

ihsi wrote:
glm38 wrote:
jaybydna wrote:Wow. So defensive WSU fans. Protest too much maybe? Let me help you out:
- we suck in the second round of the NCAA
- we rent our arena
- we still come back to this forum

None of that answers the question of this topic. To be successful, you need fans. The few of us still here are fans of the mvc. Does it serve your purpose to kick us off the island?

Again back on topic, except for WSU, mvc schools needs butts in seats. Why would you ignore what Creighton did to accomplish that? Do the Joan of Ark nights, build a fan base, and use that fans base to put a good product on the floor.

Do that, and maybe 10 years from now you could have what Creighton has, which every honest person on this board will admit is pretty special.

That's a pretty good post. Of course Creighton is to be commended for your attendance and the passion of your fan base. But I really think a lot of BJ fans ( not you) are green with envy at what WSU has built the last several years. Until CU can make a deep run in the tourney they will be a mid major program regardless of conference affiliation.

To me this year will tell a lot about the program. Can CU win big (even in the regular season) without their best player? Should be interesting.

I'm not sure how many programs wouldn't take a step back after losing a NPOY and 4 senior starters. This year won't be the indicator, it will be 2014-15 in my opinion which should be a CU team mostly filled with recruits after they joined the Big East.

National caliber types of programs are expected to reload and be a factor every year. Creighton may get there sometime.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Pinkie » June 22nd, 2014, 6:35 pm

Have to figure out a way to improve non-conference scheduling IMO. I'm not anti-buy game like some people here.
Pinkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball