Who is the best MVC shooting guard?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who is the best MVC shooting guard?

Postby underdawg » June 18th, 2014, 9:42 pm

Actually, when Beane switched to Point guard from Shooting guard with 15 games to go is when he blossomed--look for him to be our PG this year too,
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » June 19th, 2014, 5:22 am

underdawg wrote:Actually, when Beane switched to Point guard from Shooting guard with 15 games to go is when he blossomed--look for him to be our PG this year too,

Did he blossom because he was playing point or because SIU didn't have a point capable of getting him the ball?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jturner38 » June 19th, 2014, 12:04 pm

How bout we just do best 5 for each position? PG, SG, SF, PF, C
Now for athletes who play more than 1 position you choose between what they play the most or what they play better at. Now this just for returning players.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Rollbird5 » June 19th, 2014, 12:50 pm

jturner38 wrote:How bout we just do best 5 for each position? PG, SG, SF, PF, C
Now for athletes who play more than 1 position you choose between what they play the most or what they play better at. Now this just for returning players.

1.Van Vleet
2. Baker
3.Doyle
4. Tuttle
5. Big Reggie Lynch

Im considering Beane being a point guard. If I considered him a 2 I would put him before baker based on talent but if it was who you'd rather have it'd be baker for me.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » June 19th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Championz wrote:Ballentine is the best spot-up shooter.
Beane is probably the best scorer.
Baker is the best all-around player.

This is a more reasoned approach than most have taken, so it's a little easier to get behind. I'd like to see another full year of Beane, as he came on SO strong at the end of last year. It will also be interesting to see how Baker does as more of a 'feature' scorer this year. Some of his numbers might go up, but his efficiency's might drop.

Most of the advanced offensive statistics actually favor Baker slightly over the other two, while the non-offensive statistics are pretty heavily in his favor. I enjoy looking here for these types of comparisons: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compar ... =ron-baker

At any rate, just looking at all these guys gives me hope that the league will be MUCH improved this year. Lots of talented guards becoming upperclassmen and being joined by decent-looking prospects.

Balentine - 38 minutes per game. Rode hard, put up wet. Man, that is too many minutes.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 19th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Wufan wrote:
uniftw wrote: He had a rough start to the season, and at one point was at something like 12% from 3 about 8 games into the season. That tells you how how he got, and stayed, the rest of the season.

I don't think this is applicable to your post since the stats presented were for conference games only. Another nice 2 guard though.

It is loosely. After that stretch, which ended just before conference, he was close to 50% on the season.

Like I said, he won't be confused as the best all around SG in the conference, but when it comes to being a pure shooter he is as good as it gets at the 2 right now.

Ali gets a lot of credit for his shooting at UNI, but Matty Bo is way a head of him.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 19th, 2014, 9:38 pm

jturner38 wrote:How bout we just do best 5 for each position? PG, SG, SF, PF, C

I think some guidelines on what makes someone the "best" would be "best."

Best offensive player? Best defensive player? Best NBA prospect? How much do you weigh offense versus defense in determining overall qualities?

I say quantify guys on a 1-10 scale for both offense and defense and then average the two together. For any position.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » June 21st, 2014, 4:23 pm

uniftw wrote:I won't make a case for Matt Bohannon to be the best all round SG in the league, because he isn't. He is, however, likely the best pure shooter.

In conference play Matt Bohannon had a true shooting % of 63.8 (Beane was next at 59.3), was 2nd in effective FG percent at 63.1 (none of the others mentioned in top 10), had the most threes made (by double digits), was 2nd in 3pt % (45% and 46 for the season) He had a rough start to the season, and at one point was at something like 12% from 3 about 8 games into the season. That tells you how how he got, and stayed, the rest of the season.

I agree that from what I've seen of him Bohannon is a fine shooter. But I doubt he's better than the Bears Austin Ruder. Ruders shooting percentage wasn't as good but he hit some huge shots for us and a lot of them were under tremendous pressure. Ruder is such a good shooter he was definitely a "marked man" even as a freshman. I remember both Hinson and Marshall yelling at SIU and WSU respectively to NEVER give him an open look. Hinson called it his "where's Waldo" approach.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » June 21st, 2014, 5:03 pm

glm38 wrote:
uniftw wrote:I won't make a case for Matt Bohannon to be the best all round SG in the league, because he isn't. He is, however, likely the best pure shooter.

In conference play Matt Bohannon had a true shooting % of 63.8 (Beane was next at 59.3), was 2nd in effective FG percent at 63.1 (none of the others mentioned in top 10), had the most threes made (by double digits), was 2nd in 3pt % (45% and 46 for the season) He had a rough start to the season, and at one point was at something like 12% from 3 about 8 games into the season. That tells you how how he got, and stayed, the rest of the season.

I agree that from what I've seen of him Bohannon is a fine shooter. But I doubt he's better than the Bears Austin Ruder. Ruders shooting percentage wasn't as good but he hit some huge shots for us and a lot of them were under tremendous pressure. Ruder is such a good shooter he was definitely a "marked man" even as a freshman. I remember both Hinson and Marshall yelling at SIU and WSU respectively to NEVER give him an open look. Hinson called it his "where's Waldo" approach.

When MSU would play us (isur) Ruder was the guy I was the most worried about dude can flat out shoot
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » June 21st, 2014, 8:22 pm

glm38 wrote:

3-POINT FG PCT Cl GP 3FG 3FGA Pct
1. Buss, Nate-UNI JR 15 27 49 .551
2. Hawley, Aaron-DU SR 18 45 90 .500
3. Daniels, Jordan-DU SO 18 28 60 .467
4. Bohannon, Matt-UNI SO 18 61 133 .459
5. Smithpeters, Tyler-SIU FR 16 21 46 .457
6. Barnes, Auston-BU JR 18 25 59 .424
7. Zeisloft,Nick-ILS SO 18 36 86 .419
8. Ruder,Austin-MSU FR 18 40 96 .417
9. Beane, Anthony-SIU SO 18 33 81 .407
10. Van Vleet, Fred-WSU SO 18 19 47 .404

3-POINT FG MADE Cl GP 3FG Avg/G
1. Bohannon, Matt-UNI SO 18 61 3.4
2. Hawley, Aaron-DU SR 18 45 2.5
3. Balentine, D.J.-UE SO 18 44 2.4
4. Ruder,Austin-MSU FR 18 40 2.2
5. Turk, Devon-LUC SO 18 36 2.0
Zeisloft,Nick-ILS SO 18 36 2.0
7. Early, Cleanthony-WSU SR 18 34 1.9
8. Baker, Ron-WSU SO 18 33 1.8
Beane, Anthony-SIU SO 18 33 1.8
10. Buss, Nate-UNI JR 15 27 1.8

Bohannon made 21 more with a better shooting %

Bohannon started the season real rough starting 15-66 int he OOC but something finally clicked for him and he finished very strong. Had Matt shot the % early in the season as he did after his slump he would have finished with over 100 3s made

Matt also had a better effective and true shooting % than Ruder.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball