Who is the best MVC shooting guard?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who is the best MVC shooting guard?

Postby Wufan » June 23rd, 2014, 11:07 am

Rollbird5 wrote: No offense to Baker or you but no way he is #2 shooting guard in the nation.

That was actually the assessment of the Sporting News, not Aargh or Ron. I'm sure there are varying opinions on it. That said, since you disagree, I'm curious as to your top 10.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Rollbird5 » June 23rd, 2014, 11:34 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:It helps him playing in a weak valley this past year. No offense to Baker or you but no way he is #2 shooting guard in the nation. He's a fine player but at best maybe a 2nd round draft pick. That's just my opinion after seeing him play the last two years and watching alot of college basketball

Watch more basketball. You may be right, Baker may not be the 2nd best shooting guard in the country. But your argument is horrible.

Below are Baker's career and 2013-14 stats against NCAA tournament teams:

Min FGM FGA FG% 3PM 3PA 3PT% FTM FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
    30.2 3.8 7.9 0.5 2.1 5.1 0.4 3.6 4.4 0.8 4.8 1.9 0.5 1.1 2.3 1.4 13.4
    30.6 5.0 9.3 0.6 2.6 5.7 0.5 4.0 4.9 0.8 5.0 2.1 0.7 1.7 1.7 1.7 16.6

Feel free to find me 2 SGs averaging 16.6 PPG against tournament teams while shooting 60% from the field, 50% from 3, 80% from FT and grabbing 5 RPG, with a positive A/T. Bonus points if you can find underclassmen.

I'm not arguing I'm just stating my opinion based on the eye test. That's what I like to use when I compare players. As for naming my top ten like wufan asked I'd have to get back to you on that and do some more research on that. When I watch big 10 big 12, acc basketball for example, if you were to put them in the valley and on a team like wichita they would excel at around the same rate i would predict, although there is no sure way to know. However, if you were to put baker on one of those teams and play some of the best teams in the nation on a nightly basis his numbers would more than likely suffer a little bit because of better and quicker guards defending him than he's used to in the valley. This is all my opinion I'm not trying to prove anybody wrong or right just stating my thoughts.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » June 23rd, 2014, 11:43 am

Rollbird5 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:It helps him playing in a weak valley this past year. No offense to Baker or you but no way he is #2 shooting guard in the nation. He's a fine player but at best maybe a 2nd round draft pick. That's just my opinion after seeing him play the last two years and watching alot of college basketball

Watch more basketball. You may be right, Baker may not be the 2nd best shooting guard in the country. But your argument is horrible.

Feel free to find me 2 SGs averaging 16.6 PPG against tournament teams while shooting 60% from the field, 50% from 3, 80% from FT and grabbing 5 RPG, with a positive A/T. Bonus points if you can find underclassmen.

I'm not arguing I'm just stating my opinion based on the eye test. That's what I like to use when I compare players. As for naming my top ten like wufan asked I'd have to get back to you on that and do some more research on that. When I watch big 10 big 12, acc basketball for example, if you were to put them in the valley and on a team like wichita they would excel at around the same rate i would predict, although there is no sure way to know. However, if you were to put baker on one of those teams and play some of the best teams in the nation on a nightly basis his numbers would more than likely suffer a little bit because of better and quicker guards defending him than he's used to in the valley. This is all my opinion I'm not trying to prove anybody wrong or right just stating my thoughts.

Did you miss the part where I pointed out that his numbers are actually BETTER when playing against the best teams in the nation? The talent on these B10, B12, ACC teams is not higher than that on the WSU team, which is why they spent the year ranked in the Top 5.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » June 23rd, 2014, 12:08 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

How did your eye test do when put in 20 against the Kentucky Wildcats who were runnerup National Champs? Thàt was not against a weak Valley. If your eyes didn't see it you may need another exam.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Born2Shock » June 23rd, 2014, 12:13 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Saying you use the eye test to compare players and then wanting to do research to get your top 10 doesnt make any sense.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Rollbird5 » June 23rd, 2014, 12:58 pm

Sorry guys how dare I disagree with the almighty king of the basketball world wichita state shockers fan base. It is different playing 4-5 games when teams haven't seen you as much but playing 18+ games against those teams the stats may differ, they may not we'll never know. As for some guys I would put ahead of Baker: Caris LaVert, Wayne Selden, Malcolm Brogden, Marcus Foster. I would put Baker ahead of Harrison, I think Harrison's are overrated. So I'd have Baker at least 5th IMO. I think he's an excellent player all I've said is that he is not #2 in the nation like sportingnews said IMO
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » June 23rd, 2014, 1:18 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:Sorry guys how dare I disagree with the almighty king of the basketball world wichita state shockers fan base. It is different playing 4-5 games when teams haven't seen you as much but playing 18+ games against those teams the stats may differ, they may not we'll never know. As for some guys I would put ahead of Baker: Caris LaVert, Wayne Selden, Malcolm Brogden, Marcus Foster. I would put Baker ahead of Harrison, I think Harrison's are overrated. So I'd have Baker at least 5th IMO. I think he's an excellent player all I've said is that he is not #2 in the nation like sportingnews said IMO

Nothing wrong with disagreeing, just trying to figure out on what you were basing your judgment. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the players you list. I think it's pretty clear that Selden is a cut below the other 4. His raw numbers, efficiencies, and peripheral stats are all considerably lower.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compar ... cus-foster

After that, I would agree that LaVert, Brogdon, Foster and Baker make a good list, regardless of order. Baker has some efficiency and peripheral stat advantages in some places, but I could buy those equalizing against more consistent top-notch competition.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » June 23rd, 2014, 3:45 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:Sorry guys how dare I disagree with the almighty king of the basketball world wichita state shockers fan base. It is different playing 4-5 games when teams haven't seen you as much but playing 18+ games against those teams the stats may differ, they may not we'll never know. As for some guys I would put ahead of Baker: Caris LaVert, Wayne Selden, Malcolm Brogden, Marcus Foster. I would put Baker ahead of Harrison, I think Harrison's are overrated. So I'd have Baker at least 5th IMO. I think he's an excellent player all I've said is that he is not #2 in the nation like sportingnews said IMO

You forgot to mention Beane this time.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » June 23rd, 2014, 3:48 pm

mvcfan wrote:

You forgot to mention Beane this time.

The Siu fan said he'll be playing point guard
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » June 23rd, 2014, 4:42 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

Nothing wrong with disagreeing, just trying to figure out on what you were basing your judgment. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the players you list. I think it's pretty clear that Selden is a cut below the other 4. His raw numbers, efficiencies, and peripheral stats are all considerably lower.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compar ... cus-foster

After that, I would agree that LaVert, Brogdon, Foster and Baker make a good list, regardless of order. Baker has some efficiency and peripheral stat advantages in some places, but I could buy those equalizing against more consistent top-notch competition.

I like that website never seen it definitely good for comparing players. When I compare I do look at stats some but I feel like stats can be misleading so I base my comparisons off seeing them play who they play and how they react to different situations as my main criteria.
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball