Starters and Bench

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Starters and Bench

Postby wgslaw » July 1st, 2014, 9:57 am

Wichita State will most likely start Van Fleet, Baker, Cotton, Carter and Wamukota the 7 foot Juco center. Glass at 6’7 who is another Juco recruit will probably play a lot at 3 or 4. I wonder how much time the two RSF, Morris and Holland, will get due to the loaded freshman class.

The freshman are Eric Hamilton from Georgia-6’9 and still growing and a tremendous talent; Nurger from Estonia-a mature 6’10 who should contribute immediately and looks like a top flight MVC big man; Rashad Kelly from Virginia-6’7 PF who doesn't have much video but a lot of props; Zach Brown-6’7 SG from Houston who is athletic and with big time range; and Corey Henderson from Dallas-6’2 point guard who will probably spell Van Fleet. Nurger, Kelly and Brown are all prep school players. Two are from Sunrise Christian which is a prep factory loaded with high level D1 talent. It is a whole team-and a good one. With Marshall, you rebound and play defense or you don't play. Be that as it may, take a look at these videos of Hamilton, Nurger and Brown and explain to me how these kids are going to sit.

http://www.cityleaguehoops.net/2013/10/ ... -sleepers/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ4r-ZBCMXs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEe3ixBTdvA
wgslaw
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ahunte1 » July 1st, 2014, 10:13 am

If I had to guess Loyola's starting 5, it would be:

1. White
2. Doyle
3. Crisman/Ingram
4. Thomas
5. Jones (?)

But, with all the newcomers, it's hard to say. White, Doyle, and Thomas are the three I'm certain of.

Off the bench you have Turk, JUCO transfer Earl Peterson, and freshman Ben Richardson at guard. And, you have JUCO Montel James, freshman Rajala from Finland, and freshman Jay Knuth at forward.

If the guards off the bench can provide rest for Doyle and White, and if one or two of the big men can play right away (rebound), it's an improved team. Maybe out of Thursday night?
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » July 1st, 2014, 7:32 pm

ahunte1 wrote:If I had to guess Loyola's starting 5, it would be:

1. White
2. Doyle
3. Crisman/Ingram
4. Thomas
5. Jones (?)

But, with all the newcomers, it's hard to say. White, Doyle, and Thomas are the three I'm certain of.

Off the bench you have Turk, JUCO transfer Earl Peterson, and freshman Ben Richardson at guard. And, you have JUCO Montel James, freshman Rajala from Finland, and freshman Jay Knuth at forward.

If the guards off the bench can provide rest for Doyle and White, and if one or two of the big men can play right away (rebound), it's an improved team. Maybe out of Thursday night?

It's really hard to predict how teams will perform next year with all the new/unseen talent. I think Loyola will be improved, but I don't see them skipping Thursday this year. SIU, Bradley, ISUr and Evansville all look to be improved as well. Drake looks like a Thursday team. ISUb won't fall from second to 7th or worse most likely. MSU should be decent. I'm just not seeing it for Loyola.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jturner38 » July 2nd, 2014, 2:54 pm

Wufan wrote:
ahunte1 wrote:If I had to guess Loyola's starting 5, it would be:

1. White
2. Doyle
3. Crisman/Ingram
4. Thomas
5. Jones (?)

It's really hard to predict how teams will perform next year with all the new/unseen talent. I think Loyola will be improved, but I don't see them skipping Thursday this year. SIU, Bradley, ISUr and Evansville all look to be improved as well. Drake looks like a Thursday team. ISUb won't fall from second to 7th or worse most likely. MSU should be decent. I'm just not seeing it for Loyola.

I agree with you I just dont see ISUb falling that far. Coach Lansing can coach and with a go to guy like Khristian Smith and hopefully a consistent Justin Gant I see 6th at worst 3rd/4th at best but wouldnt be that suprised if they made a push for 2nd. It happened JO's freshman year against Mo st for 1st.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby siudawgs » July 2nd, 2014, 3:23 pm

If I could get action in Vegas, I would plunk some coin down on Indiana State being a Thursday team in an improved MVC 2014-15. You win with guards in the MVC, and Indiana State's backcourt isn't going to measure up real favorably. Frontcourt is solid but not spectacular.
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » July 2nd, 2014, 4:01 pm

siudawgs wrote:If I could get action in Vegas, I would plunk some coin down on Indiana State being a Thursday team in an improved MVC 2014-15. You win with guards in the MVC, and Indiana State's backcourt isn't going to measure up real favorably. Frontcourt is solid but not spectacular.

I think the Sycamores have some nice back court talent coming in. We will see how they adjust to D-I games.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jturner38 » July 3rd, 2014, 8:55 am

siudawgs wrote:If I could get action in Vegas, I would plunk some coin down on Indiana State being a Thursday team in an improved MVC 2014-15. You win with guards in the MVC, and Indiana State's backcourt isn't going to measure up real favorably. Frontcourt is solid but not spectacular.

Id take some of that action in Vegas and would put some Cash down that they wont be a Thursday Team. Really the starting 5 wont/shouldnt be a problem. It's going to come down to bench production. Which is unknown for the Sycamores at this point.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball