Starters and Bench

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Starters and Bench

Postby PantherSigEp » June 20th, 2014, 4:26 pm

BEARZ77 wrote:
Curious about that statement, not that I'm disagreeing, just seem to recall that when Bennett gave a verbal to UNI, he was a bit of an afterthought and his stats were under whelming. Now I think those might have been junior year stats, but I'd be be curious about his senior year stats and honors. Obviously the bloodlines are good and he has the size, so mostly just curious how he compared coming out of HS.

He was one of the earlier commits if I recall correctly, so yes those were likely Jr year stats. He should end up as the tallest Koch and both brothers and others have indicated that he was much more developed in his game coming out of Ashwaubenon HS than Adam and Jake. I think he was maybe 6'7 when he committed but was 6'9 when he came to campus. Hopefully he's put in some good time in the weight room though because he'll be at his most productive and effective for us if he becomes more solid than Jake was.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » June 20th, 2014, 4:29 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Wufan wrote:
BCPanther wrote:UNI--

PG--Washpun/Mitchell/Lohaus--Any of these 3 could start or come off the bench
SG--Morgan/Bohannon/Knar
WG--Jesperson/Morgan/Bohannon
S4--Buss/Singleton/Carlson
C--Tuttle/Koch/Friedman

UNI is really deep. Going to be a real battle for minutes.

They are deep, but I have front court questions after Tuttle and Buss. Same can be said about the Shockers.

Agreed. I throw Bennett Koch into that group too, but after that it gets either undersized or inexperienced. Bennett may end up the best of the Koch brothers by the time he's done and that is really saying something.

I think BK will be a good one as well, but I'm not sure how soon. Buss and Tuttle have to be the best two returners though. UNI finishing 2nd or 5th might depend on how the new bigs do. The consistent contributions of Singleton offset the risks somewhat.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 21st, 2014, 8:13 am

Wufan wrote:
I think BK will be a good one as well, but I'm not sure how soon. Buss and Tuttle have to be the best two returners though. UNI finishing 2nd or 5th might depend on how the new bigs do. The consistent contributions of Singleton offset the risks somewhat.
Singleton was extremely solid in the minutes he played last year - which is why he was starting at the end of the season.

Ashwaubenon (and apparently the state of Wisconsin) is terrible at reporting stats but from what I can get hunted down he was at 14 ppg 7.5 rpb and 1 bpg while making all conference as a junior. As a senior, depending which site you read, he was between 16.9 ppg and 18.2 ppg and 8-11 rpg and 1-2 bpg and was named all state

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEBZftxN_Sg

He reminds me a lot more of Adam than Jake, which is good and bad. Jake doesn't get nearly enough love/respect from UNI fans for what he did here. He is one of just 4 players in conference history with at least 100 points, 500 rebounds, 200 steals and 200 assists (I believe those were the numbers) and that was after only being a spotty role player most of his freshman year. However, both Jake and Bennett got to redshirt here, Adam didn't as the team his freshman year (06) was quite depleted as both he and Jordan played as true freshman.

He needs to gain weight but remember that Adam wasn't a big looking post player either (from the NCAAs his JR year http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Robb ... nFwoul.jpg ) and he if could follow a similar path as Adam (http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player ... /adam-koch ) I think most UNI fans would be happy. Granted Adam was up to 255 by the time he was a senior. It will be interesting to see how much Bennett put on his frame from the 210 he was last season.

His floor isn't as high as Adam (who had offers from WVU and a couple other schools) or Jake when they came in, but his ceiling appears to be much higher. Adam was great inside but struggled from outside of 15 feet. Jake wanted to be an outside threat (though he was better inside) but was a great inside defender). Bennett seems to want to be more inside, like Adam.

All three have admitted, in some fashion, that Bennett has the most "raw talent" but it's if that can be turned into something. UNI fans sure hope so.

I also realize the post I quoted probably isn't the *best* one to quote but it stayed in flow of conversation.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby siudawgs » June 23rd, 2014, 1:48 pm

I'll play, though SIU's rotation is largely up in the air with no scholarship seniors, lots of newcomers and some redshirt decisions to be made.

1 - Beane/Goodwin (Beane moved to PG part-way through last season and thrived; Goodwin is a lightning-quick but small PG who redshirted last year).

2 - Smithpeters/Lavender/Glotta (Smithpeters played well enough as a freshman to remain in starting lineup; guessing either Glotta or Lavender will redshirt but not sure who)

3 - O'Brien/Pendleton/Fletcher (Like Smithpeters, O'Brien showed nice flashes as a freshman and will be needed to score more without Des. Pendleton is a man without a position but is hard-nosed and competitive; won't have to play as undersized post anymore).

4 - Olaniyan/Caroline/Weiher (Olaniyan could see time at the 4 or 5 but there is enough size now where SIU could play him as a burly PF if they want to go big. Either Caroline or Weiher could redshirt).

5 - Djimde/Leek (SIU will be bigger and physically stronger in the post this year but probably won't get much interior scoring).
siudawgs
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » June 26th, 2014, 10:11 am

Sounds like Bennett is up to 6'11 and about 220-225 lbss.

Obviously still needs size but he's done quite a bit of growing in one year.

Has the talent, just need to see it translate
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » June 28th, 2014, 9:51 am

My best guess?

Marcus Marshall
Austin Ruder
Ron Mvouika
Christian Kirk
Tyler McCullough

Loomis Gerring
Dorrian Williams
Gavin Thurman
Chris Kendricks
Camyn Boone

For the first time in a long time, I feel comfortable going 10 deep and being ok. Might not always go 10 deep but in times past if we got that far down the bench we were in trouble.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby sixth ace » June 28th, 2014, 7:10 pm

UE looking very similar to last season would be my best bet.This line-up was effective late last season. Putting the JUCO's,as first off the bench, is best guess how soon they get down the program. Mislav Brzoja red shirt last season.was very vocal and working with the team HC Simmons, in the MVC teleconference call ,says Brzoja is a good 1-4 player.

Here is what the Aces should look like.
5 Jr Egidijus Mockevicius/RS So David Howard/Sn Jaylon Moore
4 Jaylon Moore/JUCO JrWillie Wiley/JR Adam Wing
3 So Blake Simmons/RS So Mislav Brzoja/So Christian Benzon
2 Jr D J Balentine/JUCO Jr Tyler Stafford/Christian Benson
1 So Jaylen Brown/So Duane Gibson/Tyler Stafford

Good team coming back and growing and some practice competitors which will make all of them even better!
:bounce: :Yea!: :bounce: :buddies: ... :bounce: :Beer: :Yea!:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbird23 » June 29th, 2014, 10:48 am

Hunter
Purcell
Hawkins
McIntosh
Lynch

Lee
Knight
Wills
Jones
Hall
McCloud
Ransom
Ready for Arch Madness
Redbird23
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby wgslaw » July 1st, 2014, 9:57 am

Wichita State will most likely start Van Fleet, Baker, Cotton, Carter and Wamukota the 7 foot Juco center. Glass at 6’7 who is another Juco recruit will probably play a lot at 3 or 4. I wonder how much time the two RSF, Morris and Holland, will get due to the loaded freshman class.

The freshman are Eric Hamilton from Georgia-6’9 and still growing and a tremendous talent; Nurger from Estonia-a mature 6’10 who should contribute immediately and looks like a top flight MVC big man; Rashad Kelly from Virginia-6’7 PF who doesn't have much video but a lot of props; Zach Brown-6’7 SG from Houston who is athletic and with big time range; and Corey Henderson from Dallas-6’2 point guard who will probably spell Van Fleet. Nurger, Kelly and Brown are all prep school players. Two are from Sunrise Christian which is a prep factory loaded with high level D1 talent. It is a whole team-and a good one. With Marshall, you rebound and play defense or you don't play. Be that as it may, take a look at these videos of Hamilton, Nurger and Brown and explain to me how these kids are going to sit.

http://www.cityleaguehoops.net/2013/10/ ... -sleepers/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ4r-ZBCMXs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEe3ixBTdvA
wgslaw
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ahunte1 » July 1st, 2014, 10:13 am

If I had to guess Loyola's starting 5, it would be:

1. White
2. Doyle
3. Crisman/Ingram
4. Thomas
5. Jones (?)

But, with all the newcomers, it's hard to say. White, Doyle, and Thomas are the three I'm certain of.

Off the bench you have Turk, JUCO transfer Earl Peterson, and freshman Ben Richardson at guard. And, you have JUCO Montel James, freshman Rajala from Finland, and freshman Jay Knuth at forward.

If the guards off the bench can provide rest for Doyle and White, and if one or two of the big men can play right away (rebound), it's an improved team. Maybe out of Thursday night?
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball