Who is the best BIG in the MVC next year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Wufan » June 22nd, 2014, 7:07 am

I'm thinking guys that play in the post. In no particular order, guys I would consider are:

Tuttle, Buss (really a stretch 4), Mockevicius, Lynch, Carter, Shaw, Gant, Smith (SF?), Thomas (SF?), Barnes (SF?), Olaniyan, Taylor, Kirk, McCullough

Anyone I am forgetting?

Centers/post forwards would be: Tuttle, Mock, Lynch, Carter, Gant, Kirk…big drop off offensively, but lots of potential from these returning sophomores: Olaniyan, Taylor, McCullough.

Stretch forwards would be: Buss, Shaw (I think), Smith, Thomas, Barnes…it gets a little tricky here as there are several 6-5ish guard/forwards that play the 3. I didn't include them.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Who is the best BIG in the MVC next year?

Postby saluki762 » June 22nd, 2014, 8:27 am

I doubt either is top 5 but I am very curious as to how good the two transfers from Illinois will perform.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby saluki762 » June 22nd, 2014, 8:28 am

and Tuttle is the best.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » June 22nd, 2014, 9:13 am

Tuttle and Mockevicius are a cut above.

One guy you didn't mention was Jacob Enevold of Drake. Averaged about 5 points and 5 rebounds off the bench. He will start this season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up something like 10 points, 8 rebounds per game.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glm38 » June 22nd, 2014, 11:00 am

I agree that Tuttle and Mock are the best returning bigs. Not sure who I would pick between those 2? I would put Carter at #3 and he has the physical talent to be the best this year.

And for my homer pick I do think McCullough could move into the upper tier this year.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » June 22nd, 2014, 12:07 pm

Tuttle is clearly the best with mockevicous behind him then I'd have to go with my boy Reggie lynch for 3rd. The dude set the mvc freshman block record last year, if his offense continues to develop then he will be a force to be reckoned with on both ends. Tons of potential
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » June 22nd, 2014, 12:51 pm

DUBulldog wrote:Tuttle and Mockevicius are a cut above.

One guy you didn't mention was Jacob Enevold of Drake. Averaged about 5 points and 5 rebounds off the bench. He will start this season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up something like 10 points, 8 rebounds per game.

Yep! Forgot Enevold. He's solid, and a cut above the three freshman I mentioned as having "potential".
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » June 22nd, 2014, 12:58 pm

I think if I was building a team for one year only, I'd go:

1) Tuttle
2) Mock
3) Carter
4) Lynch
5) Gant

If I was building a team:

1) Lynch
2) Mock
3) Taylor
4) McCullough
5) Enevold
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 22nd, 2014, 1:29 pm

glm38 wrote:I agree that Tuttle and Mock are the best returning bigs. Not sure who I would pick between those 2? I would put Carter at #3 and he has the physical talent to be the best this year.

That's my vote. Mock, Tuttle, then Carter, with no doubt shuffling as the season goes on.

Tuttle's a proven commodity. Mock could be very, very good if he gets his conditioning issues worked out, and has a higher ceiling than Tuttle.. Carter will be the best if he makes the leap that Carl Hall did going from 5th man to starter, but that's a big if.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jackwagon » June 23rd, 2014, 4:37 am

Wufan wrote:I'm thinking guys that play in the post. In no particular order, guys I would consider are:

Tuttle, Buss (really a stretch 4), Mockevicius, Lynch, Carter, Shaw, Gant, Smith (SF?), Thomas (SF?), Barnes (SF?), Olaniyan, Taylor, Kirk, McCullough

Anyone I am forgetting?

Centers/post forwards would be: Tuttle, Mock, Lynch, Carter, Gant, Kirk…big drop off offensively, but lots of potential from these returning sophomores: Olaniyan, Taylor, McCullough.

Stretch forwards would be: Buss, Shaw (I think), Smith, Thomas, Barnes…it gets a little tricky here as there are several 6-5ish guard/forwards that play the 3. I didn't include them.

If im ranking those players on a list for just next season I would go-

Centers- Tuttle, Mock, Carter,Gant, Lynch,Kirk

Forwards- Smith, Buss, Thomas, Shaw, Barnes

Tuttle might be player of the year this year and I like How Carter and Gant put up big offensive numbers over Lynch's rim protection and limited offensive game.

Smith looks to be set up for a breakout year. Like his size and athleticism, also very underrated defensively. After Buss there is a whole bunch of ?? on the wings this year. Guard and Centers are strong. 3's and 4's look to be unproven.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball