Who is the best BIG in the MVC next year?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who is the best BIG in the MVC next year?

Postby Bmarq04 » June 23rd, 2014, 8:55 am

jackwagon wrote:I like How Carter and Gant put up big offensive numbers over Lynch's rim protection and limited offensive game.

I glanced at some stats over the last 1/2 of the year (I used the last 1/2 because Lynch and Carter were still getting accustomed to the D1 game the first 1/2). Based on those stats, I'd bump Lynch above Gant and Carter.

Lynch averaged 9.6 pts, 5.5 rebs, and 3.2 blocks in 23.2 min. He's the best at protecting the rim and his scoring was much improved later in the year getting into double figures 10 of the last 17 games. Rebounding #'s should improve but he fouled way too often.

Carter would be my next pick averaging 7.6 pts, 4.2 rebs, and 1 block in only 17.8 min. I put him above Gant because I think with extra PT this year, he will outperform Gant. And, if he gets enough PT and does show a Carl Hall like bump like some WSU fans are hoping, he could pass Reggie and challenge for Tuttle and Mock.

Gant averaged 9.1 pts, 3.6 rebs, and .8 blocks in 24.6 min. I just don't think he brings enough to the rebounding and rim protection to pass Carter here.

For sure though, Tuttle and Mock are the clear 1 and 2.
Bmarq04
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jturner38 » June 23rd, 2014, 11:02 am

Gant was his best defensively his freshman year. But as his defense wore down over the years his offense stepped up. Really the problem with Gant is consistency. I'm hoping this year he will be consistent as he and K. Smith will have to carry the Sycamores this year I believe.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » June 23rd, 2014, 11:15 am

Bmarq04 wrote:
jackwagon wrote:I like How Carter and Gant put up big offensive numbers over Lynch's rim protection and limited offensive game.

I glanced at some stats over the last 1/2 of the year (I used the last 1/2 because Lynch and Carter were still getting accustomed to the D1 game the first 1/2). Based on those stats, I'd bump Lynch above Gant and Carter.

Lynch averaged 9.6 pts, 5.5 rebs, and 3.2 blocks in 23.2 min. He's the best at protecting the rim and his scoring was much improved later in the year getting into double figures 10 of the last 17 games. Rebounding #'s should improve but he fouled way too often.

Carter would be my next pick averaging 7.6 pts, 4.2 rebs, and 1 block in only 17.8 min. I put him above Gant because I think with extra PT this year, he will outperform Gant. And, if he gets enough PT and does show a Carl Hall like bump like some WSU fans are hoping, he could pass Reggie and challenge for Tuttle and Mock.

Gant averaged 9.1 pts, 3.6 rebs, and .8 blocks in 24.6 min. I just don't think he brings enough to the rebounding and rim protection to pass Carter here.

For sure though, Tuttle and Mock are the clear 1 and 2.

Great assessment! For curiosities sake, I looked at carter's numbers if he played 30% for time, or 5.3 minutes. That would put his total minutes at 23.1 minutes (virtually the same as Lynch). That would be Carter at 9.9 ppg and 5.5 rebounds as well as 1.3 blocks. Clearly, Lynch has the rim protection advantage, otherwise they were extremely similar in production, meanwhile Gant is really lacking in rebounding.

Tuttle and Mock are very, very good.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » June 23rd, 2014, 11:56 am

One advantage for Carter is that he is great at trapping at the point of a full court press and can guard 6'5 stretch 4s. With his long arms he is a serious factor on the full court press.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » June 23rd, 2014, 3:17 pm

I like Carter a ton! I think he is a very good player. I didn't quite understand why he didn't start this year because I thought he was much better than Coleby. It is hard to argue with Marshall on that decision though with the season the Shox had.

I think he is due for a big year for the Shox this year. If Reggie Lynch improves he will definitely be in the running here as well. As others have said Tuttle and Mock are currently 1 and 2. I think Carter and Lynch have the potential to move into this top tier though. If Marty uses Mock like he should Mock could really blossom this year, but I really don't see their scheme changing with Ballentine still being there.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » June 23rd, 2014, 3:23 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I like Carter a ton! I think he is a very good player. I didn't quite understand why he didn't start this year because I thought he was much better than Coleby. It is hard to argue with Marshall on that decision though with the season the Shox had.

I think he is due for a big year for the Shox this year. If Reggie Lynch improves he will definitely be in the running here as well. As others have said Tuttle and Mock are currently 1 and 2. I think Carter and Lynch have the potential to move into this top tier though. If Marty uses Mock like he should Mock could really blossom this year, but I really don't see their scheme changing with Ballentine still being there.

Coleby was settled on as the starting center midway through the year. He provided a good chance to win the tip and a tone-setting defender to start the game. Bringing Carter off the bench also brought in a little more offense when we started subbing, which helped balance the rotation. Carter is also more of a natural 4 than a 5, but the PF spot was pretty well claimed last year. I'm curious to see how he does this year in what everyone assumes will be a slightly larger role.

Agree on Mock. I'm curious to see what sort of ball the try to play in Evansville this year. If it's the same ol, Marty has GOT to go.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » June 23rd, 2014, 7:35 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I like Carter a ton! I think he is a very good player. I didn't quite understand why he didn't start this year because I thought he was much better than Coleby. It is hard to argue with Marshall on that decision though with the season the Shox had.

Coleby was settled on as the starting center midway through the year. He provided a good chance to win the tip and a tone-setting defender to start the game. Bringing Carter off the bench also brought in a little more offense when we started subbing, which helped balance the rotation. Carter is also more of a natural 4 than a 5, but the PF spot was pretty well claimed last year. I'm curious to see how he does this year in what everyone assumes will be a slightly larger role.

Agree on Mock. I'm curious to see what sort of ball the try to play in Evansville this year. If it's the same ol, Marty has GOT to go.
Agree with both of these.

Mock really could be a 17/18 and 10 a night guy...but he needs more than 192 shots. He made half as many shots as DJ while taking 25% of the shots that DJ did. If DJ doesn't stay under 425 shots and Mock doesn't get too closer to 300 this year (which won't happen) Evansville is going to be exactly where they were this year.
Last edited by uniftw on June 24th, 2014, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby rlh04d » June 23rd, 2014, 11:42 pm

I don't think starting under Marshall means all of that much. Orukpe was technically the starter the year prior, but I don't think he'd qualify as a "starter" under any measure except being on the court when the game began.

Orukpe and Coleby both seemed to "start" more because of the opening tip than anything else. Maybe for the initial interior defense as well.
rlh04d
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby havoc » June 24th, 2014, 6:55 am

uniftw wrote: Mock really could be a 17/18 and 10 a night guy...but he needs more than 192 shots. He made half as many shots as DJ while taking 25% of the shots that DJ did. If DJ doesn't stay under 425 shots and Mock doesn't get too closer to 300 this year (which won't happen) Evansville is going to be exactly where they were this year.

Look at his stats. When Mock stays out of foul trouble, he is a 17 and 10 a night guy already. If he continues to work on his quickness and defensive positioning, he will be just fine. He scored 14 or more points 11 times last year. Games in which he had limited offensive production were more a result of not being able to stay on the floor than because DJ was taking all of the shots.

Let's not forget, Mock has been in this country for less than two years. He showed up on campus his freshmen year a few weeks into the school year and hardly spoke a word of English. All things considered, his progression has been pretty impressive.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » June 24th, 2014, 7:42 am

havoc wrote:
uniftw wrote: Mock really could be a 17/18 and 10 a night guy...but he needs more than 192 shots. He made half as many shots as DJ while taking 25% of the shots that DJ did. If DJ doesn't stay under 425 shots and Mock doesn't get too closer to 300 this year (which won't happen) Evansville is going to be exactly where they were this year.

Look at his stats. When Mock stays out of foul trouble, he is a 17 and 10 a night guy already. If he continues to work on his quickness and defensive positioning, he will be just fine. He scored 14 or more points 11 times last year. Games in which he had limited offensive production were more a result of not being able to stay on the floor than because DJ was taking all of the shots.

Let's not forget, Mock has been in this country for less than two years. He showed up on campus his freshmen year a few weeks into the school year and hardly spoke a word of English. All things considered, his progression has been pretty impressive.

Given MVC officiating we know he will struggle with fouls no matter what he does. It's the same reason Austin Pehl (who wasn't even a slightly below average player, granted) averaged 16.8 fouls per minute. He was a BIG body that didn't run away from people coming at him.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball