NBA Draft

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

NBA Draft

Postby glm38 » June 25th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Big day for Cle Early coming up. Sure hope he goes in the 1st round. Most of the latest projections I've seen have him going late 1st round. I think he'll end up being a solid pro regardless of where he goes.

It's been surprising how Doug has moved up over the last few months. He's projected as a lottery pick in some of the mock drafts now. One service went so far as to call him the surest bet in the whole draft.

Unlike some I do like the NBA and it'll be cool to see two of our own playing at the highest level next year.

Good luck to both young men on their big day.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

NBA Draft

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: NBA Draft

Postby MVCfans » June 26th, 2014, 9:01 pm

Surprised that Early didn't go in the first round. The only reason that really matters is because of the guaranteed contract, but I have a feeling that Cle will play with a little bit of a chip on his shoulder and do quite well for himself.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby PantherSigEp » June 26th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Going to the Knicks. Who needs Melo?

Hope he does well, although it might be tough times in NYC for the foreseeable as far as the win column is concerned. He'll have probably won more games this year with the Shox than he might next year with the Knicks.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » June 26th, 2014, 9:22 pm

Murry played with the Knicks this last year, but they nabbed a couple of PGs, so I doubt he'll be back.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » June 26th, 2014, 9:25 pm

Hard to believe Cle isn't one of the 30 best players in the country. Still think he'll be a solid pro.

Doug went right about where he was predicted to go. Should be really interesting to see how his game translates to the pros.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Shoxfan11 » June 26th, 2014, 9:51 pm

glm38 wrote:Hard to believe Cle isn't one of the 30 best players in the country. Still think he'll be a solid pro.

Doug went right about where he was predicted to go. Should be really interesting to see how his game translates to the pros.

I think he is one of the best 30 players, but unfortunately the draft isn't about drafting the best player, but usually it's more about drafting to conserve your salary cap so you can make a big push for the star that's on the market. Was really hoping he would get in the first round and get that guaranteed contract but it seems that he's always played a little bit better with a chip on his shoulder.

From what I've read, analysts and Knicks' fans are very, very high on this draft.
Shoxfan11
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Rollbird5 » June 26th, 2014, 10:34 pm

Knicks got a steal I think Early will have a much better career than half of the guys in the first round. However I think it's a blessing in disguise he got drafted by the Knicks 2nd round. Will get to "play angry" with chip on shoulder and if melo leaves someone's got to do the scoring so why not early? Will be a good pro
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ictjay » June 27th, 2014, 7:13 am

Shoxfan11 wrote:
glm38 wrote:Hard to believe Cle isn't one of the 30 best players in the country. Still think he'll be a solid pro.

I think he is one of the best 30 players, but unfortunately the draft isn't about drafting the best player, but usually it's more about drafting to conserve your salary cap so you can make a big push for the star that's on the market. Was really hoping he would get in the first round and get that guaranteed contract but it seems that he's always played a little bit better with a chip on his shoulder.

From what I've read, analysts and Knicks' fans are very, very high on this draft.

I think he will end up with a good pro career. The money will come. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the salaries of the 1st round picks predetermined per the bargaining agreement?
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BCPanther » June 27th, 2014, 7:53 am

Doug is going to play in the NBA for a dozen years. Always be a solid contributor and be on teams that do nothing but win.

The Korver comparisons are laughable to me. Doug is head and shoulders above Korver.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » June 27th, 2014, 8:22 am

ictjay wrote:
Shoxfan11 wrote:

I think he will end up with a good pro career. The money will come. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the salaries of the 1st round picks predetermined per the bargaining agreement?

You are correct about salaries for 1st round picks so it's incorrect to say Early was drafted later based on the salary cap.

I think McDermott is really walking into an almost ideal situation for him. The Bulls need a versatile scorer. I think Doug might get the chance to play right away for a pretty good team.

Even though he went 2nd round NY might be a good fit for Cle too.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball