NBA Draft

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: NBA Draft

Postby jturner38 » July 15th, 2014, 11:36 am

Cdizzle wrote:I could be Grand Czar of the World but I choose to focus on sitting on the couch watching TV and eating those multi-flavored Cheetos, which is a real strong part of my game.

You are what your actions say you are. Melo has never been "put in a great situation?" Maybe not from your perspective, but his bank account would probably disagree. He has shown no desire to do the things necessary to be on a winning team. It's not like he's a rookie bound to a contract with a crappy franchise any more.

I could breakdown everything and prove my point but it would be waste bc you probably dont care. I been following Carmelo ever since Syracuse. I was referring to a good team. His supporting cast has been god awful. No he has not been put in a situation to win. Has he limited himself, well of course, everything is not as cut and dry as it seems to be. Part of it probably was the money but he did take a small pay cut to help the knicke bc he was suppose to make 129 mil. His only other better option was to go to the Bulls but that was only through a sign and trade and Phil Jackson didnt want what the Bulls were offering so New York was the 2nd best choice, best choice long term. And I said that he chooses where he puts his effort at bc he has shown the ability and has the ability to defend etc. But again you wouldnt care or you couldnt even debate it unless you watch alot of NBA like I do.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Rollbird5 » July 15th, 2014, 12:26 pm

jturner38 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:I could be Grand Czar of the World but I choose to focus on sitting on the couch watching TV and eating those multi-flavored Cheetos, which is a real strong part of my game.

You are what your actions say you are. Melo has never been "put in a great situation?" Maybe not from your perspective, but his bank account would probably disagree. He has shown no desire to do the things necessary to be on a winning team. It's not like he's a rookie bound to a contract with a crappy franchise any more.

I could breakdown everything and prove my point but it would be waste bc you probably dont care. I been following Carmelo ever since Syracuse. I was referring to a good team. His supporting cast has been god awful. No he has not been put in a situation to win. Has he limited himself, well of course, everything is not as cut and dry as it seems to be. Part of it probably was the money but he did take a small pay cut to help the knicke bc he was suppose to make 129 mil. His only other better option was to go to the Bulls but that was only through a sign and trade and Phil Jackson didnt want what the Bulls were offering so New York was the 2nd best choice, best choice long term. And I said that he chooses where he puts his effort at bc he has shown the ability and has the ability to defend etc. But again you wouldnt care or you couldnt even debate it unless you watch alot of NBA like I do.

Bill Simmons just wrote this article looks perfect to what you guys are debating, talks some about the best players he's played with and best teams.
http://grantland.com/features/carmelo-a ... ks-legacy/
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jturner38 » July 15th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
jturner38 wrote:

Bill Simmons just wrote this article looks perfect to what you guys are debating, talks some about the best players he's played with and best teams.

That was a good article and spot on. I agree with everything he said.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Born2Shock » July 15th, 2014, 2:13 pm

jturner38 wrote:
Rollbird5 wrote:
jturner38 wrote:I could breakdown everything and prove my point but it would be waste bc you probably dont care. I been following Carmelo ever since Syracuse. I was referring to a good team. His supporting cast has been god awful. No he has not been put in a situation to win. Has he limited himself, well of course, everything is not as cut and dry as it seems to be. Part of it probably was the money but he did take a small pay cut to help the knicke bc he was suppose to make 129 mil. His only other better option was to go to the Bulls but that was only through a sign and trade and Phil Jackson didnt want what the Bulls were offering so New York was the 2nd best choice, best choice long term. And I said that he chooses where he puts his effort at bc he has shown the ability and has the ability to defend etc. But again you wouldnt care or you couldnt even debate it unless you watch alot of NBA like I do.

That was a good article and spot on. I agree with everything he said.

So he had a chance to go to Chicago and compete for a title, but for less money. Instead he chose to stay in NY and sign a bigger deal. He could have put himself in a position to win with the Bulls, but turned it down. How does that prove anything other than he is about the money?
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » July 15th, 2014, 2:33 pm

At least Cle can look into the stands and admire LaLa from the bench! He has that going for him.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » July 15th, 2014, 6:33 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:At least Cle can look into the stands and admire LaLa from the bench! He has that going for him.

He won't start but I'd be the sees court time. Especially since you seem to be predicting that he won't.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby saluki762 » July 15th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Born2Shock wrote:So he had a chance to go to Chicago and compete for a title, but for less money. Instead he chose to stay in NY and sign a bigger deal. He could have put himself in a position to win with the Bulls, but turned it down. How does that prove anything other than he is about the money?

He would have left 60 million on the table to go to the Bulls. He is much smarter by taking the Knicks money and putting faith in Phil Jackson. No guarantee he wins a ring with the Bulls and he loses 60 million dollars. Let me repeat that again........60 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!

If the difference was a couple of million, I would agree that this was a bad move but it was 60 MILLION DOLLARS. Unless you are a couple of billion deep, you would be incredibly stupid to leave that on the table.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jturner38 » July 15th, 2014, 9:34 pm

What you fail to realize the ONLY way he could go to the Bulls was through a sign and trade. The teams have to agree to the deal in order for him to go. Knicks were not taking Boozer. But the only way they would of took him if Bulls offered Gibson which the Bulls were not gonna do.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Born2Shock » July 16th, 2014, 6:55 am

saluki762 wrote:
Born2Shock wrote:So he had a chance to go to Chicago and compete for a title, but for less money. Instead he chose to stay in NY and sign a bigger deal. He could have put himself in a position to win with the Bulls, but turned it down. How does that prove anything other than he is about the money?

He would have left 60 million on the table to go to the Bulls. He is much smarter by taking the Knicks money and putting faith in Phil Jackson. No guarantee he wins a ring with the Bulls and he loses 60 million dollars. Let me repeat that again........60 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!

If the difference was a couple of million, I would agree that this was a bad move but it was 60 MILLION DOLLARS. Unless you are a couple of billion deep, you would be incredibly stupid to leave that on the table.

Im not saying he did the wrong thing (especially financially, obviously), but as was pointed out previously, he has not shown much interest in trying to land on a title contender. Thats all that was being said. I dont know why some diatribe about an NBA eye test about defense got started.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » July 17th, 2014, 11:45 am

I do watch and follow the NBA pretty closely. Melo just isn't a top tier superstar at the same level as Lebron and Duncan for example. And I don't think he ever gets to that point. He's a terrific and gifted offensive player but he just doesn't have the all around game and mental toughness that the true greats have.

I don't care what "situation" he's in I don't think you win a title with him as your best player. When Melo was with Denver they actually got better the year after he was traded. And several of his former teammates were quoted as saying how it became more of a team game ( in Denver ) after he was gone.

I think Cle gets some PT this year. Maybe he'll even start with Melo but in that scenario he probably won't get many shots!
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball