"Historic Announcement" coming 7/9 (re: Conference Tourney)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: "Historic Announcement" coming 7/9 (re: Conference Tourn

Postby squirrel » July 8th, 2014, 1:08 pm

I realize iWireless is on your list as a "longshot" but they are a "no-shot" because it seats at most 9500 for hoops.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » July 8th, 2014, 1:11 pm

squirrel wrote:I realize iWireless is on your list as a "longshot" but they are a "no-shot" because it seats at most 9500 for hoops.

I don't see how this is an issue.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheAsianSensation » July 8th, 2014, 1:34 pm

As a reminder, the SEC tournament in 2018 is at Scotttrade. Odds are this announcement is tied to that factoid, but we'll see.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby lusuperfan » July 8th, 2014, 1:53 pm

unipanther99 wrote:The actual options, as I see them, including long shots:

1. Stay at Scottrade
2. Stay in STL, smaller arena (SLU arena or the St. Charles one --- gross)
3. Sprint Center, KC
4. Kemper or Memorial Aud in KC --- gross
5. United Center, Chicago
6. Sears Center, Hoffman Estates --- gross
7. New Depaul Arena near downtown Chicago
8. Century Link Center, Omaha
9. Wells Fargo Arena, Des Moines
10. Intrust Arena, Wichita
11. iWireless Center, Moline, IL
12. Las Vegas (Thomas & Mack, MGM, Orleans, etc.???)
13. Return to on campus/host sites

Miss anything?

I think it starts to rotate between Scottrade, Sprint, and the UC. Those are the three biggest markets in the MVC area; going to a smaller arena/market won't make as much sense.

I really hope it's not a return to on-campus/host sites. We just came from the Horizon League which might have the worst conference tourney in all of college basketball.

Also, as I've said before, if the new DePaul arena is actually built (still not a certainty considering IL and Chicago gov'ts have a boatload of debt, Rahm might not get reelected next year, there still isn't a shovel in the ground), there is no way DePaul will let Loyola host their conference tourney there. There's too much competition/even a little bad blood between the 2 programs.
lusuperfan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby squirrel » July 8th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
squirrel wrote:I realize iWireless is on your list as a "longshot" but they are a "no-shot" because it seats at most 9500 for hoops.

I don't see how this is an issue.

That's probably because Bradley and ISU have never been relevant since UNI became respectable.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » July 8th, 2014, 2:11 pm

lusuperfan wrote:

1. Stay at Scottrade
3. Sprint Center, KC

Miss anything?

I think it starts to rotate between Scottrade, Sprint, and the UC. Those are the three biggest markets in the MVC area; going to a smaller arena/market won't make as much sense.

I really hope it's not a return to on-campus/host sites. We just came from the Horizon League which might have the worst conference tourney in all of college basketball.

Also, as I've said before, if the new DePaul arena is actually built (still not a certainty considering IL and Chicago gov'ts have a boatload of debt, Rahm might not get reelected next year, there still isn't a shovel in the ground), there is no way DePaul will let Loyola host their conference tourney there. There's too much competition/even a little bad blood between the 2 programs.

So you're not OK with a host city also being home to a league team. Unless it's your team. I think we could probably all agree with that.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby lusuperfan » July 8th, 2014, 2:27 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
lusuperfan wrote:

1. Stay at Scottrade
3. Sprint Center, KC

Miss anything?

So you're not OK with a host city also being home to a league team. Unless it's your team. I think we could probably all agree with that.

No I'm not OK with downgrading and moving the tournament to a smaller stage. Des Moines, Wichita, Moline, and campus sites (helloooo half empty, 4500 seat Gentile Arena) are not on the same level as the Scottrade Center in St. Louis; the UC in Chicago and the Sprint Center Kansas City are.

I also personally think the drop in attendance is overblown. It was a perfect storm of a down year for most Valley teams and a historic run for WSU that basically turned this year's tournament into a snore-fest. Everyone knew Wichita St. was gonna win it and nobody else really had a chance at an at-large NCAA tourney bid. In three years, WSU will drop a little (They'll still be good and bring a ton of fans to St. Louis. They just won't be undefeated and in a totally different class than the other teams in the MVC) and a few other teams will be good enough maybe in a position for an at-large bid to make it an interesting weekend. Then you'll see fanbases that had a poor showing this year (Bradley comes to mind as a young team who can be a threat in a couple of seasons that had an embarrassing student section this year) boost attendance.

FWIW, My money says they announce some sort of rotation between 4 cities: STL, KC, CHI, and Indy. We have 2 schools in Indiana, and if the UC is booked for the B1G tourney, then it would mean Bankers Life would be open as well.
lusuperfan
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby isumvc1 » July 8th, 2014, 2:37 pm

there is NO WAY in you know where that the MVC tourney will ever be in Indy, NOONE would come to it in Indy. Not happening.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » July 8th, 2014, 3:01 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:As a reminder, the SEC tournament in 2018 is at Scotttrade. Odds are this announcement is tied to that factoid, but we'll see.

Couldn't they hold both at Scottrade since the MVC tourney is a week before the SEC?
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » July 8th, 2014, 3:02 pm

lusuperfan wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
lusuperfan wrote:I think it starts to rotate between Scottrade, Sprint, and the UC. Those are the three biggest markets in the MVC area; going to a smaller arena/market won't make as much sense.

No I'm not OK with downgrading and moving the tournament to a smaller stage. Des Moines, Wichita, Moline, and campus sites (helloooo half empty, 4500 seat Gentile Arena) are not on the same level as the Scottrade Center in St. Louis; the UC in Chicago and the Sprint Center Kansas City are.

I also personally think the drop in attendance is overblown. It was a perfect storm of a down year for most Valley teams and a historic run for WSU that basically turned this year's tournament into a snore-fest. Everyone knew Wichita St. was gonna win it and nobody else really had a chance at an at-large NCAA tourney bid. In three years, WSU will drop a little (They'll still be good and bring a ton of fans to St. Louis. They just won't be undefeated and in a totally different class than the other teams in the MVC) and a few other teams will be good enough maybe in a position for an at-large bid to make it an interesting weekend. Then you'll see fanbases that had a poor showing this year (Bradley comes to mind as a young team who can be a threat in a couple of seasons that had an embarrassing student section this year) boost attendance.

FWIW, My money says they announce some sort of rotation between 4 cities: STL, KC, CHI, and Indy. We have 2 schools in Indiana, and if the UC is booked for the B1G tourney, then it would mean Bankers Life would be open as well.

How many of these things have you been to? SIU, CU, and WSU have carried the attendance of the event over the past 12 or so years. CU is gone. And even at that SIU is so close fans don't have to buy All-Session tickets and stay the weekend or other sessions. MSU, Bradley, ISUr, and UNI can bring decent numbers when they are good, but still no where near the numbers of the above 3. Not enough to carry the attendance. If fans will only go when they think there team is going to win it, you'd better hope WSU or SIU plans on winning it the next 20 years, or it will be empty.

The tournament is dying. St. Louis is tired, there is nothing near the arena to do/eat that hasn't been done 20 times. Local interest is low/non-existent. And one of the perennial top attendance drivers is gone for good. Something has to change.

I have yet to grasp all the appeal of "market size." Market size only matters when the general public gives a crap about your product, which with the MVC Tourney, simply isn't the case any more. Market size says Loyola should have great ratings, but they don't.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball