"Historic Announcement" coming 7/9 (re: Conference Tourney)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: "Historic Announcement" coming 7/9 (re: Conference Tourn

Postby unipanther99 » July 10th, 2014, 6:42 am

Snaggletooth wrote:When is the last time any mvc team other than WSU got an at-large bid?

2007? Accepting some tournament winners after that would have received at large bids.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » July 10th, 2014, 7:33 am

unipanther99 wrote:
Snaggletooth wrote:When is the last time any mvc team other than WSU got an at-large bid?

2007? Accepting some tournament winners after that would have received at large bids.

I'd have to believe UNI in 2010 gets in as an AL if they won't win the tourney that year. UNI 09 was likely in but a bubble team.

Missouri State likely got screwed, a bit, in 2011 had a relatively weak OOC SOS
WSU was a bubble team that could be argued for having gotten in. Again, a relatively weak OOC probably hurt them. HOWEVER, if they don't lose that 5 point half time lead (and fall behind by 12 with 3 min left in the second half) both MSU and WSU likely get in.

2012 Creighton would have been an AL.

2013 Creighton would have been an AL.

Last season Indiana State shat their AL bid down their leg the last 1.5 weeks of the season
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » July 10th, 2014, 9:23 am

uniftw wrote:
unipanther99 wrote:

I'd have to believe UNI in 2010 gets in as an AL if they won't win the tourney that year. UNI 09 was likely in but a bubble team.

Missouri State likely got screwed, a bit, in 2011 had a relatively weak OOC SOS
WSU was a bubble team that could be argued for having gotten in. Again, a relatively weak OOC probably hurt them. HOWEVER, if they don't lose that 5 point half time lead (and fall behind by 12 with 3 min left in the second half) both MSU and WSU likely get in.

2012 Creighton would have been an AL.

2013 Creighton would have been an AL.

Last season Indiana State shat their AL bid down their leg the last 1.5 weeks of the season

Can I get some at-large prognositcations from a non-UNI fan. I mean, you guys are great and all, but you're usually .500 in January and still holding out hope for an at-large.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » July 10th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Championz wrote:Let's see some good hard facts to back up your flaming claims. When's the last time MSU outdrew WSU in all-session tickets?

If it's all cyclical, how come it's been over 15 years since MSU last made NCAA relevance and made the dance?

The All-Session thingy is a fallacy because many, many MSU fans purchase tickets for an individual session since we have so many STL locals. WSU people support the tournament in great numbers. Not a secret. But all-session ticket sale data is a red herring.

15 years is not really an adequate number for a full cycle. Why do I feel like Rust from True Detective rationalizing with you all? Holy cow.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » July 10th, 2014, 12:24 pm

It was my understanding that Elgin was supposed to be on the Cardinals/Pirates broadcast last night talking about the Valley for an inning or half inning or something. Did anyone actually hear the interview? I tried listening but Dan McLaughlin and Al Hrabsoskcy are so hard to listen to. I just couldn't get past the fifth inning or so.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » July 10th, 2014, 1:14 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:But all-session ticket sale data is a red herring.

Is there really any doubt as to who has been buying more non all-session tickets lately?

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:15 years is not really an adequate number for a full cycle. Why do I feel like Rust from True Detective rationalizing with you all? Holy cow.

If 15 years is not enough for a full cycle, then you are in the wrong league, maybe even the wrong division. I understand not making the tournament for 15 years. WSU has done it. Lots of teams do it. But I don't think you would have found any WSU fans saying that it wasn't that bad because it "hadn't been a full cycle." It was terrible, and it was unacceptable.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » July 10th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Drake would have had an at large in 2008 if they had not won at the MVC tourney. I think it is sort of cyclic, I remember one of the play in games during the 2008 MVC tournament, saying to the person next to me "what the heck has happened to Wichita?". Well, things obviously changed.
Further back, say early 80's, I can remember setting next to my brother at Vet's and asking him if he agreed with me that the Shockers could beat a lot of pro teams.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Turner » July 10th, 2014, 1:58 pm

As I listened to Elgin all I could think was that he didn't want to move it because it would create a lot of extra work for the valley. Whether it would have been good for the league to move to KC was irrelevant because he didn't want to have to work hard and moving would have required just that. Time for a change at the top.
Turner
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby saluki762 » July 10th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Aargh wrote:In my efforts to not be the most dense rock in the desert, I'm going to make a wild guess that saluki762 doesn't live in Carbondle. I doubt many SIU alums live in Carbondale. There's just not that many college grad jobs there to support a large alumni population.

It seems likely that there are more SIU alums living in STL than in Carbondale. There are probably a lot of SIU alums who have "a 20 minute drive" to Arch Madness.

I live right outside of STL and I an not a SIU alum.
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
B=====D ( )
saluki762
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » July 10th, 2014, 3:04 pm

saluki762 wrote:
Aargh wrote:In my efforts to not be the most dense rock in the desert, I'm going to make a wild guess that saluki762 doesn't live in Carbondle. I doubt many SIU alums live in Carbondale. There's just not that many college grad jobs there to support a large alumni population.

It seems likely that there are more SIU alums living in STL than in Carbondale. There are probably a lot of SIU alums who have "a 20 minute drive" to Arch Madness.

I live right outside of STL and I an not a SIU alum.

Well, now we all know you have at least one thing going for you. :bounce:
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball