NOY 2014-2015

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

NOY 2014-2015

Postby Rollbird5 » July 25th, 2014, 12:01 pm

I think ISUr has a good shot at producing the NOY as a lot of our potential as a team surrounds 3 newcomers and with some other teams having their best players as guys who have been in the program a year or 2 or 3. Wondering who from your respective teams you would "nominate" for a shot at the award.

I think if our team finishes top 4 in the league a lot of that will have to do with our newcomers stepping up and becoming the key pieces on the team. So here is my 3 way too early nominees if you will:

Devaughn Akoon-Purcell-most likely starting at 3/2 or first one off of bench IMO
Teddy Hawkins-starting 4
Mikyle McIntosh-interchangable with Purcell, one will start at 3 and other first off of bench IMO
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

NOY 2014-2015

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: NOY 2014-2015

Postby jturner38 » July 25th, 2014, 12:37 pm

Sycamores - Bennett is my first choice, Ethertington is my 2nd choice. I dont think the others will beat these 2 out.
jturner38
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » July 25th, 2014, 1:06 pm

I don't think any UNI players get the award.

Two with a chance

Paul Jeserpsen and Wyatt Lohaus.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » July 25th, 2014, 1:43 pm

I'm hopeful that WSU has the best newcomer next year in Zach Brown, but even IF he is, I highly doubt he wins the award, as he'll still be behind Cotton and strapped for playing time.

Whomever grabs the center position at WSU (Morris/Nurger/Glass) has a chance to produce well simply because they are stepping into a great situation to be successful.

I think if a WSU player wins the NOY, they have probably gone 18-0 again, and I don't think either is much of a possibility this year.

The list of guys I think have a chance (no particular order, except perhaps that I think ISUr is most likely to produce the NOY):
ISUr: Hawkins, McIntosh
Bradley: Cunningham
UNI: Jesperson, Lohaus
Evansville: Wiley

I'm excited about what looks like a solid influx of talent into the league.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » July 25th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I'm hopeful that WSU has the best newcomer next year in Zach Brown, but even IF he is, I highly doubt he wins the award, as he'll still be behind Cotton and strapped for playing time.

Whomever grabs the center position at WSU (Morris/Nurger/Glass) has a chance to produce well simply because they are stepping into a great situation to be successful.

I really like Zach Brown to have a standout career at WSU! Not sure if it will be year one or later, but he will be one to watch. Possible all freshman team candidate, but not a likely NCOY.

I'm going on record to say that the WSU starting center will not be Morris/Nurger/Glass, but it will be Bush Wamukota. At 7 foot, 235, he is athletic and strong, has good footwork, timing, and hands. He will be a beast underneath and I expect 20 minutes, 7 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 blocks per contest. Is that enough for NCOY? Probably not, but I believe he will prove a difficult match-up for Mockevicious, Lynch, and others. Nurger and/or Morris will complement him nicely.

Glass is another JUCO PF that is highly regarded, but perhaps a little raw. Here is a list of recent WSU JUCO PFs:

2015 - Darius Carter
2014 - Cleanthony Early
2013 - Carl Hall
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » July 25th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Drake's most likely candidates would be Reed Timmer and Ore Arogundade. I expect both to be in the starting lineup most of the season.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wufan » July 25th, 2014, 7:36 pm

Bradley: Shaw, Cunningham, and one of their JUCO guards are all candidates.
ISUr: Hawkins, McIntosh, and the JUCO swing are all candidates.
Wiley at UE and Jensen at UNI are good too.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » July 26th, 2014, 6:13 am

Loomis Gerring will be the guy for the Bears who gets the playing time combined with ability to be a NOY candidate. 6'5 Sleek and athletic, he played on the same excellent Vincennes Juco team as UE's Wiley and led that team in scoring and rebounding. He can do everything you want in a wing forward and is ahead of the other newcomers for the Bears in the drive for playing time immediately. Bear's other juco , 6'6 240, Camyn Boone, will play and is expected to provide some inside muscle, but right now his time looks more limited than Gerring's.

I love our 3 scholy frosh and think they represent the best threesome we've brought in together in a long time, but if the vets do what they should do, we may have the option of rs 2 of the three. Hard to tell right now; Roundtree is probably behind both Marshall and Williams at pg, Kendrix needs some weight and strength as a 6'5 wing, and Thompson at 6'6 is a stronger Weems clone who has had a really impressive summer, but again if Thurman, Mvouika, Kirk and the jucos play well, you can consider a rs for.

So it's Loomis for the Bears.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » July 26th, 2014, 7:07 am

BEARZ77 wrote:Loomis Gerring will be the guy for the Bears who gets the playing time combined with ability to be a NOY candidate. 6'5 Sleek and athletic, he played on the same excellent Vincennes Juco team as UE's Wiley and led that team in scoring and rebounding. He can do everything you want in a wing forward and is ahead of the other newcomers for the Bears in the drive for playing time immediately. Bear's other juco , 6'6 240, Camyn Boone, will play and is expected to provide some inside muscle, but right now his time looks more limited than Gerring's.

I love our 3 scholy frosh and think they represent the best threesome we've brought in together in a long time, but if the vets do what they should do, we may have the option of rs 2 of the three. Hard to tell right now; Roundtree is probably behind both Marshall and Williams at pg, Kendrix needs some weight and strength as a 6'5 wing, and Thompson at 6'6 is a stronger Weems clone who has had a really impressive summer, but again if Thurman, Mvouika, Kirk and the jucos play well, you can consider a rs for.

So it's Loomis for the Bears.

I was really impressed with Roundtree. I saw him play in the supersectional game when he played against tyler ulis who went to kentucky. Definitely outplayed him, he was a very solid point guard. I think he'll have a nice career at msu
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » July 26th, 2014, 7:23 am

uniftw wrote:I don't think any UNI players get the award.

Two with a chance

Paul Jeserpsen and Wyatt Lohaus.

Interesting note:

Bennett Koch has gained 22 lbs since his freshman year and is now listed at 6-9, 232. Should be a big help to the Panthers after a RS freshman season.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball