What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Rollbird5 » February 3rd, 2016, 6:42 pm

That's a Pretty cool looking helmet
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » February 4th, 2016, 10:50 am

As a fan of a school who cut football 20 years ago - I really miss tailgating on fall Saturdays.

There are 2 reasons to start football, in my opinion:
1. Boost enrollment/ alumni involvement. Look at Stetson, Mercer, and Campbell as some of the schools who have added football in the last 5 years or so. There are several other D-2, D-3, and NAIA schools who have done the same, but it's not really a fair comparison. But research shows that for every 1 football player that matriculates to a school, 2 others from his HS will come as well.

2. Boost exposure and revenues to the athletic department. This is mostly concerns FBS schools and "big boy" football. UMass, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, and South Florida have all started football teams to compete at the highest level.

I don't think #1 makes any sense for WSU. (Evansville - heck yes, but that's another topic.) The Shockers don't gain anything by adding football and joining with the MVFC. Playing FCS football doesn't seem to be a good cost/benefit move.

That leaves going FBS and joining either the Sun Belt, C-USA, or AAC. Sun Belt and C-USA might be lateral moves for basketball at best. The American has 12 teams, Sun Belt 11, and CUSA 13. Adding a 12th team would allow the Sun Belt to have a conference championship game. But is that a really $$ draw?

The HUGE money would be to find another school and join into the Big 12. That would make 2 divisions of 6 teams with a conference championship game. Is that a realistic possibility though? Now that I look, I see BYU out there all alone... hmm.

That would definitely be the dream scenario for WSU.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby GrandpaBear » February 11th, 2016, 12:15 pm

I haven't been here in ages but is WSU really serious about starting football? It doesn't make sense unless it's at the FBS level probably considering the start up investment but without a conference to play in how realistic is this? Is the MWC or AAC what you're going for?
GrandpaBear
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby RoyalShock » February 12th, 2016, 1:50 pm

GrandpaBear wrote:I haven't been here in ages but is WSU really serious about starting football? It doesn't make sense unless it's at the FBS level probably considering the start up investment but without a conference to play in how realistic is this? Is the MWC or AAC what you're going for?

There have been no definitive statements, but FBS would be the eventual goal and conference speculation would be primarily AAC, as they have more "like" schools. As for the seriousness, that's yet to be determined. Right now, it's just "on the table", along with every other possibility.

That said, I think the feeling is that if the consultants suggest that football would be a net positive to the university and city of Wichita, President Bardo will put the pedal to the metal.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby mathewson10 » February 12th, 2016, 3:45 pm

RoyalShock wrote:
GrandpaBear wrote:I haven't been here in ages but is WSU really serious about starting football? It doesn't make sense unless it's at the FBS level probably considering the start up investment but without a conference to play in how realistic is this? Is the MWC or AAC what you're going for?

There have been no definitive statements, but FBS would be the eventual goal and conference speculation would be primarily AAC, as they have more "like" schools. As for the seriousness, that's yet to be determined. Right now, it's just "on the table", along with every other possibility.

That said, I think the feeling is that if the consultants suggest that football would be a net positive to the university and city of Wichita, President Bardo will put the pedal to the metal.

I'm not familiar with the new football team process. Can a school start out right away as a FBS school? I know someone mentioned Florida International earlier but I wasn't sure if they went straight to FBS when they were created or if they played any FCS.
mathewson10
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby jwa123 » February 12th, 2016, 5:24 pm

mathewson10 wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:

I'm not familiar with the new football team process. Can a school start out right away as a FBS school? I know someone mentioned Florida International earlier but I wasn't sure if they went straight to FBS when they were created or if they played any FCS.

GOOD QUESTION & I am not sure of the answer so hopefully someone knowledgeable will come along with the correct answer. I do think, however, a new startup has to do a two year transitional period before being eligible for FBS football.

If so, where would WSU play FCS football for two years? I would imagine they would have to do so as an independent. I doubt the MVFC would be interested in a new startup as that would weaken the league overall for two years; having a strong league overall enhances the probability of more playoff invites. Also, why would UNI, MSU, SIU, ISUb or ISUr be in favor as they know they would be used as a ticket out of the MVC for WSU? Added to that why would the Dakotas and Youngstown be interested in adding a school for a mere two years that they have absolutely no connection with?

Like I said I hope someone more more knowledge comes along but if I am correct I think there is a two year transition period and WSU would have to do that as an independent.
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby SubGod22 » February 12th, 2016, 7:55 pm

If we have interest from say the AAC in adding us when football is up and running, it's possible that scheduling assistance would be given to help our transition so we wouldn't need a full FCS schedule. That would ease the transition into FBS and take some of the pressure away of scheduling as an Indy.

If there's no guaranteed interest and we still pursue football, I'm sure we could still schedule as an Indy in FCS as needed until something happened. That seems to be the recommendation from other college sports fans on another board. I do sincerely doubt that the MVFC would ever allow Wichita in knowing that we'd only be in as long as absolutely necessary to move up.

This all assumes that there's interest in a football playing Wichita. But we know that Wichita has talked to at least the MWC, and probably the AAC, about membership and I"m guessing that one or both at least said that if we had football it was possible. Maybe not a guarantee, but the door would have been opened and that's why we're seeing what we're seeing now.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UEACES80 » February 15th, 2016, 2:29 pm

The last team I remember joining FBS Football is UTSA. When the Roadrunners started they played some schools* that I had not even heard of before. They only played one year as a FCS team before moving up to FBS.

* Non Div 1 opponents of UTSA in 2011
Northeastern State (D2)
McMurry (D3)
Bacone (Bacon with an E on the end) - NAIA
Minot State - NAIA

So that is likely the sort of teams Wichita would have to backfill a schedule with.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » March 1st, 2016, 1:00 pm

Idaho and NMSU are officially, soon to be, out of the SBC and needing new homes.

Idaho is already Big Sky for all other sports. They will fight going back to the FCS but they won't win that. They'll drop football or be back in the Big Sky.

NMSU, OTOH, doesn't have that option. Would they be worth a phone call?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » March 1st, 2016, 1:04 pm

uniftw wrote:Idaho and NMSU are officially, soon to be, out of the SBC and needing new homes.

Idaho is already Big Sky for all other sports. They will fight going back to the FCS but they won't win that. They'll drop football or be back in the Big Sky.

NMSU, OTOH, doesn't have that option. Would they be worth a phone call?

They're getting kicked out of the sun belt?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball