What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Snaggletooth » July 26th, 2016, 12:01 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
Red wrote:The Big 12 is going to add 2-4 teams and the AAC could get raided for 1 or more teams - Cincy, Houston, UCONN, UCF have all been mentioned. Does this change the game for WSU? If the AAC was potemtially the best fit for you guys, are they still?

I don't think it changes much. It will be interesting to see what the XII does and I do expect them to go with 4. Can they work things out with BYU? The Cougars want to be in a power conference so maybe things do work this time. Is Colorado State really a top candidate? No doubt the XII would like to get back into the Denver market. One or both of those softens the damage to the AAC.

Will Texas really support Houston being invited? I doubt this and only see Houston getting in if Texas leaves and goes somewhere else or independent. Some talk about Memphis but I don't see it. Cincy is pretty much a lock and makes too much sense. Despite UConn having great basketball, I'm not sure if the XII believes that they really give them access to NYC like some claim. If they don't bring enough there, the distance will keep them out. UCF/USF I think come as a pair if there are two open spots, although the recent academic allegations against the Bulls may hurt one or both of them getting a chance. Maybe the XII would bring in UCF alone, but I'm not sure as that would be yet another island, which is why both together makes more sense.

Some people throw in Tulane because of academics and market but that's crazy talk if you ask me. Some other "wild card" options would come from the MWC. New Mexico is a land grant university with good basketball but football not so much. But it's also a well respected research institution. San Diego State would love to get into a better conference and they've tried before, that is a large jump from the XII footprint but wouldn't be a bad get. Decent football and great basketball and opens up southern CA. UNLV is always a possibility because of its location, but football is horrid. Though the possibility of a new stadium may help them. Still think it's a long shot.

Anyway, I see Memphis and UConn still being in the AAC regardless of what happens and that there is a major attraction for basketball. They'll still have a Texas presence if Houston is there or not which is also attractive to Wichita. And I'd think that if they lost Houston, they may look at adding another Texas school. Tulsa helps. They may not be great but they don't suck and there's always some level of potential there. Temple also ups the basketball strength with a solid program.

In my view, even if they lost Cincy, UConn and Houston, it's still probably more beneficial for Wichita should the opportunity present itself. But that's me.

BYU supposedly said they are highly interested and Texas evidently said they would support taking Houston.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby SubGod22 » July 27th, 2016, 11:35 am

That's true and if they go to 14 I think Houston is probably in. Word is the schools outside of TX aren't thrilled about yet another TX school. But if they get 3 others they'd probably go along. If BYU gets in and they can work around the "issues", then I think CSU comes with them and Cincinnati is the other.

That would leave Memphis and UConn in the AAC.

The MWC also brought up expansion at their Media Days.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » July 27th, 2016, 11:50 am

SubGod22 wrote:That's true and if they go to 14 I think Houston is probably in. Word is the schools outside of TX aren't thrilled about yet another TX school. But if they get 3 others they'd probably go along. If BYU gets in and they can work around the "issues", then I think CSU comes with them and Cincinnati is the other.

That would leave Memphis and UConn in the AAC.

The MWC also brought up expansion at their Media Days.

I think Memphis goes to the Big XII due to $$$ ... specifically FedEx Money. FedEx has already said they would sponsor a BIG XII championship game or a bowl if Memphis is included. Supposedly people with connections in Memphis are very comfortable with their chances to be selected.

Sorry if this was mentioned before. I didn't read through every post.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » July 28th, 2016, 9:07 am

Memphis people seem to be the only ones that believe that. I don't think that money will be enough for conference presidents to want to associate with their academics. It is the presidents that make the final decision and if BYU is involved I think that's why CSU has the upper hand. Memphis may be the weakest in terms of academics of anyone being considered. That hurts.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheAsianSensation » July 29th, 2016, 9:47 am

Something smells fishy overall to me. Big 12 was against expansion for so long and now are moving at an accelerated pace? I wouldn't be surprised if Texas (and Oklahoma) have something up their sleeve for 2026 when the GOR runs out.

Also, Wichita should pay attention because the miracle scenario is still in play. If the AAC absorbs enough blows, UConn can just abandon big-time football and move to the Big East, which may cause the need for the Big East to add a western public to balance out UConn....it would still take a miracle and several consecutive steps to play out, but we're seeing step 1 happen right now.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Ricardo del Rio » July 29th, 2016, 12:28 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:Something smells fishy overall to me. Big 12 was against expansion for so long and now are moving at an accelerated pace? I wouldn't be surprised if Texas (and Oklahoma) have something up their sleeve for 2026 when the GOR runs out.

Also, Wichita should pay attention because the miracle scenario is still in play. If the AAC absorbs enough blows, UConn can just abandon big-time football and move to the Big East, which may cause the need for the Big East to add a western public to balance out UConn....it would still take a miracle and several consecutive steps to play out, but we're seeing step 1 happen right now.

Thanks.
I always enjoy your commentary.
rdr
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » July 29th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Could be worth to note that Coastal Carolina is having difficulty meeting the requirements for their Sun Belt move...

No, I don't think MO State will be invited, nor do I think we would be say yes. But their name continues to come up.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » July 29th, 2016, 2:12 pm

MSUDuo wrote:Could be worth to note that Coastal Carolina is having difficulty meeting the requirements for their Sun Belt move...

No, I don't think MO State will be invited, nor do I think we would be say yes. But their name continues to come up.

They really aren't anymore.

They ran into a cart before the horse situation with stadium funding, but that's been taken car of.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » July 29th, 2016, 9:17 pm

uniftw wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:Could be worth to note that Coastal Carolina is having difficulty meeting the requirements for their Sun Belt move...

They ran into a cart before the horse situation with stadium funding, but that's been taken car of.

The vote was 9-4 in May against granting the state funding to expand the stadium to necessary requirements. Where are you seeing different?
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby uniftw » August 1st, 2016, 5:51 am

MSUDuo wrote:
uniftw wrote:

The vote was 9-4 in May against granting the state funding to expand the stadium to necessary requirements. Where are you seeing different?

You're way behind....
From over a month and a half ago....from a thread on a board you replied to after this was shared

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports ... 16977.html

Instead, Coastal Carolina ultimately found a way around the CHE, with the provisos – and the votes to override Haley’s vetoes of them – allowing the school to move straight ahead to the next step in the process, which is to seek approval from the state’s Joint Bond Review Committee.

The first proviso was to allow Coastal Carolina to bypass the CHE and take its engineering study along with the total cost of the project straight to the JBRC for approval. And because it was attached to an appropriations bill, it had to include some nominal level of funding to withstand a possible state Supreme Court challenge by the CHE, thus the second proviso involved $100,000 the school would repay, Henderson said.

The override of Haley’s veto 26 and veto 27, as they were identified, passed 96-12 and 77-16 in the House, respectively, and more narrowly in the senate – giving Coastal Carolina the support it needed by one vote.

Now it's just a matter of getting a final rendering, and scope, turned in for approval. They are on the same timeline for that that they would have been on if the CHE approved the funding in May
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball