What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby Wufan » March 26th, 2016, 2:14 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:The list of options would be very, very small for the Big East:

One of Dayton or St Louis (depending on how important duplicate markets are and if St Louis can re-establish a baseline)
One of Richmond or maybe a Boston-area school (market-based add; good basketball would help)

Wichita's only hope: root for UConn to drop football. They'll break the public/private seal on the conference, and Wichita can outplay St Louis and Dayton for that spot.

No VCU?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 26th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Wufan wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:The list of options would be very, very small for the Big East:

One of Dayton or St Louis (depending on how important duplicate markets are and if St Louis can re-establish a baseline)
One of Richmond or maybe a Boston-area school (market-based add; good basketball would help)

Wichita's only hope: root for UConn to drop football. They'll break the public/private seal on the conference, and Wichita can outplay St Louis and Dayton for that spot.

No VCU?

The same public/private problem that Wichita St has. They'll take Richmond over them.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Wufan » March 26th, 2016, 4:02 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:
Wufan wrote:

No VCU?

The same public/private problem that Wichita St has. They'll take Richmond over them.

I guess I missed it. If they take UConn then maybe WSU, but not VCU or Richmond? If Richmond then...?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » March 27th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Wufan wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:
Wufan wrote:]

No VCU?

I guess I missed it. If they take UConn then maybe WSU, but not VCU or Richmond? If Richmond then...?

Richmond is private. VCU/UConn/WSU are all public. What I think TAS is saying is that the expansion would not be SLU & WSU. No offense to WSU but they are not a big enough "get" to be the only public in a conference with 11 privates. UConn might be if they did not have football.

If SLU is the add, then another private would be added as well. Meaning Richmond would get asked before VCU or WSU.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby TheAsianSensation » March 27th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Wufan wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:
Wufan wrote:
No VCU?

If they take UConn as 11, I think Wichita would go as #12 for east/west balance, and VCU gets shut out.
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TheAsianSensation » May 5th, 2016, 2:09 pm

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/ ... /83937868/
New Mexico State conference realignment survey!

The relevant-to-the-Valley part: one of the options NMSU mentions parking basketball in the Horizon League while going indy in football. One would think that given the choice, NMSU would rather do that with us than with the HL....which probably means we've rejected NMSU.
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby shockalot » May 6th, 2016, 7:24 pm

TheAsianSensation wrote:http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/college/blogs/cruces-sports-extra/2016/05/04/nmsu-survey-regarding-conference-alignment-horizon-league/83937868/

The relevant-to-the-Valley part: one of the options NMSU mentions parking basketball in the Horizon League while going indy in football. One would think that given the choice, NMSU would rather do that with us than with the HL....which probably means we've rejected NMSU.

Very possible. On the other hand, maybe NMSU feels the HL is an upgrade that still gives them a chance of winning the conference, while they would probably be consistently middle of the pack MVC.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SubGod22 » May 7th, 2016, 10:08 am

shockalot wrote:
TheAsianSensation wrote:http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/college/blogs/cruces-sports-extra/2016/05/04/nmsu-survey-regarding-conference-alignment-horizon-league/83937868/

Very possible. On the other hand, maybe NMSU feels the HL is an upgrade that still gives them a chance of winning the conference, while they would probably be consistently middle of the pack MVC.

It's more logical that they talked to the MVC and Elgin said, "sorry, but we have teams that already bitch about travel and there's no way they'd vote for someone outside of IL or IN. Yes, I understand you'd probably be a top 3 program in the MVC, but strength doesn't matter to half of the schools here. They just want to be able to bus to as many places as possible because that's more important to them than a strong conference. And really, do you want to come to the MVC consider Wichita wants to leave? And I'm certain they're not the only school looking at the exits here. We're a dying conference. But if it were up to me, I'd gladly add you, but you'd have to convince those who refuse to spend money to increase their travel costs and I don't think that's likely. Check out the Horizon as I'm sure they're more open minded than some of our schools."
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Red » July 21st, 2016, 9:07 am

The Big 12 is going to add 2-4 teams and the AAC could get raided for 1 or more teams - Cincy, Houston, UCONN, UCF have all been mentioned. Does this change the game for WSU? If the AAC was potemtially the best fit for you guys, are they still?
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby SubGod22 » July 21st, 2016, 10:01 am

Red wrote:The Big 12 is going to add 2-4 teams and the AAC could get raided for 1 or more teams - Cincy, Houston, UCONN, UCF have all been mentioned. Does this change the game for WSU? If the AAC was potemtially the best fit for you guys, are they still?

I don't think it changes much. It will be interesting to see what the XII does and I do expect them to go with 4. Can they work things out with BYU? The Cougars want to be in a power conference so maybe things do work this time. Is Colorado State really a top candidate? No doubt the XII would like to get back into the Denver market. One or both of those softens the damage to the AAC.

Will Texas really support Houston being invited? I doubt this and only see Houston getting in if Texas leaves and goes somewhere else or independent. Some talk about Memphis but I don't see it. Cincy is pretty much a lock and makes too much sense. Despite UConn having great basketball, I'm not sure if the XII believes that they really give them access to NYC like some claim. If they don't bring enough there, the distance will keep them out. UCF/USF I think come as a pair if there are two open spots, although the recent academic allegations against the Bulls may hurt one or both of them getting a chance. Maybe the XII would bring in UCF alone, but I'm not sure as that would be yet another island, which is why both together makes more sense.

Some people throw in Tulane because of academics and market but that's crazy talk if you ask me. Some other "wild card" options would come from the MWC. New Mexico is a land grant university with good basketball but football not so much. But it's also a well respected research institution. San Diego State would love to get into a better conference and they've tried before, that is a large jump from the XII footprint but wouldn't be a bad get. Decent football and great basketball and opens up southern CA. UNLV is always a possibility because of its location, but football is horrid. Though the possibility of a new stadium may help them. Still think it's a long shot.

Anyway, I see Memphis and UConn still being in the AAC regardless of what happens and that there is a major attraction for basketball. They'll still have a Texas presence if Houston is there or not which is also attractive to Wichita. And I'd think that if they lost Houston, they may look at adding another Texas school. Tulsa helps. They may not be great but they don't suck and there's always some level of potential there. Temple also ups the basketball strength with a solid program.

In my view, even if they lost Cincy, UConn and Houston, it's still probably more beneficial for Wichita should the opportunity present itself. But that's me.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball