What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

What happens next?

Wichita St leaves for a better league
37%
Missouri St, IllinoisSt, UNI move up to FBS
25%
MVC expands
37%

Total votes : 107

Re: What's the next realignment domino to fall?

Postby MVCfans » October 17th, 2016, 4:28 pm

Not that it impacts the Valley, but it appears the Big 12 is not going to expand after all.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » October 18th, 2016, 11:05 am

It may impact the Valley. Or cause the Valley to not be impacted. It does mean that members of the B12 are on the clock to find new conferences.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 18th, 2016, 11:13 am

Cdizzle wrote:It may impact the Valley. Or cause the Valley to not be impacted. It does mean that members of the B12 are on the clock to find new conferences.

Basically, the same **** as 2010.

UT's ego almost ruined the conference and the conference decided to let UT do whatever it wanted so that the rest of the league had a home.

Same **** happened here.

Iowa Stat's AD came out and said that should UT leave the league Iowa State's best cases scenario is the MWC. Basically admitting the B12 would implode and be split between the B10 and SEC and acknolweding that Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska would never let them in the B10.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » October 18th, 2016, 11:57 am

Why would Iowa, Minny and Nebraska block Iowa State? I believe it is a Research School which meets a Big10 desired trait and is in the geographically footprint. Sure no large TV market but a couple of other boxes are checked off as well as a natural rival for the 3 schools you mentioned.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » October 18th, 2016, 11:58 am

No one would let ISU in the B10. They have no football, a good basketball program, and a small (relatively) market and fanbase. That doesn't get you added to a P4 conference. Same as KState. Interested to see what happens with KU.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » October 18th, 2016, 12:05 pm

I somewhat disagree due to the fact that the Big10 School Presidents / Chancellors or whatever Grand Poohbah title they carry all salivate over Research Schools.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aargh » October 18th, 2016, 12:41 pm

I don't think Texas will leave the B12. No one wants Texas. Oklahmon, on the other hand...I could see OU and OSU bolting for the SEC. That move would seem to benefit both the schools and the SEC.

There is an indirect impact on the Valley. The AAC and MWC are in a position to just wait for the B12 to implode. Then they will pick up the remnants that don't find homes in the P4 conferences. Those were the only, although unlikely, destinations that appeared to work if WSU wanted to leave the Valley. If the B12 had picked up Cincy or Houston, WSU could have made a pitch to join the AAC, possibly even picking up football if that were a requirement.

The B12 not expanding, and appearing on the verge of collapse stabilizes the MWC and the AAC for the time being.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 18th, 2016, 12:44 pm

UEACES80 wrote:Why would Iowa, Minny and Nebraska block Iowa State? I believe it is a Research School which meets a Big10 desired trait and is in the geographically footprint. Sure no large TV market but a couple of other boxes are checked off as well as a natural rival for the 3 schools you mentioned.

They add nothing.

No TV, no new eyeballs, no football competitiveness. Nothing.

The fact they are a natural rival is why they won't be voted for. UI is 1000000000000% against it. I can promise you Nebraksa would be as well. Minnesota and Illinois would be at least 80% against.

Biggest thing? No new TV sets.

Their AD admitted, on radio, today the only difference between Iowa State and Houston, Memphis, Tulane, etc.. is that they are already in the conference. I s*** you not, he said that over the air on radio.

UCONN and Kansas are the B10s next targets.
Iowa State knows that without UT and OU the are, at best, MWC.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » October 18th, 2016, 1:14 pm

I keep hearing KU to the B1G, but I'm not convinced. They can deliver the Kansas City TV market for basketball and they can provide some revenue from the NCAA basketball tourney, but is that enough to dilute the revenue from football by one more league member?

KU would get a full league share for football and provide absolutely nothing toward that revenue stream. KU might even hurt the football revenue stream because playing KU would be a game with fewer viewers than if a current B1G school played almost ANYBODY else.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » October 18th, 2016, 1:20 pm

Aargh wrote:I keep hearing KU to the B1G, but I'm not convinced. They can deliver the Kansas City TV market for basketball and they can provide some revenue from the NCAA basketball tourney, but is that enough to dilute the revenue from football by one more league member?

KU would get a full league share for football and provide absolutely nothing toward that revenue stream. KU might even hurt the football revenue stream because playing KU would be a game with fewer viewers than if a current B1G school played almost ANYBODY else.

B1G media revenue jumped to about 50M a year starting this year. Being able to package Kansas in that for basketball makes it worth it.

Kansas City is the 33rd media market in the country. The B1G currently has the 1, 3, 4(ish), 7, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23, 26, 27, 31, 35, 36, 41 media markets. If they can get 33 (Kansas City) and 30 (UCONN) you bet your ass they will.

I mean, they added Rutgers for god sakes.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball